Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amherst: Safest City in America

Thumbs up Amherst: Safest City in America

Amherst Again One Of America's Safest Cities
    WBEN Newsroom - Monday, November 21, 2005 05:03 AM

Amherst, NY (WBEN) -- Amherst's reputation as a "safe city" is once again backed up by a national ranking.

The Buffalo suburb is still the safest city in America, among those with populations of at least 100,000.

The yearly rankings from Morgan Quitno Press have just been released.

Amherst ranks third on the overall list -- behind two smaller cities: Newton, Massachusetts, and Clarkstown, New York.

Each year, the study review the most recent F-B-I data for the number of violent crimes in each city, including murders, rapes and armed robberies.

The "most dangerous cities" by this measure are: Camden, New Jersey, followed by Detroit and St. Louis.

Re: Amherst: Safest City in America

Originally posted by 300miles
    Amherst Again One Of America's Safest Cities
    WBEN Newsroom - Monday, November 21, 2005 05:03 AM

Amherst, NY (WBEN) -- Amherst's reputation as a "safe city" is once again backed up by a national ranking.

The Buffalo suburb is still the safest city in America, among those with populations of at least 100,000.

The yearly rankings from Morgan Quitno Press have just been released.

Amherst ranks third on the overall list -- behind two smaller cities: Newton, Massachusetts, and Clarkstown, New York.

Each year, the study review the most recent F-B-I data for the number of violent crimes in each city, including murders, rapes and armed robberies.

The "most dangerous cities" by this measure are: Camden, New Jersey, followed by Detroit and St. Louis.
    What about Cheektowaga? Helen Street's the next Compton.

some people just can't stand good news.

some people just can't stand good news.
    What kind of response were you looking for? A pat on the back for finding the article? Do you want someone to bake a cake for Amherst?

Is Amherst really a city?

With a population of 100K+, they ought to be. I think calling it a "town" is a bit misleading at this point.

Originally posted by ERIEMAN
    What kind of response were you looking for? A pat on the back for finding the article? Do you want someone to bake a cake for Amherst?
    Erieman - this section is titled "Positive Points of WNY". This article about Amherst being the safest city once again, is a positive point. What is your problem?

Erieman - this section is titled "Positive Points of WNY". This article about Amherst being the safest city once again, is a positive point. What is your problem?
    It would be really positive if Amherst stepped up to the plate and took on some of the responsibilities of a real city....Oooops that would mean they would have to allow public housing.

Originally posted by leets
    It would be really positive if Amherst stepped up to the plate and took on some of the responsibilities of a real city....Oooops that would mean they would have to allow public housing.
    There is public housing in Amherst. On French Road and off of Sundridge.

Let's keep this thread positive! Its a good thing Amherst is predominately white and affluent, otherwise they might have slipped down the list a little further.

Erieman - since you value diversity so much, why are you living in ELMA?? It is probably the whitest town in WNY.

Since you're so concerned with ethnic diversity maybe you should move to buffalo or lackawanna maybe. Put some action to your words instead of just complaining.

Originally posted by ERIEMAN
    There is public housing in Amherst. On French Road and off of Sundridge.

Let's keep this thread positive! Its a good thing Amherst is predominately white and affluent, otherwise they might have slipped down the list a little further.
    oH NO Erieman is Moadlib

Erieman - since you value diversity so much, why are you living in ELMA?? It is probably the whitest town in WNY.

Since you're so concerned with ethnic diversity maybe you should move to buffalo or lackawanna maybe. Put some action to your words instead of just complaining.
    I'm not complaining at all. I was being positive, because that's what this thread is about, right?

I could care less about ethnic diversity. What i do care about is Cheektowaga's "instead of putting in the effort lets try to catch 'em when they're actually robbing someone" attitude.

In 2000, there were exactly 6 black people living in Elma...
    http://censtats.census.gov/data/NY/0603602924130.pdf

I dindn't know that French/Sundridge was considered public housing... But some of those places took Section 8...?

Fortune Magazine, I believe recently listed East Amherst as one of the most desirable places to live... or something like that...

If you look at the "safest municipalites" list in the Buffalo Business First Book of Lists Amherst's ZIP codes are not listed at the top... Some farm towns whose names I do not remember are listed at the top...

The 14226 ZIP code was listed as being less safe thatn 14223 last time I checked.

The highest crime rate in the country I think belongs to a town in New Jersey... Florida I believe is the state with the highest crime rate. Miami ranks near the top for highest crime rate...
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Originally posted by Achbek1
    If you look at the "safest municipalites" list in the Buffalo Business First Book of Lists Amherst's ZIP codes are not listed at the top... Some farm towns whose names I do not remember are listed at the top...

The 14226 ZIP code was listed as being less safe thatn 14223 last time I checked.
    It has to do with the list criteria. The main list that Amherst tops every year is for cities over 100,000 people which excludes all those farm towns.

If your town has 6 people in it, most likely there won't be any crime.

It has to do with the list criteria. The main list that Amherst tops every year is for cities over 100,000 people which excludes all those farm towns
    Which goes to my original point that Amherst is not officially a city, correct?

How so? Amherst has over 100,000 people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information