Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: High Speed Rail - Question for Mike Miller

But what it comes down to, is what true advantage would a govt funded system running from Albany to Buffalo provide vs somthing like Clev to buf to toronto?
    Consider the audience the proponents are playing to: politicians from Albany and DC. Approval of this first leg of HSR stands a much greater chance with people that would directly benefit from it.

I believe that the intention IS to extend to Cleveland, Toronto, NYC and Chicago. Just like in the old days of the Central Terminal. Everything old is new again.
    “Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Miller View Post
    Consider the audience the proponents are playing to: politicians from Albany and DC. Approval of this first leg of HSR stands a much greater chance with people that would directly benefit from it.

I believe that the intention IS to extend to Cleveland, Toronto, NYC and Chicago. Just like in the old days of the Central Terminal. Everything old is new again.
    Not being from the area, where is the CT?
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

It's on the east side, between Broadway and William, about 2 and 1/2 miles from the downtown hub.
    “Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

It's on the east side, between Broadway and William, about 2 and 1/2 miles from the downtown hub.
    so in a nice part of town huh?

so in a nice part of town huh?
    It was once, still is in parts and overall, the area has great infrastructure and investment opportunities that people from NYC are already capitalizing on.

As the terminal goes, so goes the neighborhood.

Breaking News

Just up on WBEN's website:

High speed Buffalo-Albany Rail Link Expected

Gov. David Paterson will make an announcement this morning about statewide rail service.

The state's share of the federal stimulus package includes a slice of the $8 billion that is designated for railroad projects across the nation, and Paterson is expected to announce the use of federal stimulus money to begin work on a high speed rail connection between Buffalo and Albany.

New York lawmakers in Albany and Washington have been pushing for federal funding for a high-speed rail line that would link Buffalo and New York City.

Supporters of the proposal say improved passenger train service would boost the upstate economy. Cong. Louise Slaughter (D-Fairport) tells WBEN that a dedicated high-speed set of tracks for for Amtrak it is the top priority for her newly formed "Upstate NY Caucus" in Congress

"Our first project is high speed rail, because you know, you can't fly from the state capitol to Buffalo," Slaughter tells WBEN's Barbara Burns

"We have toget some engineering studies on the cost....," Slaughter adds. " We dont have a cost on it yet, but what we want to do first is get the track ready. When we do that there would be other benefits, but obviously we need to have dedicated track for Amtrak."

Congress in October announced that it was ready to move forward with fast trains and set aside $1.5 billion for high-speed rail. States and private developers were invited to bid for the funding,

The high-speed initiative would build separate railroad tracks dedicated for passenger trains, fenced off from animal or intrusion, and running roughly along the same right-of-way as existing freight. A national high speed rail plan calls for individual streteches of track in each state, to connect most of the nation’s major cities,

High-speed trains aren’t necessarily the same thing as so-called 200 mph "bullet trains" operating in parts of Europe and Asia. Trains that can travel 110 mph are generally considered high-speed rail. By comparison, the typical top speed for freight trains in much of the U.S. is 79 mph.

Ultimately, Slaughter envisions a loop that would also run toward Montreal and embrace Toronto, before completing the circuit back to Buffalo.

"Our first project is high speed rail, because you know, you can't fly from the state capitol to Buffalo," Slaughter tells WBEN's Barbara Burns
    She's obviously hasn't tried jet blue!

What about crossings? or stops along the way?

I don't imagine there will be too many, if any, as it would really defeat the purpose.

I don't imagine there will be too many, if any, as it would really defeat the purpose.

IN college i took the train a bunch of times from here to home (schenectad) and that was my huge beef! It would take over 5 hours when i could drive it in under 4 and was about $115 round trip. 1 e had to stop at EVERY CITY i think their were 6 or 7 along the way and we had to slow down for periodic stops and track switches.

Any idea what they'd have for parking at the CT?

3. The Central Terminal is a perfect intermodal transportation facility because it was designed as such. In a final configuration, it would be the ideal park and ride, and could house an Amtrak station, NFTA metro rail station, bus stop and taxis.

All of your points make sense if one thing happens. That being a NFTA metro link from the Central Terminal to 75 Exchange Street, in towntown Buffalo.

Has their been a conversation about extending the Metro from the CT to downtown if HS rail were to come? Is their a job cost estimate for such a project?

It is only 2.6 miles but it makes a huge difference IMO. Remember, that most people using the line would not have access to a car. At least one would hope that would be the case.

See the question you have to ask is how does HS Rail from NYC to Buffalo compare to say Rochester. If you are a business owner, looking to invest in operations, which city would you pick? Rochester is a shorter time on the train AND it is closer to the downtown center. IMO, much more likely for a private investor to develop in Rochester than Buffalo.

Added to this, the goal is not just to connect to NYC. Correct? The long term goal is to connect to Ohio and their "Hub Plan" and to Toronto. Does this mean that eventually, traffic from the North and West would bypass the city, or in the case of Toronto, go through the city to the CT. Only to then have the passengers track back?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    But what is the purpose?

Just so people can live in buffalo and commute to Albany and the reverse?

What is the highest percentage of population in Erie county that would actually use it? 1% 2% ? 900,000 people in Erie County. If 2% would utilize it that would only be 18,000 people. Why would 18,000 people in Buffalo need to go to albany to justify all the cash to build a train including all the MAINTENANCE cost that the state would be saddled with once it's built.

Any idea what they'd have for parking at the CT?
    200 spots on the plaza, 200 in the underground ramp, plus a couple of acres of greenspace that was once parking.

Has their been a conversation about extending the Metro from the CT to downtown if HS rail were to come?
    Yes, for years. We are on the Citizen's for Regional Transit's plan to connect the city to the airport via Metro Rail.

Added to this, the goal is not just to connect to NYC. Correct? The long term goal is to connect to Ohio and their "Hub Plan" and to Toronto. Does this mean that eventually, traffic from the North and West would bypass the city, or in the case of Toronto, go through the city to the CT. Only to then have the passengers track back?
    I believe that the Ohio route would still end at the terminal, but don't quote me on that.

But what is the purpose?

Just so people can live in buffalo and commute to Albany and the reverse?
    It's the first leg of many that will be built with stimilus funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    She's obviously hasn't tried jet blue!

US Air has a single flight from Buffalo to Albany. Rochester on the other hand does not look like it has a non-stop flight.

One has to wonder just how much interest Slaughter has in Buffalo compared to Rochester. Which was in my main post. Although I was incorrect with her district (Thanks Raul) I still think of her as a Rochester politician who gets some votes in Erie and Niagara County.

US Air has a single flight from Buffalo to Albany. Rochester on the other hand does not look like it has a non-stop flight.

One has to wonder just how much interest Slaughter has in Buffalo compared to Rochester. Which was in my main post. Although I was incorrect with her district (Thanks Raul) I still think of her as a Rochester politician who gets some votes in Erie and Niagara County.
    Left, I can tell you that Louise has been out to the terminal and to the east side many times. She has been a big fan of the Broadway Market and the terminal. Keep in mind too that she's 80 years old, and while still very vital and active, this could be a great legacy project for her. She's certainly taking the lead in most of the press I have seen.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information