Thread: Tom Best resigned his Council seat effective Today

Unregistered

Tom Best resigned his Council seat effective Today

Hamburg Councilman Tom Best resigned his elected position effective today, Sunday 8th of March 2009.

It is expected that Tom will be appointed as Highway Superintendent tomorrow evening at the Town Council meeting. This move is considered strategic by by the Democratic Party. I still don’t understand why the Republican Party would ever consider such a move this early in a huge election year.

By endorsing Tom for Highway Superintendent the Democratic party ensures that Tom Best’s influence will be nullified in the upcoming Town Supervisors race. Tom will effectively be unwilling to publicly support anyone for that seat since both parties will have supported him for Superintendent.

That means the Republicans will have to make some really nifty moves to gain control of the Town Council before the election this year. Otherwise nothing will get done politically until January.

It’s my opinion that the RP should have kept Tom in his Council seat until the election in November. It is now expected that Best will have a cross endorsement from both the Republicans and Democrats for Highway Superintendent in November. Taking Tom out of the political picture is a huge victory for the Democrats.

One thing is for sure, no more free passes for those who work in the Highway Department. Tom is pledging to make everyone work a full day for a full days pay.

One final note: It is NYS law that a person must resign an elected position 24 hours prior to being appointed to another position. Tom also has 48 hours to rescind his resignation as per NYS Law. So if there is any double cross on the Superintendent appointment then Tom can be right back on the Town Council by Tuesday.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    One thing is for sure, no more free passes for those who work in the Highway Department. Tom is pledging to make everyone work a full day for a full days pay.
    Will he start installing time clocks?

What experience does he have supervising?

What about his current place of employment? Isn't this a full time position?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Will he start installing time clocks?

What experience does he have supervising?

What about his current place of employment? Isn't this a full time position?
    Tom Best is a retired Hamburg Police Officer, former Blasdell Chief of Police. He is also the director of Security at the McKinley Mall. Yes this is a fulll time position that pays about 72K per year.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by FJB View Post
    Tom Best is a retired Hamburg Police Officer, former Blasdell Chief of Police. He is also the director of Security at the McKinley Mall. Yes this is a fulll time position that pays about 72K per year.
    Does he have an incoming pension from government that will continue while collecting 72K plus health insurance also?

So he's been a life-long free cheeser!

Should fit right in then!

Unregistered
    Granted that there can be some political move here that I haven't heard about yet, but otherwise this is the worst political move the Hamburg RP has made in the last 3 years. This is what happens when a political genius like Mark Cuda isn't running the Hamburg RP as Chairman any more.

But then again their could be something in the works i don't know about yet that maks this a great move. unless that's the case, I just don't see the logic in doing this.

Unregistered
    Does he have an incoming pension from government that will continue while collecting 72K plus health insurance also?
    Don't know how gov. pensions work.

If you return to work for a public employer and earn more than the Section 212 limit (30,000), your pension will be suspended unless your prospective employer requests a Section 211 approval of employment for you. If approved, this will allow you to continue receiving your retirement benefit without reduction unless you return to a former employer

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/me...retirement.htm
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRetired View Post
    If you return to work for a public employer and earn more than the Section 212 limit (30,000), your pension will be suspended unless your prospective employer requests a Section 211 approval of employment for you. If approved, this will allow you to continue receiving your retirement benefit without reduction unless you return to a former employer

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/me...retirement.htm
    But seeing he was chief of police he has some supervisory experience which is a good thing. I'm just wondering what the revenue draw is for the community from one employee.

I think when your appointed you get to keep your full retirement.When you get elected you give up part of it.But I agree with Ford Town should wait untill election time.Let the people who are there now run the highway till then.

Unregistered
    Tom is absolutely the guy for the job. The town is losing out on a great Councilman who has the balls to stand up for what is right. With Tom off the Town Council we will definately be risking losing the reform agenda that Walters has started in Hamburg.

I sure hope they have a plan to replace him immediately with a conservative minded candidate.

But seeing he was chief of police he has some supervisory experience which is a good thing. I'm just wondering what the revenue draw is for the community from one employee.

Res: Tom Best is worth every dime he earns. He is a good man and has served his community very well. Hamburg is lucky to have him.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Tom is absolutely the guy for the job. The town is losing out on a great Councilman who has the balls to stand up for what is right. With Tom off the Town Council we will definately be risking losing the reform agenda that Walters has started in Hamburg.

I sure hope they have a plan to replace him immediately with a conservative minded candidate.

So why would tom not finish out his commitment to the Town Board. I do find that rather lame. You were elected to accomplish something and then jump ship. That's like when you have people always running for a higher office before they finish the office they got elected to in the first place.

?

Was any of this Best political maneuvering in the paper? If not, WHY NOT???

Thread Information