Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has the WNY VA Been Forgotten by our State & Federal Leaders?

Has the WNY VA Been Forgotten by our State & Federal Leaders?

Sit up & take notice Secretary Shinseki! Call for Feeley's resignation! Buffalo deserves better!
    PoliticsNY.net
    Email: "Joe – I am a fan of your website & come here to read the truth. I feel as though I know your entire family at this point & am aware that your Dad receives care at the Veteran’s Hospital; care which has at times not met the high standards that it should. I am concerned that the standards of care will only worsen at our VA beginning soon.

The VA Western New York Healthcare System (Buffalo & Batavia facilities, plus all the outpatient facilities located between Niagara Falls and Olean) has lacked strong, solid leadership for well over a decade. This may sound harsh; however, the truth frequently is. The worst offender leading our VA was a gentleman by the name of William F. Feeley, who served as Director in WNY between 1998 & 2003.

One has to question how this man’s career ever advanced in the manner that it did. Feeley is presently serving in Washington at the Department of Veterans Affairs as the Deputy Under Secretary for Health for Operations & Management. The mess that Feeley left behind in Buffalo has yet to be cleaned up 6 years later.

We were finally blessed in WNY to receive in December 2008 an Interim Director who has made remarkable strides in only a few short months. Finally a leader that the VA WNY Healthcare System deserves! David West is someone who can lead the WNY VA into the future & see to it that the system is able to meet the needs of our newest heroes when they return home.

A Veteran himself, West is a man of honor & integrity who doesn’t miss a beat! I challenge anyone to spend 5 minutes with this gentleman & not be impressed & see what he has to offer to Veterans healthcare. Unfortunately, any day now, perhaps as early as tomorrow, an announcement will come naming William F. Feeley as the Director of the VA WNY Healthcare System.

You see, his boss, Dr. Michael J. Kussman, Under Secretary for Health, has decided to retire (rather than resign). The housecleaning has begun at the Department of Veterans Affairs in Washington & Feeley has made his deals to bring him back to Buffalo until he reaches age 65.

My question is, where is our Congressional & Senate delegation in this regard? Amongst others, Brian Higgins, Louise Slaughter, Chuck Schumer, Kirsten Gillibrand… where are you?

Why are you not jumping up & down screaming to keep David West as the permanent Director of the VA WNY Healthcare System?

Why do you not feel that the over 40,000 Veterans who are served by the WNY system deserve the very best?

Why should the VA WNY Healthcare System be a dumping ground for old politicos & be run by a lame duck awaiting retirement who not only has over 30 years of various Federal service, but who was an ineffective leader when he was apparently “in his prime” between 1998 & 2003?

Feeley already had his chance in Buffalo. It’s someone else’s time to lead now, someone equipped to handle the future, someone who cares about the future. Delivering David West to WNY in December was a Christmas Miracle. Perhaps our elected & appointed officials can now very quickly deliver an Easter Miracle by keeping David West in WNY on a permanent basis.

“With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan – to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace, among ourselves, and with all nations.” – Abraham Lincoln

Thank goodness that Illuzzi is staying on top of it!

Now it's time for all you elected politicians to stop the move from actually happening! I wonder if we'll actually hear anything or get any reaction from our illustrious Congressional delegation or our Senators?!

"Mr. Illuzzi: Great post regarding the Buffalo VA Hospital, a place frequently forgotten except for political photo opportunities. Sadly, at 8am today the announcement was made regarding the naming of William F. Feeley as the Buffalo VA's next Director effective June 21, 2009. The posturing & the deals that were made months ago in the event that Sec. Shinseki began cleaning house are both amazing & shameful.

Politics should not come into play at the Department of Veterans Affairs, especially where healthcare is concerned! Feeley has children & gradchildren in the Western New York area, so this is where he gets to be put out to pasture until it's time for him to collect a full retirement check.

Just what the Buffalo VA & the entire community need!

