A few observations from last night's OP School Board meeting:

Slap me on the back of the head, but it appears to me that there is not a single advocate on the OP School Board or in the District administration interested in any advocacy for the taxpayer.

It was my silly intention to speak at the School Board meeting last night during the public comment period in an effort to respectfully remind the Board who pays the bills.

But upon entering the room, I changed my mind. Frankly, had I spoke up, I believe I would have been lynched afterward.

The room was near full - numerous teachers, a group of teacher's aids, and even a few principals. There were also local union leaders on hand, including a Ms. Margo Kazmarek, representing teacher's aids and the "SRP" (School Related Personnel) union bargaining unit, and the Orchard Park Teachers Association President, Ms. Theresa Paradowski.

Both were there to speak consecutively to urge the Board not to make any personnel budget cuts - in this case, to teacher's aids positions at the Middle School - "for the children" of course. Their comments were met with applause from the many union faithful on hand, who were all standing while each was speaking.

There was no direct verbal response from the Board, but one couldn't help to notice the sympathetic facial expressions and body language, the direct eye contact with "someone" in the audience, and even a few nods.

I believe they are all on the same team. Duh?

Of particular distaste a bit later, after the already distasteful budget discussion and review of the bleak "revenue side" for 2009-10 and beyond, and the continued prospect of an unprecedented 8.74% tax levy increase under consideration for 2009-10 (despite $2.9M in proposed cuts, but with an overall 4.82% increase in spending of $3.1M over last year's budget), Superintendent Thomas made an amazing statement.

I believe it says it all about the mindset, if there was any doubt.

She noted that there were many teachers in the audience, and urged those in attendance to support the efforts of "one of the strongest lobbies in Albany and in the federal government area, NYSUT (the New York State United Teachers) in their push to kill proposed legislation intended to cap annual school property tax increases at 4% in New York State.

She exclaimed that if OP property tax had to "cap-out" this year at a 4% increase, "we would be looking at a $5M reduction (in revenue) instead of the current $2M."

I wonder why. Could it have anything to do with escalating out-of-control cast-in-concrete "sold down the river" spending - like the '"fixed costs", say, of our negotiated union contracts perhaps? No way.

This is the way. It's the only way... "for the children", you idiot.

So, please... just shut up, "suck it up," open up those wallets. Here we come.