Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want government assistance? Just say no to drugs.

Want government assistance? Just say no to drugs.

I notice New York State is not on the list.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,510707,00.html

Lawmakers in at least eight states want recipients of food stamps, unemployment benefits or welfare to submit to random drug testing.

This should be a requirement for politicians too.

What do you think?
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

I think there is something in the Bill of Rights that has something about this

4th Amendment to the US Constitution
    "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

As for the concept of welfare having the government try to "help" people I believe it is very inefficient and if people truly wanted to help the poor then they would push for charities to take care of the poor. A majority of the money that is allocated for welfare goes to the bureaucrats that administer the program (I have seen people say 70% and up) and not to the people that it is "supposed to help".
    If you walk around in a forest with your eyes closed you will eventually walk in to a tree.

2 + 2 = 5

Jesus died for your sins I do it for your mere entertainment dollar (Doug Stanhope)

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I got no problem with drug testing if someone is taking care of you with their own hard earned money.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim.fsp View Post

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

As for the concept of welfare having the government try to "help" people I believe it is very inefficient and if people truly wanted to help the poor then they would push for charities to take care of the poor. A majority of the money that is allocated for welfare goes to the bureaucrats that administer the program (I have seen people say 70% and up) and not to the people that it is "supposed to help".
    Unreasonable search and seizure? Probable cause? No one is forced to collect welfare or any benefits from the State. The State should be allowed to set any reasonable conditions on the eligibility to collect.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    unreasonable search and seizure? Probable cause? No one is forced to collect welfare or any benefits from the state. The state should be allowed to set any reasonable conditions on the eligibility to collect.

amen!!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Unregistered
    I'm all for drug testing of people who are receiving any form of public assistance.

It pisses me off when I see people on public assistance spending our tax dollars on drugs, alcohol, tobacco, lottery tickets, food items the average middle class person can't afford, etc.

Drug testing would be one small step in the right direction towards welfare reform.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    I'm all for drug testing of people who are receiving any form of public assistance.

It pisses me off when I see people on public assistance spending our tax dollars on drugs, alcohol, tobacco, lottery tickets, food items the average middle class person can't afford, etc.

Drug testing would be one small step in the right direction towards welfare reform.
    AMEN! I remember when I was a kid and DSS used to just show up at our house to make sure we were on the up and up. I do not believe it is unreasonable at all to require anyone who is on public assistance of any sort to be required to submit to drug or alcohol testing. This State needs welfare reform and we need it yesterday!
    Hazel
    Why is it called a prayer when people talk to God, but schizophrenia when God talks back to people?

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    Unreasonable search and seizure? Probable cause? No one is forced to collect welfare or any benefits from the State. The State should be allowed to set any reasonable conditions on the eligibility to collect.
    Maybe I should have been a little more blunt with the post I made, I did vilify state welfare. That is the root of the problem! Stealing money from individuals at the point of a gun and calling it taxation and then redistributing it to others and calling it welfare, stimulus, or whatever feel good name is a immoral and disgusting act.

Your comment that because they take the money they forfeit their rights reminds me of a phrase that I learned as a child "Two wrongs don't make a right".

If a charity that is 100% funded by voluntary donations wants to help people with monetary assistance and they want to test the recipient for whatever that is fine to me. But stealing more of my justly acquired money to pay for drug testing of welfare recipients is just as immoral and disgusting as stealing my money to give to another person.
    If you walk around in a forest with your eyes closed you will eventually walk in to a tree.

2 + 2 = 5

Jesus died for your sins I do it for your mere entertainment dollar (Doug Stanhope)

Unregistered
    If a charity that is 100% funded by voluntary donations wants to help people with monetary assistance and they want to test the recipient for whatever that is fine to me. But stealing more of my justly acquired money to pay for drug testing of welfare recipients is just as immoral and disgusting as stealing my money to give to another person.
    I believe that the costs associated with drug testing would be, more than, offset by eliminating the users from the welfare rolls.

Maybe I should have been a little more blunt with the post I made, I did vilify state welfare. That is the root of the problem! Stealing money from individuals at the point of a gun and calling it taxation and then redistributing it to others and calling it welfare, stimulus, or whatever feel good name is a immoral and disgusting act.

Your comment that because they take the money they forfeit their rights reminds me of a phrase that I learned as a child "Two wrongs don't make a right".

I can see what you are saying here. I agree. There was a day when people relied on family, and their Church to help them in times of need. This is the way it should be today. It is the way my family and my Church do things whenever we can. I can't stand anyone, including the government stealing my money. So, to the government, stay out of my pocket and get out of the business of gifting certain chosen ones.

Private Sectors do drug testing prior to hire and during employment. I wonder how they get around the 4th Amendment?

I would love to know how many drug abusers are also welfare recipients. My idea of having welfare recipients in a segregated area where case workers are right on site would really cut down on this type of abuse with welfare dollars.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Anotherview View Post
    I would love to know how many drug abusers are also welfare recipients. My idea of having welfare recipients in a segregated area where case workers are right on site would really cut down on this type of abuse with welfare dollars.
    I would volunteer (FREE of charge) to investigate welfare fraud, but people like Tree_Hugger would never allow this to happen.

God forbid concerned citizens get involved and save the taxpayers money at the same time.

I would volunteer (FREE of charge) to investigate welfare fraud, but people like Tree_Hugger would never allow this to happen.

God forbid concerned citizens get involved and save the taxpayers money at the same time.

I'd be right behind you as a volunteer - as long as they give me a bullet proof vest on my calls

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Anotherview View Post
    I'd be right behind you as a volunteer - as long as they give me a bullet proof vest on my calls
    And a car and driver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information