I would have expected better from both Obama & Shinseki where Veterans are concerned. Furthermore, if Feeley possessed the qualities of honor, dignity, respect & service like those men & women serving our Country, he would either resign from his present post in Washington or graciously turn down the Buffalo position & allow the Buffalo VA to continue to prosper under the direction of David J. West, FACHE.

It's not election time, but I would challenge all of our NY State & Federal officials to delve further into this situation & keep the Buffalo VA out of the hands of William Feeley. I hope our officials are up to this challenge, show that they really do care & get back to us with some good news right here. We Veterans will not forget this political atrocity when election time does roll along.

God bless you for your fine work Mr. Illuzzi. God Bless America."

Thank Goodness for Illuzzi?

You're kidding right? That slime-ball POS doesn't deserve anything but a one-way ticket out of this state!

Go **** Yourself!

!!

Being a War vet myself and attending the Buffalo VA for my treatments. I've been saying it for many years the VA has no interest in helping Veterans in the proper manor. When the hospital worries about giving VALET parking instead of making better parking areas is just plan stupid.

Four years ago, I was attending my Veterans group as outpatient of Batavia meeting with the group in Niagara Falls for three (3) years. When I requested to move closer for group to either back to Batavia or Buffalo, I was dropped from the group. Why, as it was told to me by VA staff..."There is nothing more we can do for you."

This is how the VA system helps veterans. Not ever vet comes up against this type of replies its a more pick and choose system for VA staffers. It's been in my book, and always has been in my book..."You go off to WAR come home wounded either physically or mentally you have ever right to get the best treatment under your GI Bill."

Disabled veterans are under paid, under cared for, and not like or all vets would have been getting the best or the best care, some get less.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

!!

It doesn't matter who Washington puts in to the Buffalo VA system, they are all politicians, and the bottom line is how cost effective can you be for your boss in the White House. Veterans are nothing more than a number to Feeley, West, or any other dude. What needs to happen is a massive cleaning out of the all old guard at Buffalo and Batavia. Did you know there are staffers there with more then 20 years in. My old group leader has 34 years in place no wounder I have no more group therapy.

" You really want change put a veterans in Buffalo, and I mean a grassroots, disabled veteran one who still struggles with his issues, one who knows how veterans think, and knows the needs of veterans both current and past veterans; otherwise, veterans will still be paying the price to make the White House look good."
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Riv - I hear you! But one thing I have to tell you is that David West really is different. He doesn't tolerate the bu!!***** & the Federal employee "poster children". If you go to him with a problem, if it's not resolved within 24 hours, at least you get a status response from him within 24 hours. He doesn't sit on anything! There was recently a problem in the road in front of the VA brought to his attention. You can't imagine how quickly he had the City of Buffalo out there fixing it! He had big plans for the future of the VA which included a lot of changes, including getting rid of a lot of trash, if you know what I mean, but now you're going to see the VA really go down the tubes!

CSense - say what you want about Illuzzi, but this is an important matter. Yet, do you see the Buffalo News or any of the Buffalo TV stations reporting on it or doing some big exposee on the deals that were made to send this Washington slug, Feeley, back to Buffalo until he's ready to fully retire? I can assure you that well over a month ago elected officials were contacted about this deal "going down" - the Buffalo VA is in Louise Slaughter's District & her office didn't want to get involved. Brian Higgins is constantly pictured with Veterans & thought to be a friend to Veterans & our 2 State Senators should want to look into & expose "stench" within the Dept of VA that's bringing Feeley back to Buffalo - all three offices said "they'd look into it" & get back to the people who brought this to their attention. To this day - NOTHING! At least Illuzzi had the ba!!s to bring the matter to the attention of the public.

We have 2 1/2 months left to stop Feeley from returning to Buffalo. Let's keep fighting!

Shinseki a Disappointment as the Secretary of Veterans Affairs

I don't care how decorated a Veteran Shinseki is, he's already involved in one of the smelliest political deals in Washington & naturally, Buffalo is on the receiving end of it!

politicswny.com

Email: "BRAVO! Mr. Illuzzi, you had the intestinal fortitude to bring to the public’s attention a matter that no one seems to care about – Veterans Healthcare. I’m not seeing any newspapers or television stations picking up on this story. Hopefully it will get picked up & you will have once again scooped everyone else in this regard!

