Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High Speed Rail - Question for Mike Miller

ON THE METRO FROM CT to DT BUFFALO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Miller View Post
    Yes, for years. We are on the Citizen's for Regional Transit's plan to connect the city to the airport via Metro Rail.
    See this is my concern. The plan is to connect but what are the odds of it happening.

Maybe I think a certain way because I do sales but I see 3 sales pitches for upstate cities.

Syracuse - We are small but we are first on the line in Upstate. The challenge with Syracuse is their station is even farther from the DT core than Buffalo.

Rochester - We are a medium size upstate city BUT our station is downtown with plenty of space to build. We are longer than Syracuse but shorter than Buffalo.

Buffalo - We are the largest city but our travel time is the longest and our station is not connected to our downtown core by any type of rail.

Comparing the 3, Rochester has the best overall package. Closest to DT and middle distance in terms of travel time.

Well Left, I'm not sure what this means post-press conference, but the references of "Albany to Buffalo" have been changed to "Albany to Niagara Falls".
    “Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

Left, I can tell you that Louise has been out to the terminal and to the east side many times. She has been a big fan of the Broadway Market and the terminal. Keep in mind too that she's 80 years old, and while still very vital and active, this could be a great legacy project for her. She's certainly taking the lead in most of the press I have seen.

I can see the point on legacy. But her legacy would still happen if HS Rail came to Rochester. No?

I could be wrong but I just have challenges with one person, Slaughter, being the main advocate for both Rochester AND Buffalo. Especially since she does not have any ties to the downtown core of Buffalo.

Maybe Higgins could head up the project of getting light rail from the Central Terminal to Downtown and to the airport? Now if THAT was the case, Buffalo would have the BEST of both worlds.

Where is Higgins on this?

Focusing on NYC to Buffalo is shortsighted. People need to see the bigger picture. Ontario would never build a high-speed rail link just to get to Buffalo. But if Buffalo was connected to NYC and beyond, then Ontario would probably become serious about hooking up to it. Having a fast link between Buffalo and Toronto would have huge benefits... just like others are saying about upstate cities closer to NYC. Buffalo would be a travel hub town connecting NYC and TO, and bring in more tourism dollars from ontario. (Customs would need to be smoothed out first)

I am concerned about pricing though.
    If tickets are too expensive, nobody will use it.
    Of course that depends on whether gas prices skyrocket again like last summer.

Well Left, I'm not sure what this means post-press conference, but the references of "Albany to Buffalo" have been changed to "Albany to Niagara Falls".

Buffalo Metro is not in her district. Niagara Falls is in her district. Curious to say the least.

Do you think you could put in a call to someone to see what this means?

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    All of your points make sense if one thing happens. That being a NFTA metro link from the Central Terminal to 75 Exchange Street, in towntown Buffalo.
    connecting the CT to downtown would be an absolut Must if this project happens.

I can see the point on legacy. But her legacy would still happen if HS Rail came to Rochester. No?

I could be wrong but I just have challenges with one person, Slaughter, being the main advocate for both Rochester AND Buffalo. Especially since she does not have any ties to the downtown core of Buffalo.

Maybe Higgins could head up the project of getting light rail from the Central Terminal to Downtown and to the airport? Now if THAT was the case, Buffalo would have the BEST of both worlds.

Where is Higgins on this?
    Buffalo is still the number 2 city in the state and it's also closest to the crossing into Canada (as is Niagara Falls). It can't be excluded.

Plus, NF is already planning a new train station. Buffalo might be a little more difficult than NF to hook up the HSR station logistically, but if it comes to NF, it HAS to come to Buffalo.
    “Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    Focusing on NYC to Buffalo is shortsighted. People need to see the bigger picture. Ontario would never build a high-speed rail link just to get to Buffalo. But if Buffalo was connected to NYC and beyond, then Ontario would probably become serious about hooking up to it. Having a fast link between Buffalo and Toronto would have huge benefits... just like others are saying about upstate cities closer to NYC. Buffalo would be a travel hub town connecting NYC and TO, and bring in more tourism dollars from ontario. (Customs would need to be smoothed out first)

I am concerned about pricing though.
    If tickets are too expensive, nobody will use it.
    Of course that depends on whether gas prices skyrocket again like last summer.

