Thread: "Informational Budget Meeting" - OP School District

"Informational Budget Meeting" - OP School District

For your info, I just received the following e-mail today (3-5-09), forwarded to me by a good friend.

It originated today from a Ms. Lori Allan, Public Relations Director for the OP School District. The "Mrs. Thomas" in the e-mail refers to Mrs. Joan Thomas, the District Superintendent:

Good Morning-

Mrs. Thomas will be holding an informational budget expenditure reduction meeting on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 10 a.m. at the District Office. The public, especially parents of children served by the District, are invited to attend this important meeting where Mrs. Thomas will outline proposed budget reductions and the rationale behind them - specifically, in co-curriculars. Please feel free to share this email with anyone who may be interested in attending.

Thank you.

Lori

"A mind always employed is always happy."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Lori A. Allan
    Public Relations Director
    Orchard Park Central School District
    3330 Baker Road
    Orchard Park , NY 14127
    716.209.6353 (fax)
    www.opschools.org

"Budget expenditures." I believe that means "spending" to us unsophisticated taxpayers.

Perhaps a "damage control" meeting - perhaps not.

Also take note of the interesting time chosen for this important "informational" meeting.

I'll keep you posted.

Unregistered
    School budget increases are what keeps OP taxpayers healthy.

The increases are, typically, the cost of "a pizza per week." So, esentially, they're taxing you into better health.

Indeed....

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post

The increases are, typically, the cost of "a pizza per week."
    Ah, I see you have an excellent memory, my friend.

The multiple lines of people waiting to vote "no" that evening stretched outside the building - all evening. Nothing like that since.

If you recall, we were also told to "just suck it up."

That's exactly what they're saying to us (and every taxpayer in every school district) this year.

I wonder if anyone hears......

"Informational Meeting" Update....

For your info, a second "budget cut" informational meeting has been added.

As per an e-mail received from the OP High School PTO on Friday, March 13:

"Please be informed that a second meeting for concerned taxpayers and parents is planned for Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 at 7 pm at the district office (3330 Baker Road). Mrs. Thomas will be reviewing the 2009-2010 school district budget cuts, specifically co-curricular programs. This meeting was scheduled to allow those that may not be able to attend the 10 AM meeting an opportunity to hear this information. If you are interested in learning more about the programs that will no longer be available to our students, please plan to attend one of these sessions.

Please pass the word to other district parents and taxpayers regarding this second session."

Note that this notice actually addresses "concerned taxpayers."

Report on the "Informational Meeting"......

For what it's worth, and for what little it will do, here's a brief-as-I-can report on the OP School District's "Informational meeting" on the proposed 2009-2010 budget.

First of all, we were all treated to a handout entitled "Frequently Asked Questions" (probably questions they ask themselves, not actual questions from taxpayers). I've attached that document for your review (2 .pdf files).

Second, the information provided in this meeting (the morning meeting, anyway) was pretty much a re-hash of the 3-3-09 Budget meeting, which I commented on here: http://www.speakupwny.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49035

Bottom line - OP District taxpayers are still staring at a proposed $76.99M spending budget, with a $3.1M increase in spending (or +4.28%) over 2008-09, and a whopping 8.39% tax levy increase - this despite the District's heroic, "hard work" and "no stone unturned" $2.975M in proposed cuts.

Some other select meeting "lowlights":

- The Superintendent stated that she personally feels that the cuts "are too drastic" - this following her assurance that the 8.39% tax levy increase is "worst case."

- We were treated to a slide show showing historic state aid handed to the District, which compared '06-07 ($18M), '07-08 ($19.7M), '08-09 ($21.6M), and, the clincher, proposed '09-10 aid ($19.2M - a $2.4M decrease) - with emphasis on the $2.4M decrease as the culprit. Historically, the District is used to an annual increase of $1.5M or more in state aid, and blamed the Governor for this terrible predicament.

- The proposed decrease of $2.4M in state aid for OP is more severe than other districts because the "formula" used to calculate the decrease is "needs vs. capacity" - meaning, the higher the needs and lower the capacity (i.e., the poorer the community) the less reduction in state aid. So, OP has "low needs" and "higher capacity" (i.e., us taxpayers), and thus, "we have not taxed (the District taxpayers) to capacity."

- The Superintendent is hoping that the state aid cuts will be restored in the final state budget, but was not optimistic about more state aid this year or in subsequent budget years.

- Also of interest was the discussion of the "contingent" budget - you know, the one that goes into effect if the proposed budget(s) fail to be approved by voters.

The "contingent" budget is apparently based upon what was referred to as the "staff-neutral" budget (i.e., no cuts) of $79.6M, representing an 8.3% spending increase over 2008-09, and a "staff neutral" tax levy increase of 15.26%.

The "contingent" budget only reduces spending to $79.05M - which represents a 7.07% increase in spending over 2008-09, and would bring a tax levy increase of 13.15%. Most staff would of course be maintained. Some contingency, eh?

The Superintendent said "our draft budget is less than contingent - that's very bizarre - that doesn't happen very often - that's the kinda times were in."

- A question was asked whether the teacher's union will be asked to open up their contract to discuss concessions to assist in cutting costs - the answer was "we've had discussions, but have not gone further at this time", as these are "fixed, uncontrollable costs", and "NYSUT will not allow it", and "the union is sharing", and that "one of the largest concessions was (agreeing to) a single healthcare provider." Most memorable, however, is the Superintendent's quote, "the teachers are with us on this - we're united together."

- The Superintendent discussed yet again how "bad" that proposed state legislation to "cap" school property taxes at 4% was for OP, again saying this would force $5M in spending reductions and "just destroy us." She said "its still out there, but its on the back burner."

- Any federal "stimulus" handout that is received (estimated at $1.4 M over 2 years) will have "strings attached" and probably will not be available as revenue for the 2009-10 budget. It also may be specifically earmarked for "new programs" - if not, it will go into the District's "fund balance."

- The remaining discussion revolved around cuts proposed in "co-curriculars" (athletics, clubs, field trips, and related transportation), - a few concerned parents (I assume, anyway) that spoke up pretty much said they would be willing to pay higher taxes, or contribute otherwise (like a fee), to have them restored.

Enough said. You get the picture.

For the taxpayer here in OP (and perhaps in your school district as well), I'm afraid any advocacy for the wallet is pretty hopeless. But not "for the children."
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by opfrontdoor; March 22nd, 2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Attachments

Thread Information