I must concur with everything written here & add what an absolute “slug” Bill Feeley is. His background is in Federal Corrections. Feeley is gruff, crass & classless. He’s like a bull in a china shop. The Veterans & employees are nothing more than a different type of prisoner in his eyes. Bill Feeley is not the person to lead the VA Hospital into the future. If Bill Feeley, with well over 30 years of Federal service, feels that he needs to continue working, the Bush Family has a stake in the vending machines in Federal prisons – certainly they could get him some type of appointment watching over their vending business & return Feeley to the environment for which he is best suited.

An excellent point made by one of your readers was the inquiry about where our elected & appointed officials are right now when the Veterans need them to put a stop to this negotiated “dump Feeley in Buffalo” deal. I can assure you that they were contacted about this quite some time ago. I have the utmost respect for these officials, but must express my disappointment. The Bailey Ave. VA Hospital is in Louise Slaughter’s District, as are 3 of the VA’s Outpatient Clinics. Her office did not wish to get involved in this matter whatsoever. Brian Higgins & Chuck Schumer are allegedly friends of the Veterans, but obstacles were met in dealing with them. Ditto with Gillibrand.

To this day, no one from these 3 offices has had the courtesy to get back to those contacting them in this regard as promised. I will not embarrass anyone by naming whose office stated that the Veteran vote is too small & too insignificant for them to become involved, to investigate, or to put a stop to this disgraceful deal that was made in Washington, D.C. to return Feeley to Buffalo rather than have Sec. Shinseki sign off on David West being named Buffalo’s next permanent Director.

I thank you for being a friend to our American Heroes. I feel confident that you will not allow this matter to fade away & get swept under a political rug. If Bill Feeley’s Buffalo appointment is effective 6/21/09, there are still many folks who have 2 ½ months to assure that Bill Feeley does not get himself “taken care of” at the expense of the Western New York Veteran population."

Say NO to Politics as Usual Where our Veterans are Concerned

www.politicswny.com

"Well now Joe, thanks to you, I certainly do see the bigger picture as to why neither Congressman Higgins nor any of our other elected Democratic Federal officials give a rip that Secretary Shinseki (the man that has been labeled as "no one more distinguished, more determined, or more qualified to build this VA…"; he who has "the courage to stand up for our troops and our Veterans..." because "we don't just need to better serve Veterans of today's wars, we also need to build a 21st century VA that will better serve all who have answered our nation's call…") is already involved in one of the smelliest political deals in Washington, D.C. with Buffalo/WNY being on the receiving end of it! Shinseki sure as heck doesn’t want William F. Feeley around his administration, but Feeley the has-been (if he ever was at all – certainly not when he previously ran the Buffalo VA Medical Center) is good enough to dump in Buffalo because no one pays attention to Buffalo, NY, right? This deal between Shinseki & Feeley was months in the making. I have to wonder what Shinseki got in return for holding the Buffalo position open for Feeley for all these months instead of naming David West the permanent Director of the VA WNY Healthcare System immediately following his confirmation?

Please don’t stop enlightening & educating us. Just like the information regarding the deaths of 5 more soldiers, except for you, no other news outlets or any elected officials seem to care about the state of our very own VA Hospital."

I cannot resist throwing in my two cents worth about William F. Feeley being named as the next Director of the WNY VA. People’s comments about Feeley have been much too kind. Calling Feeley a “slug” is an insult to slugs. I won’t even touch upon his uselessness when he previously ran the Buffalo VA. While providing sworn deposition testimony less than two years ago in a suit regarding Veteran suicide rates & Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Feeley, the No. 3 man at the Dept. of Veterans Affairs in Washington, D.C., had this to say when asked if any regional health care network directors had been disciplined or demoted because of increased rates of suicides or attempts - “A suicide does not mean negligence on the part of a medical center director or a network director. Suicide occurs just like cancer occurs."

