Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey You almost got invaded

Hey You almost got invaded

I see that GW had plans on sending troops after Lackawanas finest.

Report: Bush mulled sending troops into Buffalo

WASHINGTON – The Bush administration in 2002 considered sending U.S. troops into a Buffalo, N.Y., suburb to arrest a group of terror suspects in what would have been a nearly unprecedented use of military power, The New York Times reported.

Vice President Dick Cheney and several other Bush advisers at the time strongly urged that the military be used to apprehend men who were suspected of plotting with al Qaida, who later became known as the Lackawanna Six, the Times reported on its Web site Friday night. It cited former administration officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The proposal advanced to at least one-high level administration meeting, before President George W. Bush decided against it.

Dispatching troops into the streets is virtually unheard of. The Constitution and various laws restrict the military from being used to conduct domestic raids and seize property.

According to the Times, Cheney and other Bush aides said an Oct. 23, 2001, Justice Department memo gave broad presidential authority that allowed Bush to use the domestic use of the military against al-Qaida if it was justified on the grounds of national security, rather than law enforcement.

Among those arguing for the military use besides Cheney were his legal adviser David S. Addington and some senior Defense Department officials, the Times reported.

Opposing the idea were Condoleezza Rice, then the national security adviser; John B. Bellinger III, the top lawyer at the National Security Council; FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III; and Michael Chertoff, then the head of the Justice Department's criminal division.

Bush ultimately nixed the proposal and ordered the FBI to make the arrests in Lackawanna. The men were subsequently arrested and pleaded guilty to terrorism-related charges.

Scott L. Silliman, a Duke University law professor specializing in national security law, told the Times that a U.S. president had not deployed the active-duty military on domestic soil in a law enforcement capacity, without specific statutory authority, since the Civil War.

W wasn't going to invade it was Cheney. W stopped him reread the article.

do you have a link? It's not that I don't believe you I just want to goto the site and read this
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    do you have a link? It's not that I don't believe you I just want to goto the site and read this

Here ya go its in todays News also

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090725/..._domestic_raid

Quote Originally Posted by runningdownadream View Post
    W wasn't going to invade it was Cheney. W stopped him reread the article.
    Make no Difference the Burka wearers almost got there asses kicked.

Is anybody listening?

If-IF Cheney got his way and we had U.S. troops apprehending the Lackawana Six, legal or not it would have set a precedent probably resulting in a Constitutional Amendment to MAKE it legal to dispatch our military at the President's whim (Cheney's).

There is no way in hell that Dick Cheney did NOT know that this action was unconstitutional as Bush Jr. and him repeatedly showed contempt for the law in the form of Bush's signing statements in addition to invading a soveirgn nation with NO evidence, thank you Mr. Powell making HUGE books from book deals and tours.

Jesus. The United States army apprehending six clowns that the FBI did a SUPERB job of doing?!

Can you picture this army raid on TV? Talk about using FEAR to keep the population in control?

Seeing a couple hundred U.S. military in the streets would have made a LOT of citizens wet their pants!

What bites is that IF Cheney's unconstitutional military raid DID go through-
    They WOULD have gotten away with that (precedent) as they did with the rest of the crimes they rubbed the public's face in.

And the super-scummy media would have somehow justified this action.
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Lackawanna was not almost invaded.

Sending the military to arrest a group of terror suspects was not Lackawanna being invaded. The reason the military was considered was because it was a matter of national security.
    Last edited by tiredofbs; July 25th, 2009 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tiredofbs View Post

Sending the military to arrest a group of terror suspects was not Lackawanna being invaded. The reason the military was considered was because it was a matter of national security.
    After I read that Dick Cheney wanted tanks and heavily armed troops in the streets for reasons of "national security" I was not surprised given Cheney's shameful history of lying and cheating to get his way no matter who suffers.

I wonder if any other VP in history approached Dick Cheney's control of the nation?

I know that once Ronald Reagan began exhibiting symptoms of Alzheimer's that the VP took over many of his duties, but Cheney? WOW.
    That guy scares the HELL out of me.

And the FBI & other law enforcement did an outstanding job*** of handling this VERY over-rated raid;They NEVER needed the army because these six clowns were under heavy surveillance and those handling the case KNEW that they didn't have an arsenal or WMDS or silos with nukes on their lawn and other scary things.

I do not even want to IMAGINE the things we have not nor ever will hear of that Dick Cheney WANTED to do to the country.
    Its the stuff of nightmares.

***Credit must be given where its due...
    Last edited by Dumbfounded; July 25th, 2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Added a few sentences
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

I want to know how all those clowns settled in Lackawana any way

Very overated raid,I don't think so.

Very overated raid,I don't think so. Feds were justified in doing what they did to close this chapter in Lackawanna's history. By the way the one on the loose in Yemen always used to talk crap about the USA back when I was in high school with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466 View Post
    I believe we would all like to know the answer to that. Sad thing is they were American born. Myself, family and friends were very upset about it. No true American wants that going on in their neck of the woods. Back when it happened many Lackawanna citizens boycotted businesses operated by members of that race.
    Last edited by tiredofbs; July 26th, 2009 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by runningdownadream View Post
    Very overated raid,I don't think so. Feds were justified in doing what they did to close this chapter in Lackawanna's history. By the way the one on the loose in Yemen always used to talk crap about the USA back when I was in high school with him.
    Absolutely the Feds were justified. It was a matter of national security.

I believe we would all like to know the answer to that. Sad thing is they were American born. Myself, family and friends were very upset about it. No true American wants that going on in their neck of the woods. Back when it happened many Lackawanna citizens boycotted businesses operated by members of that race.

I still do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466 View Post
    How did all the Polish,Irish or Germans for that matter? What difference does it make.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information