Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better Educated?

Better Educated?

Byron Brown said last night on the News that he has a "better education" than Kevin Helfer.

Wow!

I guess he's saying that PS No. ? in Queens and Buff State are better schools than St. Joe's and Canisius.

This is the second time Brown dissed St. Joe's. He also refused to attend their traditional debate a few weeks ago.

Gee Byron, you're trying real hard to lose my vote. (My father went to Canisius.)

Jim Ostrowski
    St. Joe's '75

PS: And if you are so well educated, why can't you answer this question:

"Why has Greater Buffalo steadily declined in the last 45 years, losing people, jobs and businesses, compared with other metropolitan areas in the nation, including many in the Northeast?

http://www.speakupwny.com/forum/show...&threadid=5311

Byron isn't from the area so I will cut him slack on the Canisus-St. Joe's-Bishop Timon loyalties. I went to South Park but so far he hasn't dissed Warren Spahn, the greatest athlete to come out of WNY and a South Buffalo Boy.
    I think maybe Byron is refering to the year of grad school he did at Harvard.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

y2000
    Originally posted by citymouse
    Byron isn't from the area so I will cut him slack on the Canisus-St. Joe's-Bishop Timon loyalties. I went to South Park but so far he hasn't dissed Warren Spahn, the greatest athlete to come out of WNY and a South Buffalo Boy.
    If it wasn't for the sign by the park I never would have heard the name Warren Spahn.

This makes him better educated? How?
    Why only one year? Couldn't handle the curriculum?

This guy is so good at saying and doing nothing and his supporters eat it up!
    Man is Buffalo sunk.
    If it wasn't for their Control board they already would be gone!

Is that really grad school--was degree did he get?

Originally posted by y2000
    If it wasn't for the sign by the park I never would have heard the name Warren Spahn.

How old are you?
    Spahn was the greatest left hander to ever pitch. He is in the Hall of fame and there is a whole section just devoted to him in Cooperstown.
    I guess from your prospective fame is fleeting.
    Or are you just throwing a slap to us South Buffalo guys and you really do know who he is?
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

Originally posted by LHardy

This makes him better educated? How?
    Why only one year? Couldn't handle the curriculum?

This guy is so good at saying and doing nothing and his supporters eat it up!
    Man is Buffalo sunk.
    If it wasn't for their Control board they already would be gone!
    At least he isn't lying all the time like his less than honerable republican opponent.
    It would sink a lot deeper than that if Helfer is elected. The partnership would be at the helm and paladino wuld reign supreme. We would be right back to wasting taxpayer money with nothing getting done, only this time we would have Joel in the mix.

y2000
    How old are you?
    Spahn was the greatest left hander to ever pitch. He is in the Hall of fame and there is a whole section just devoted to him in Cooperstown.
    I guess from your prospective fame is fleeting.
    Or are you just throwing a slap to us South Buffalo guys and you really do know who he is?

I never heard of him. Until I read your post I thought he played football.

And your from South Buffalo? Quite yanking my chain. If you are serious that you never heard of him type his name in on your search and see what you come up with.

Now that Brown has said that Dennis Gorski is the greatest county exec ever, I have to say, as one who bitterly fought the Gorski machine, anyone who votes for Brown has, as they say, "drunk the Kool-Aid."

Gorski was the classic Buffalo machine politician.

Buffalo started to decline around 1960.

Gorski was on the Erie County Legislature in the early 70's. He was in the State Assembly from 1975 through 1987. He was County Executive from 1988 through 1999.

So, counting backward from the time he left office, Gorski held power for about 27 of the 39 years of Buffalo's decline.

Also, he supported numerous Democratic candidates who also held power during that time, including Mario Cuomo.

What did he do to reverse Buffalo's decline? Nothing that I'm aware of.

When he was in the State Legislature, he did little or nothing to deal with Medicaid and pensions (who should by now be eligible for a big fat one himself).

And this guy is our greatest ever?

I generally like revisionist history, but this "Gorski was great" stuff galls me because I personally know it's crap. I was there.

Kevin Helfer says Brown is lying about him making $120,000 a year. I find that disturbing. It's typical machine dirty tactics.

Brown people: answer please.

Originally posted by Jim Ostrowski
    Kevin Helfer says Brown is lying about him making $120,000 a year. I find that disturbing. It's typical machine dirty tactics.

Brown people: answer please.
    Brown is counting on the "typical machine dirty tactics" to serve him well in tuesday's election. I would venture to say that in addition to this, Byron Brown is counting on the following:

-A low voter turnout. Most of Buffalo's election's going back a few decades have experienced a low turnout. Less votes in the ballot box usually help the front runner who is usually a Democrat

-Extreme public sector union influence. I know this happens in most cities with a large democratic base and Buffalo is certainly the poster child in this regard. The lack of private sector job options in this area certainly does nothing to counter the influence of the BTF, Police and Firefighter's union's etc, etc. These unions could care less about what's best for the city or the residents. They care about one or two issues that affect them and that's it. So if your a candidate for office, the ticket to election is found in bed with these unions.

-Ambivelence. Most residents of voting age don't bother to investigate the candidates or where they stand on important issues. Consequently we usually end up with the familiar name candidate getting re elected, despite his or her's incompetence. Byron Brown is counting on this.

-The Buffalo Blockhead Attitude- That'a term I use for the general attitude of this city's residents. That stupid "I'm just a little guy and you can't fight city hall, so I'm not going to bother to get involved and vote" attitude that is worse than the stench of rotten eggs at the NOCO refinery on a hot summer night. Like mindless sheep they resign themselves to accept second and third rate political candidates and then spend the next four years complaining about them. This is almost, no not almost, it is the mindset of the residents in this area. If you consider Buffalo a second or third rate city where good ideas go to die and things never change, this is where it starts.

Byron Brown is counting on the ambivelent attitude of the Buffalo Blockhead to get him into office. It's not his stance on issues or his "bold" vision for Buffalo that carries him to victory. No sorry. All Brown has to do is say little or nothing at all and stay away from any big scandal and his election is all but assured. The machine will see to that.

It's just downright pathetic.
    Thank you New York, may I please have another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really think Byron Brown is going to finish the democrats job of burying Buffalo once and for all.
    Thank you New York, may I please have another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How old are you?
    Spahn was the greatest left hander to ever pitch.
    Next to Sandy Koufax, that is.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Spahn had 17 CONSECUTIVE seasons of 30 or more starts (pitching over 200 innings each year). Koufax had 30 or more starts in only 4 starts his ENTIRE career (with 200 plus innings in 5 seasons). Spahn had 13 years of 20 or wins (spanning parts of three decades: 2 in the '40's, 8 in the '50's and 3 in the '60's). Koufax had 20 or more wins in only 3 years. So who's the greater pitcher?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information