VA Psychiatrists on the other hand were very much concerned about both the quality & quantity of behavioral health care that was available for Vets, as was the Inspector General. Feeley issued a memo in June 2007 based upon critical findings by the Office of the Inspector General in this regard. He could not provide information at his deposition when asked as to whether the policies in his memo had been implemented by all VA’s, because to determine this "we will be spending millions of dollars related to auditing procedures." This was followed by the question "If those millions of dollars resulted in the saving of one veteran's life, wouldn't they be worthwhile?" Feeley answered: "I think we have to make tough judgments in the industry on how to best measure success."

Unlike Feeley, at least his boss, Dr. Michael Kussman, had the decency to resign & then change that into a retirement announcement because of the discontent that exists about the way he directed the VA, especially in the area of mental health treatment for Veterans. Feeley doesn’t have enough class to step down. Actually, he lacks any class whatsoever, but the ego sure is there! Unfortunately, Secretary Shinseki, in the dirtiest political deal of the year, kept this bad apple Feeley in the system & decided to transfer him to Buffalo, NY. Here of course no one would find Feeley & neither the WNY Congressional delegation, nor the US Senators representing the great State of New York, would make a peep about the whole dirty deal. After all, their sentiments seem to be, “it’s only the VA.”

!!

I hear ya, those pot wholes were getting big. How about West getting rid of the dumbest thing the VA system has ever done that is that dumb stupid valet parking. What they should to is build a big enough ramp and attach it to the building getting us old vets out of that high wind. Do you know what we call the VA hospital these days...The Hill ! Because its so windy...

Quote Originally Posted by WB_2004 View Post
    Riv - I hear you! But one thing I have to tell you is that David West really is different. He doesn't tolerate the bu!!***** & the Federal employee "poster children". If you go to him with a problem, if it's not resolved within 24 hours, at least you get a status response from him within 24 hours. He doesn't sit on anything! There was recently a problem in the road in front of the VA brought to his attention. You can't imagine how quickly he had the City of Buffalo out there fixing it! He had big plans for the future of the VA which included a lot of changes, including getting rid of a lot of trash, if you know what I mean, but now you're going to see the VA really go down the tubes!

CSense - say what you want about Illuzzi, but this is an important matter. Yet, do you see the Buffalo News or any of the Buffalo TV stations reporting on it or doing some big exposee on the deals that were made to send this Washington slug, Feeley, back to Buffalo until he's ready to fully retire? I can assure you that well over a month ago elected officials were contacted about this deal "going down" - the Buffalo VA is in Louise Slaughter's District & her office didn't want to get involved. Brian Higgins is constantly pictured with Veterans & thought to be a friend to Veterans & our 2 State Senators should want to look into & expose "stench" within the Dept of VA that's bringing Feeley back to Buffalo - all three offices said "they'd look into it" & get back to the people who brought this to their attention. To this day - NOTHING! At least Illuzzi had the ba!!s to bring the matter to the attention of the public.

We have 2 1/2 months left to stop Feeley from returning to Buffalo. Let's keep fighting!
    Riven37
    _________

!!

Isn't this Shinseki the guy who wants to re-write the book on the meaning of Combat status is. I think it was in my last month DAV Magazine about him.
    Riven37
    _________

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    Veterans are nothing more than a number to Feeley, West, or any other dude.
    Our men and women deserve much, much better. I absolutely despise hearing this type of treatment towards men and women who put their lives on the line to serve our Country.
    Last edited by Anotherview; April 14th, 2009 at 12:17 AM.

