Thread: Welfare pays better than work

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Welfare pays better than work

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Yes, because the minimum wage is insufficient to live on. The answer is not to decrease welfare but instead to increase the minimum wage. Of course, FOX news would never have thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Yes, because the minimum wage is insufficient to live on. The answer is not to decrease welfare but instead to increase the minimum wage. Of course, FOX news would never have thought of that.
    EVEN if it was ...work ethic is near zero!! ENTITLEMENT RECIPIENTS can sit on their ass, sleep until noon, free meals for their spawn at school, free backpacks, HEAP, SECT 8 , FOOD STAMPS...WHY BOTHER...yes cutting back on these handouts would instill some motivation to find a job and contribute to society..other than contributing to the population!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    We would have to lower the tax burden. Salary cuts across the entire board of all government employees. I'm pretty sure there are countless 5 figure club employees with benes that far exceed the average in the private sector.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    EVEN if it was ...work ethic is near zero!! ENTITLEMENT RECIPIENTS can sit on their ass, sleep until noon, free meals for their spawn at school, free backpacks, HEAP, SECT 8 , FOOD STAMPS...WHY BOTHER...yes cutting back on these handouts would instill some motivation to find a job and contribute to society..other than contributing to the population!
    Nogods,

Joe d makes a very valid point. And we are not referring to the elderly that really need help or the disabled. Just people on the system.

OH but come on now the fraud only accounts for 3%.....

We would have to lower the tax burden. Salary cuts across the entire board of all government employees. I'm pretty sure there are countless 5 figure club employees with benes that far exceed the average in the private sector.
    Wages in the private sector have been relatively stagnant since the 80's, and have not kept up with cost of living. Even Wal-Mart, who pays such lousy wages (and has to instruct their employees on how to get government benefits to survive) is now realizing that their business practices are failing.

Paying better wages will not only increase tax revenue, but will stimulate the economy naturally and decrease dependence on all those social welfare programs that everyone hates.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You are clearly missing the point...

I don't mind if minimum wage was increased somewhat... That doesn't mean we shouldn't overly pay the "Government" sector.

And I meant 6 figure not 5 figure...

You are clearly missing the point...

I don't mind if minimum wage was increased somewhat... That doesn't mean we shouldn't overly pay the "Government" sector.

And I meant 6 figure not 5 figure...
    The government isn't overpaying. The private sector is drastically underpaying, and it is costing the government more money in assistance programs and lost tax revenue. If more companies payed a real living wage, the use of programs like food stamps, medicaid, welfare, etc would be greatly diminished, saving the taxpayers money.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindcrime View Post
    Wages in the private sector have been relatively stagnant since the 80's, and have not kept up with cost of living. Even Wal-Mart, who pays such lousy wages (and has to instruct their employees on how to get government benefits to survive) is now realizing that their business practices are failing.

Paying better wages will not only increase tax revenue, but will stimulate the economy naturally and decrease dependence on all those social welfare programs that everyone hates.
    Yes we should raise the minimum wage to $12.00 an hour, raise welfare and provide free health care for all those on welfare and getting minimum wage.

Then we can just tax the idiots that want to work for a living about 75% of their wages to pay for it all! Oh wait, now that the minimum is 12.00 an hour this will mean that they are only bringing home 3.00 after taxes. Hmmmm, why would they bother to work when they can retire on welfare and lay in bed all day? Oh and because the employers have to pay a minimum of 12.00 they will have to raise their prices and lay people off. Hmmmm, actually, why would they bother to run a business when they can lay around all day and get welfare? Well this will mean that less people will have jobs and there will be less places to buy less things.

Wait, I know, lets make the minimum wage 24.00 and then this will mean that they are only bringing home 6.00 after taxes. Hmmmm, why would they bother to work when they can retire on welfare and lay in bed all day? Oh and because the employers have to pay a minimum of 24.00 they will have to raise their prices and lay people off. Hmmmm, actually, why would they bother to run a business when they can lay around all day and get welfare?

I know, lets make the minimum wage 48.00 and then....

The best way to grow the economy and allow people to be most productive is to allow the market to drive wages and prices and competition will set the wage and the price. There would be more businesses producing more goods and there would be plenty of jobs and lower prices. Put a limit on the amount of welfare a person can collect. This is how America became the greatest country on the planet. It is because of government handouts and government interference in pricing, production and wages that our country is in the horrible shape that is America today. Prosperity cannot be forced but rather happens as a result of hard work and ingenuity!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Yes we should raise the minimum wage to $12.00 an hour
    Why stop there? Make it $12,000 per hour, or $12 million.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    Your logic fails upon itself. Motivated people are motivated to get off welfare. When I had my firm in downtown Buffalo i hired a single mom off welfare as a secretary. she eventually went on to get a paralegal degree and when i moved my firm to the suburbs she found a good job with a large law firm.

The unmotivated won't go to work if they don't get welfare, they'll just turn to crime. The answer is to educate the next generation so that it has more to gain from work than from welfare, and to pay a fair minimum wage.

We need to think of solutions instead of just hollerin' and spittin' all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    Yes we should raise the minimum wage to $12.00 an hour, raise welfare and provide free health care for all those on welfare and getting minimum wage.

Then we can just tax the idiots that want to work for a living about 75% of their wages to pay for it all! Oh wait, now that the minimum is 12.00 an hour this will mean that they are only bringing home 3.00 after taxes. Hmmmm, why would they bother to work when they can retire on welfare and lay in bed all day? Oh and because the employers have to pay a minimum of 12.00 they will have to raise their prices and lay people off. Hmmmm, actually, why would they bother to run a business when they can lay around all day and get welfare? Well this will mean that less people will have jobs and there will be less places to buy less things.

Wait, I know, lets make the minimum wage 24.00 and then this will mean that they are only bringing home 6.00 after taxes. Hmmmm, why would they bother to work when they can retire on welfare and lay in bed all day? Oh and because the employers have to pay a minimum of 24.00 they will have to raise their prices and lay people off. Hmmmm, actually, why would they bother to run a business when they can lay around all day and get welfare?

I know, lets make the minimum wage 48.00 and then....

The best way to grow the economy and allow people to be most productive is to allow the market to drive wages and prices and competition will set the wage and the price. There would be more businesses producing more goods and there would be plenty of jobs and lower prices. Put a limit on the amount of welfare a person can collect. This is how America became the greatest country on the planet. It is because of government handouts and government interference in pricing, production and wages that our country is in the horrible shape that is America today. Prosperity cannot be forced but rather happens as a result of hard work and ingenuity!
    I know, let;s make minimum wage at least close to the poverty line and not far below it and lower benefits for people who are not elderly, disabled, etc., so that the rest can see the benefits of working. Higher income, self-dependency, boosted self-esteem. Which COULD happen, if there were actual jobs that you could strive to excel and advance in. Shift manager at McDonald's isn't a real lofty goal.

However, I do know the manager of the local RentACenter, who makes 44,000 a year. Pretty nice wage for a not-so-difficult job. Even starting out, it's a 27,000.00 a year job. She moved up to where she is now in less than 6 years. So SOME jobs that seem menial do have potential
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes View Post
    Why stop there? Make it $12,000 per hour, or $12 million.
    This is exactly my point. Arbitrary government mandated wages do not work well for anyone. Not even the benefactor of the wage hike. $5 per hour and $1 loaf of bread or $10 per hour and $2 loaf of bread and quite possibly unemployed!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Thread Information