Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodlawn Beach gets the axe in NYS budget cuts

Woodlawn Beach gets the axe in NYS budget cuts

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story...65728&catid=37

When it wasnt closed due to water polution, Woodlawn Beach has always been a great spot to enjoy the summer months.

Good it was a waste anyways,put a beach next to a sewer plant.

Quote Originally Posted by GRANDPOOBA View Post
    Good it was a waste anyways,put a beach next to a sewer plant.
    It was closed more than open, I agree it was a waste

You both realise that the water pollution did not come from the sewer plant, right?

I know that Mark I worked at Beth.Steel back in the 70's.Just that a sewer plant next to a state park just don't sit well.Also the smell during the hot summer days has to turn people away.

Budget questions

May be a bit off topic but, Does anyone know if there is a web site to find out exactly where all the state budget money goes ? I would like to see exactly what special interest groups got how much money. i have been hearing rumors that there are a lot of groups that still are getting state funding but yet they are private groups that you and I may never get to use or maybe should have been cut before many other more important line items.
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

I agree with the other posters. The beach was a good idea in principle, but untrustworthy due to the pollution levels. honestly, i would never consider going there BECAUSE of the fact that one day it would be open, the next day closed due to pollution. What a waste.

I do, however, think the Town of Hamburg should look into utilizing the facilities there better. Its still a nice piece of real estate.

The beach and facilities are not owned by the Town. It is State property.

Right. I realize that.
    Again, its a piece of state property that will now be mostly vacant and unused w/o the beach. The town-- maybe recreation or youth services -- should figure out a way to better utilize its facilities.

Maybe I missed something. Are you saying the Town should use the facilities at Woodlawn Beach or just that they need to make better use of their facilities, i.e. Town Park, now that there will be people looking for a place to swim.

Quote Originally Posted by thevillagebrainstorm View Post
    The beach was a good idea in principle, but untrustworthy due to the pollution levels. honestly, i would never consider going there BECAUSE of the fact that one day it would be open, the next day closed due to pollution. What a waste.
    All of the publicly accesible beaches along our shoreline have come under scrutiny due to runoff pollution. Woodlawn, Hamburg, Evangola, Wendt, etc. Ages-old sewer/storm drainage laws have allowed pollution to enter the lake. The untreated drainage enters Lake Erie at every source, and when bacteria levels are checked, the beaches get closed. When it rains, it pours! After any decent rainfall, the water gets contaminated.

But the beaches along Lake Erie are one of our regions greatest natural assets. To lose access from even one of them, due to budget reductions, simply sucks.

You'll still be able to use the beach, as you did before when the bacteria counts were high. Hell, you can still go in the water too. There won't be any lifeguards tho....
    Fully stimulated...

Who in would swim at Woodlawn beach next to a sewer plant.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsitall View Post
    You'll still be able to use the beach, as you did before when the bacteria counts were high. Hell, you can still go in the water too. There won't be any lifeguards tho....
    You sure about that. Without life guards I can't see the State allowing people to use their beach and swimming.

Who

Quote Originally Posted by GRANDPOOBA View Post
    Who in would swim at Woodlawn beach next to a sewer plant.

Who would put a beach next to a sewer plant in the first place?

Who owned the property prior to the state buying it and turning it into a beach?
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information