Please trust me when I tell you about West not being like the rest of them. EVERYTHING at the Buffalo VA is going to go down the tubes if he doesn't get to stay on as the Director. It is so difficult to get rid of a Federal employee, which is why the place is full of slugs. West was going to get rid of the worst offenders. West had a lot of plans for that place had he been able to stay on as Director. There needs to be a public outcry by Veterans bombarding their Senators & Congressional delegation to get West to stay before they remove him from Buffalo. West is the only chance the hospital stands! I contacted VA Watchdog.org, who have written bad things about Feeley & know what a bad apple he is & what a stinky deal was made to return him to Buffalo, but even VA Watchdog.org won't pick up this story & do anything for us here in Buffalo. It's very, very sad.

You should call West & let him know about how you feel about the valet parking. Your opinion does count!

A parking ramp is going up, but I believe that construction was delayed by a year because of $$$.

From www.politicswny.com:

"We’re approaching the one month mark since you broke the story about William F. Feeley, old, do nothing, political hack being returned by Secretary Eric Shinseki from Washington, DC to Buffalo to be the Director of the VA WNY Healthcare System. The man has over 30 years of service in the Federal system, most of which was in the field of Federal Corrections. There were even some rumors in January about Feeley embezzling from the Dept of Veteran’s Affairs, but that’s been hushed. It’s time for Feeley to retire rather than run the Buffalo & Batavia VA’s & all their outpatient programs into the ground. Here are just a few kind examples of the type of person we’ll be dealing with in William F. Feeley:

http://www.vfvc.net/pages/canandaigua_letters.htm
    http://www.vawatchdog.org/07/nf07/nf...nf051607-3.htm http://www.vawatchdog.org/07/hcva07/hcva101807-1.htm
    http://www.vawatchdog.org/08/nf08/nf...nf050608-6.htm

When William F. Feeley was the VA Director here in Buffalo between 1998 & 2003, his way of dealing with problems was to sweep them under the rug. In 2009, Feeley’s yet unresolved problems can still be found under the same rugs in Buffalo. Six years has not been enough to clean up after Feeley. The Buffalo VA needs to move forward, not sweep more under rugs, especially with all our new heroes returning home.

If only the public knew about the layer of middle management slugs at the VA who are making obnoxious salaries; many of whom were hired or promoted during Feeley’s last reign of terror. This bunch can hardly wait for Interim Director David J. West to leave & Feeley to return! David J. West dared to challenge them & their ways. David J. West actually made them work. David J. West actually made them accountable. They all knew that if West was named as the permanent hospital Director, many would be gone or would be replaced. They’re in all their glory now that Feeley is returning. One manager in particular is strutting around like a peacock. West would remind her that he’s the Director & kept her on a short leash. This manager now knows that she’ll be able to get away with murder once again & will be untouchable under Feeley. She’s already executing her plans & her agenda with Feeley’s blessings & her agenda does not include anything that is of benefit to the Veteran population. A defeated David J. West was not even allowed to do this particular manager’s mid-year performance review; a review which, for the first time in 11 years, would have been truthful & revealed her for what she really is.

With Feeley back in Buffalo, the Veterans will no longer be the priority at the VA Hospital. That sounds funny, but it’s true. It’s all about Feeley. There will be no interaction with the King who will not leave his 11th Floor castle. On the rare occasions that Feeley will allow the little people to see him, he will be surrounded by an entourage, very much unlike David J. West. You never know where you’ll find West – roaming around visiting with Veterans, speaking with employees & discussing their jobs with them, at an evening or weekend meeting with Veterans or with staff when everyone else in management is home relaxing… not to mention that his office door is always open to everyone, employees & Veterans & their families & friends.

David J. West has made a remarkable difference in his 5 months at the Buffalo VA. The VA WNY Healthcare System should not have to pay the price for a dirty political deal to take care of William F. Feeley that began the day after Election Day ’08. Senator Schumer was in town in late March to discuss opening a local Veterans’ Cemetery; a noble, needed cause & great photo op for Schumer. But how about worrying more about keeping our Veterans alive & well with a first rate healthcare system! That’s where the Buffalo VA was headed under David J. West’s direction. West is the future. West will turn our hometown VA into a model VA for the rest of the Country to covet. Isn’t that what the over 40,000 Veterans who are serviced at the hospital yearly deserve? I challenge Brian Higgins, Louise Slaughter, Charles Schumer & Kristin Gillibrand to step up already & stop the reassignment of William F. Feeley to the position of Director of the VA WNY Healthcare System. Higgins & Gillibrand have an agenda here in Buffalo tomorrow. How about a stop at the VA too? Isn't Len Lenihan a Veteran? Doesn't he want to see his fellow Veterans receive the healthcare that they deserve?"

