Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Regular Part Time Employees - Collins Loses

Regular Part Time Employees - Collins Loses

Remember when Chris Collins first took office, and issued a policy to only hire employees as Regular Part Time rather than full time? The idea was to hire employees at 39 hours per week rather than 40 hours per week so the County would only have to provide those employees with half of the benefits that a full time employee receives.

Last week the New York State Public Employment Relations Board ruled that Chris Collins's policy violated the NYS Taylor Law, and further ordered that all of the employees that were hired as regular part time be convereted to full time with all associated back wages and benefits.

CSEA was the union that prosecuted this case, and it appears that the unions just dealt Mr. Collins his first major defeat.

Link?

Quote Originally Posted by Enough View Post
    Link?
    I just checked the PERB site and they haven't updated since the 16th, but I would imagine the local news outlets will catch up soon. I received a copy of the decision from a friend of mine who works at the County.

Reading the decision through it states the following order:

1. The County must stop replacing full-time positions with regular part time positions at the same level of service.

2. The County must negotiate with CSEA regarding any substitution of regular part time positions for full time positions.

3. The County must make whole for loss of wages and benefits, if any, with interest at the maximum legal rate, any employees hired as regular part time pursuant to the regular part time policy.

Very big loss for Mr. Collins.
    Last edited by Rocksimm; March 30th, 2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: misspelled the word through

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksimm View Post
    CSEA was the union that prosecuted this case, and it appears that the unions just dealt Mr. Collins his first major defeat.
    If what you say is true, along with Collins, they've defeated US, the TAXPAYERS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    If what you say is true, along with Collins, they've defeated US, the TAXPAYERS!!!
    Just curious. How does the fact that it was found that the County Executive's policy violated NYS Labor Law (by a presiding and qualified judge) mean that the taxpayers were defeated. Are we not a nation of laws? And is it not important that those laws that were passed by the peoples' representatives be upheld?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Reading the decision through it states the following order:

1. The County must stop replacing full-time positions with regular part time positions at the same level of service.

Why is people are filling the positions? Why would anyone stop those people from working if they want to?

2. The County must negotiate with CSEA regarding any substitution of regular part time positions for full time positions.

Well that really has to stop. You see the budget gap we have and current what the property/school taxes are.

3. The County must make whole for loss of wages and benefits, if any, with interest at the maximum legal rate, any employees hired as regular part time pursuant to the regular part time policy.

Why?

Very big loss for Mr. Collins.
    I just don't get why? There are people working those positions. Who the hell is CSEA what we have to do? I simply don't want to pay more when frankly we don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    surf, you mean by the County, being told they did something "illegal" and they need to correct it, means that they have defeated us? Be serious! So the government can do anything illegal and that's Ok? It appears that they are upholding the law, which is what should and must be done. We don't get to pick and choose what laws should be enforced.

I know you don't want to hear this, but Collins is not ABOVE the Law! There is a right way and there is a wrong way to make changes. Dispite the advice he was given, he chose to do it his way.

What upsets me is the amount of taxpayer's money wasted for him to fight the union knowing he was wrong. I say it's BS. Collins knew it was wrong, YET he still went ahead with it.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    surf, you mean by the County, being told they did something "illegal" and they need to correct it, means that they have defeated us? Be serious! So the government can do anything illegal and that's Ok? It appears that they are upholding the law, which is what should and must be done. We don't get to pick and choose what laws should be enforced.

I know you don't want to hear this, but Collins is not ABOVE the Law! There is a right way and there is a wrong way to make changes. Dispite the advice he was given, he chose to do it his way.

What upsets me is the amount of taxpayer's money wasted for him to fight the union knowing he was wrong. I say it's BS. Collins knew it was wrong, YET he still went ahead with it.
    Can he legally lay them off, or does he need approval from the anti-Collins legislature?

gotta explain this one to me?

CE: "Hi, would you like a job in the county? It pays a decent hourly rate and offers a 50% paid medical package."

EMP: "Sure, it is better than the no-job I have now. I'll take it."

CE: "Great, you start Monday."

EMP: "See you then." "Hmmmm, maybe if I work real hard, I will be promoted to one of those full time positions I hear they have there."

CSEA: "No, sorry, you have to increase the wages and double the benefit package for these employees we represent."

PERB: "Yea!"

CE: "Sorry, Emp, the County can't afford to keep you with the salary and benefit packages as they stand. We are going to have to let you go."

EMP: "Thanks for lookin out for me, CSEA!"

The End?

Unregistered
    Last week the New York State Public Employment Relations Board ruled that Chris Collins's policy violated the NYS Taylor Law, and further ordered that all of the employees that were hired as regular part time be convereted to full time with all associated back wages and benefits.

retro pay and benefits is good for the employees.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by LAsurvivor View Post
    CE: "Hi, would you like a job in the county? It pays a decent hourly rate and offers a 50% paid medical package."

EMP: "See you then." "Hmmmm, maybe if I work real hard, I will be promoted to one of those full time positions I hear they have there."

CSEA: "No, sorry, you have to increase the wages and double the benefit package for these employees we represent."

CE: "Sorry, Emp, the County can't afford to keep you with the salary and benefit packages as they stand. We are going to have to let you go."

The End?
    I always love a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I just don't get why? There are people working those positions. Who the hell is CSEA what we have to do? I simply don't want to pay more when frankly we don't have to.
    CSEA is not the entity that is "telling the County what to do", rather it is a judge who works for NYS PERB who is ruling that the County violated the law. CSEA is simply the union who filed the legal charges that the Judge ruled on.

The County had every opportunity and right to defend itself and show that its actions did not violate the law.

Sorry that you don't like the ruling, but trying to categorize it as the union dictating what the government can do is simply innacurate. It is the union enforcing the law of the land.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    CSEA is not the entity that is "telling the County what to do", rather it is a judge who works for NYS PERB who is ruling that the County violated the law. CSEA is simply the union who filed the legal charges that the Judge ruled on.

The County had every opportunity and right to defend itself and show that its actions did not violate the law.

Sorry that you don't like the ruling, but trying to categorize it as the union dictating what the government can do is simply innacurate. It is the union enforcing the law of the land.

I just don't get why? There are people working those positions. Who the hell is this judge that thinks we have to pay more when there are willing people to work for what is offered? I simply don't want to pay more when frankly we don't have to.

Drop the law.. simple.. If you can write a law in you can write it out.

Quote Originally Posted by LAsurvivor View Post

The End?
    Well... if he does layoff those employees, sounds like another court case for retaliation. Wow... how lucky can we be. More taxpayer money down the tubes for trying to defend his position, PLUS additional back pay and benefits.. all retroactive to boot.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information