Buffalo to NYC is just the first step. I agree that Buffalo to Toronto would have a greater impact in the end.

In a dream world, Buffalo would have spokes to NYC via the Empire, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Toronto. Also rumblings that Ontario would want to connect to Windsor/Detroit as well.

This could put Buffalo as the center of a wheel that includes 5 major metro areas.

http://www.wben.com/Gov--Unveils--10...Speed-/3984556

"The plan calls for doubling the number of intercity rail passengers along New York’s three major corridors: New York City to Albany, Albany to Niagara Falls and Albany to Montreal. It also presses for "improved rail service between Albany and Niagara Falls, with connections in Utica, Syracuse and Rochester".

The state's share of the federal stimulus package includes a slice of the $8 billion that is designated for railroad projects across the nation, and Paterson says part of that federal stimulus money will help develop a third set of high speed tracks between Niagara Falls and Albany."

Ummm... they better include Buffalo!

Ummm... they better include Buffalo!
    I'm trying to find out why the change in destination, but my guess is that it's because NF already has the plans and funding in place for a new train station that could be built sooner (and cheaper) than rehabbing the terminal. But that doesn't exclude Buffalo or the possibility of HSR at the terminal.

It may not be as turn key as may be necessary at this point. Americans are going to be taking a long look at the "benefits" of Obama's stimulus (as it relates to infrastructure development) and rehabbing the terminal just may be too tough a sell unless the track record has already been proven with the station in NF.

I'm trying to find out why the change in destination, but my guess is that it's because NF already has the plans and funding in place for a new train station that could be built sooner (and cheaper) than rehabbing the terminal. But that doesn't exclude Buffalo or the possibility of HSR at the terminal.

It may not be as turn key as may be necessary at this point. Americans are going to be taking a long look at the "benefits" of Obama's stimulus (as it relates to infrastructure development) and rehabbing the terminal just may be too tough a sell unless the track record has already been proven with the station in NF.

So what you are saying is it looks like Buffalo is going to get the shaft. At least in the beginning. Ouch.

I ask it again. Where is Higgins on this?

So what you are saying is it looks like Buffalo is going to get the shaft. At least in the beginning. Ouch.

I ask it again. Where is Higgins on this?
    That was just speculation on my part. I don't know anything more about this than anyone else.

Sorry, I missed that question. Higgins has been harder to pin down as far as supporting HSR at the terminal. I would consider him down the list as far as local politicos who would come out in favor of rehabbing the terminal for HSR. That idea is still a leap of faith for some.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    Buffalo would be a travel hub town connecting NYC and TO, and bring in more tourism dollars from ontario. (Customs would need to be smoothed out first)

Now what would keep ALBANY from being the HUB? Albany is the center point between the 4 largest cities in whole north east, Toronto (5 hour drive), Boston(3 hours drive), NYC(2 hour drive) and Montreal/Quebec(3 hour drive)! Wouldn't it make more sence for Albany not buffalo to be the hub? I can see it being a hub if your talking about Clev, Indy, Cinci and Toronto!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Now what would keep ALBANY from being the HUB? Albany is the center point between the 4 largest cities in whole north east, Toronto (5 hour drive), Boston(3 hours drive), NYC(2 hour drive) and Montreal/Quebec(3 hour drive)! Wouldn't it make more sence for Albany not buffalo to be the hub? I can see it being a hub if your talking about Clev, Indy, Cinci and Toronto!
    Buffalo and the terminal was once the hub for passenger rail between NYC and Chicago. It's about equidistant to both from Buffalo.

Buffalo and the terminal was once the hub for passenger rail between NYC and Chicago. It's about equidistant to both from Buffalo.

That I understand, but it seems like this won't be a real boom until the WHOLE east coast/midwest is completed in what 15 years?

Additionally, wouldn't it be cheaper and more efficent to just fly to chicago? I'm mean it's gotta be about 600 miles which would be a 6 hours train ride (with no stops) or a 2 hours flight.

HSR works in Europe because the Cities are so close to each other. Most cities in Europe have at least one other major city with 100 to 200 miles additionally they have a much more ubran population where not every has a car. Plus many that do have cars that aren' designed for highway use.

To be honest i see HSR to the US as Soccer/football is to the US.
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information