Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawsuit against the Town Of Cheektowaga.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Could someone in the know find out which law firm is representing our town on this matter? Along with what we have spent so far on this one issue?

Don't they have a contract with Hodgson & Russ? Swiatek's employer?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Don't they have a contract with Hodgson & Russ? Swiatek's employer?
    That may have been only for contract negotiations. As the adopted 2013 budget only had allotted $10,000
    for Contracted legal services.

If you notice the Town attorney's duties - Handles all legal matters related to town business. Researches and answers questions posed by town officers or employees; handles claims and litigation that the Town may encounter.

Georgia L Schlager

The Town will have to appear and either answer the complaint or move to dismiss it within 20 days of it being served. So it should be known at that point who will be representing the Town if not the Town Attorney.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    From someone in the know I was just told there has been incompetence at all levels to this case.

The bulk of it at town hall by the personnel director and the board( incompetence via friends and family) lawsuit is filled with lies, some truths but when 20 men work together there will be some crudeness and toilet or sink humor. This I totally understand but you still can not sexually harass someone in the work place or any place for that matter. First off it lowers moral of our employees and lowers productivity. It is a liability to us property owners.

Her husband is the town fire inspector. I was told they are obviously connected to friends and family either through Tokasz Doyle connection or the William st/Sloan Rogowski group. These type of matters snowball when people who should not be hired in the first place are. Then when trouble pops up the town mishandles the situation because they can't fire anyone but try to re shuffle and sweep things under the carpet.

If I am wrong with any of this fill me in.

Now I'm curious if the husband ever asked the guys to knock it off if it was bothering the wife. I most certainly would.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    From someone in the know I was just told there has been incompetence at all levels to this case.

The bulk of it at town hall by the personnel director and the board( incompetence via friends and family) lawsuit is filled with lies, some truths but when 20 men work together there will be some crudeness and toilet or sink humor. This I totally understand but you still can not sexually harass someone in the work place or any place for that matter. First off it lowers moral of our employees and lowers productivity. It is a liability to us property owners.

Her husband is the town fire inspector. I was told they are obviously connected to friends and family either through Tokasz Doyle connection or the William st/Sloan Rogowski group. These type of matters snowball when people who should not be hired in the first place are. Then when trouble pops up the town mishandles the situation because they can't fire anyone but try to re shuffle and sweep things under the carpet.

If I am wrong with any of this fill me in.

Now I'm curious if the husband ever asked the guys to knock it off if it was bothering the wife. I most certainly would.
    the town can most certainly fire people for behavior like that, the town just chose not to. they all should be fired. there is such a thing as a "code of ethics" that every employees is required to sign. gorja, can you find us the "code of ethics?"

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Here is an issue. If they are all fibbing how do you narrow it down to who is at fault?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreTooth View Post
    the town can most certainly fire people for behavior like that, the town just chose not to. they all should be fired. there is such a thing as a "code of ethics" that every employees is required to sign. gorja, can you find us the "code of ethics?"
    But why?

It is a liability to us property owners.

Do you want to pay for this through your property taxes? I don't. We have elderly in our town that have a hard enough time as it is keeping up with the cost of living.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Here is what I should have asked when I started this thread.

In any town/city in Erie County what is the procedure a government employee supposed to take if they feel sexually harassed? The unions must have a procedure for reporting sexual harassment.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreTooth View Post
    Town Budget

I wish they had this in PDF text form. It would be much easier to work with.

I wonder how many of the candidates running for town board have read our budget.

What is the real salary? They only list one part of the compensation package. How much is the health care package costing us and benefit cost? What would the totals then be?

Town Budget

Originally posted by WNYresident:
    In any town/city in Erie County what is the procedure a government employee supposed to take if they feel sexually harassed? The unions must have a procedure for reporting sexual harassment.
    In most places, the person being harassed should first inform the harasser that what they are doing is unwelcome. If the behavior continues, report to immediate supervisor. If immediate supervisor is involved, report to their supervisor. In some workplaces, it's reported to the human resource department or personnel department.

It is very unlikely in this day and age that the Town of Cheektowaga doesn't have a Sexual harassment policy.

Georgia L Schlager

This is from the EEOC -

Facts About Sexual Harassment

Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Title VII applies to employers with 15 or more employees, including state and local governments. It also applies to employment agencies and to labor organizations, as well as to the federal government.

Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitute sexual harassment when this conduct explicitly or implicitly affects an individual's employment, unreasonably interferes with an individual's work performance, or creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work environment.

Sexual harassment can occur in a variety of circumstances, including but not limited to the following:
    •The victim as well as the harasser may be a woman or a man. The victim does not have to be of the opposite sex.
    •The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, an agent of the employer, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or a non-employee.
    •The victim does not have to be the person harassed but could be anyone affected by the offensive conduct.
    •Unlawful sexual harassment may occur without economic injury to or discharge of the victim.
    •The harasser's conduct must be unwelcome.

It is helpful for the victim to inform the harasser directly that the conduct is unwelcome and must stop. The victim should use any employer complaint mechanism or grievance system available.

When investigating allegations of sexual harassment, EEOC looks at the whole record: the circumstances, such as the nature of the sexual advances, and the context in which the alleged incidents occurred. A determination on the allegations is made from the facts on a case-by-case basis.

Prevention is the best tool to eliminate sexual harassment in the workplace. Employers are encouraged to take steps necessary to prevent sexual harassment from occurring. They should clearly communicate to employees that sexual harassment will not be tolerated. They can do so by providing sexual harassment training to their employees and by establishing an effective complaint or grievance process and taking immediate and appropriate action when an employee complains.

It is also unlawful to retaliate against an individual for opposing employment practices that discriminate based on sex or for filing a discrimination charge, testifying, or participating in any way in an investigation, proceeding, or litigation under Title VII.

Georgia L Schlager

Dogs, just dogs, keep her and fired the rest of those men LOL
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What would Mr. Weber say about this situation?

Buffalo Evening News Sept 8 1964

I was always a Bobby Kennedy fan

Georgia L Schlager

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information