The above appearing on the Illuzzi Letter made me really sit up & take notice of something else that I read:

"... the Office of Government Ethics presented VA its 2008 Ethics Program Award... Acting General Counsel Jack Thompson noted that "receiving this award is particularly significant in light of President Obama’s and Secretary Shinseki’s stated commitment to the highest ethical standards as evidenced by President Obama’s Executive Order entitled “Ethics Commitments by Executive Branch Personnel” and Secretary Shinseki’s February 20, 2009 letter to all VA employees on adherence to highest ethical standards of government ethics.” "

They have to be kidding! Obama & Shinseki preaching ethical standards when they made a dirty political deal happen that returns William F. Feeley to the Buffalo, NY VA Medical Center next month?!?!?! I've seen it all now! Why isn't the media, the Congress & the Senate all over this? Didn't we put people in office to look out for our interests and for check & balance purposes, rather than to cover-up & condone unethical political deals that take care of has been politicos like Feeley who don't have the class, honor, or integrity to resign/retire when they should?

www.politicswny.com
    "Mr. Illuzzi: I've been following your site for the news on what's happening with regard to a new Director for the Buffalo VA Hospital. Although William F. Feeley's transfer from the position of VHA Deputy Under Secretary for Health to Buffalo VA Director is a matter that actually requires nothing short of a House Ethics Committee investigation, I am sorry to report that your WNY Federal delegation just doesn't care about the matter. A few offices advised me that they actually knew nothing about the matter (Spare me! As if anyone doesn't know that reading your website comes before coffee in the a.m. for any politico.), one office did not wish to get involved in the situation (read that with a polite, lady-like, Southern drawal), and one office said that Feeley's return to Buffalo is a deal that is done & untouchable. I say that the only true done deal in this earthly life is death. I hope that those fighting to keep David J. West, FACHE in Buffalo as the permanent hospital director continue their fight & hold their elected officials accountable.

I am sad to say that with regard to Veteran's Rights, these are the Senators & Congresspeople who are truly on board:

Sen. John Kerry; Sen. Tom Harkin; Sen.-Elect Tom Udall; Cong. Jim Moran; Senator Jim Jeffords; Cong. Ed Pastor; Cong. Bob Filner; Cong. Harry Mitchell; Cong. Gerald McNerney; Cong. Joe Baca; Cong. Barbara Lee; Cong. Ellen Tauscher; Cong. Susan A. Davis; Cong. Joe Courtney; Cong. Ron Klein; Cong. Sanford Bishop; Cong. Hank Johnson; Cong. Jim Marshall; Cong. Dan Lipiniski; Cong. Brad Ellsworth; Cong.-Elect Brett Gutherie; Cong. Charlie Melancon; Cong. James McGovern; Cong. Michael Michaud; Cong. Tim Walz; Cong. Carol Shea-Porter; Cong. Donald Payne; Cong. John Hall; Cong.-Elect Eric Massa; Cong. Robert Brady (D-1st NC); Cong. Heath Shuler; Cong. Shelley Berkley

Eric Massa is the closest to Buffalo. Is it any wonder that no official elected by the voters of WNY is paying any attention to the VA! It's why someone like William F. Feeley, who has botched a budget to the tune of billions; dropped the ball with regard to mental health care for our returning troops; is always unavailable for comment with regard to the hiring practices & special bonuses for some in VA's across the Nation; has been mentioned as a major player in an embezzlement scheme, etc... has been rewarded over the years by former President Bush with promotions & is now being rewarded by this new Adminsitration with a job - a transfer to Buffalo!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information