Thread: Town Supervisor confirms what I have said all along

Town Supervisor confirms what I have said all along

Depew Library closing as of 2006
    By Lee Chowaniec
    Sep 22, 2005, 13:12

“On the first of 2006, the Depew library will be gone, a sad day for all us Lancaster residents,” said Lancaster Town Supervisor Robert Giza at the September 19, 2005 Town Board meeting. “It is a well-used library, it’s a well-run library, but it would be a hard time trying to sell the general public on spending $300,000 of taxpayer money on keeping the Depew library open.”

Giza gave an update on what has transpired to keep the Depew library in operation.

After appearing before the Town Board a few weeks ago to make their funding needs known, the Lancaster Library Board (LLB) appeared before the Lancaster Industrial Development Agency (LIDA) to petition for grant money to keep the Depew library open until the end of the year.

Giza gave an update on what has transpired to keep the Depew library in operation:

“The New York State Library Charter declares that we need to be open for a total 55 hours a week for the two buildings. We have been operating at 59 hours. So, we had to come up with $62,000 to keep both libraries open for the remainder of the year”

“Then we had to look at continued funding to keep them open through 2006. That cost was estimated at $300,000. To maintain the NYS Library Charter, we have to keep the hours open at fifty-five.”

“It would be one thing if we came up with the money to keep them both running through 2006 and then something good came along in funding so it wouldn’t cost the town money. If anything, the future looks bleaker for that to happen.”

“The Lancaster Library Board contacted the Lancaster Industrial Development Agency (LIDA), which I (Giza) Chair. The LIDA was established to help fund industry opportunities for Lancaster. That’s not to say they don’t offer grants for community projects”.

“The Depew library is 5,000 sq.-ft. in size with 46 parking spaces whereas the Lancaster library is 10,000 sq.-ft. in size with only 20 parking spaces. They are attempting to purchase land adjacent to the Lancaster library to expand parking.”

“We contacted Depew and Cheektowaga. Cheektowaga is closing two of their four libraries. They are not willing to fund any of the Depew library costs. Depew is willing to contribute some money, not officially, but said they would look into it. After all, it (library) is in Depew.”

Giza stated that at last week’s LIDA meeting, the Lancaster Library Board said that they had come to the conclusion that it wouldn’t be feasible to keep the Depew library open next year, knowing that they would be facing another $300,000 shortfall the next year.

“So they compromised and made a smooth transition decision to keep the Depew library open to 2006, at which time it will be closed down. The Lancaster Library Board was concerned that if they the closed the Depew library over the next couple of weeks, a lot of the books, shelving, computers, etc. would be taken over by other libraries.”

“By keeping the Depew library open until December allows for a smooth transition where the Lancaster library has the first choice of refusal at the books, computers, etc.”

“The Lancaster Library Board (LLB) has funding in their treasury. The LIDA gave them $30,000 toward the $62,000 that is required for keeping both libraries open the remainder of the year. The LLB has to come up with thirty-some thousand to cover the expenses and keep some money ($5,000) in their treasury. State Senator Dale Volker just got $20,000 in state money to help offset the $32,000 that the library has to raise.
    The remainder of the money will raised through other avenues.”

Giza also made mention that the Town of Lancaster sends approximately $1.2 million to the county to run libraries. “In return, we get back $600,000 to run our libraries. The next question is, where is the other $600,000 going. Well, I asked that question. They claim the main library (Buffalo) has more books and more services and use more than all the other 51 libraries.”

It should be noted that Rebecca L. Pordum, Chairwoman of the Buffalo and Erie County Public Library Board (BECPLB) recently stated in a news report that the board had no choice but to close certain libraries considering their operating budget had been reduced by $7 million over the past two years.

Pordum also declared that the library had predicted this crisis several years ago and tried to convince elected leaders and residents that a 52-library system is no longer viable as our population and tax base declines. A system of fewer, better libraries was the hope – the plan. That plan was realistic and rational, but there were precious few who would entertain such a notion then.

Makes one wonder:

We have a supposed “tax revolt” and few voters show up at the primary election. And, the same political class gets elected spouting reform principals that their respective party bosses would never allow them to pursue.

The public expects reform policies that will lower taxes, yet there is a large base that refuses to give up services that are dear to them. The residents of Jamestown just voted down a proposal to spend money to maintain their library services at its current level of services. The same feeling prevails in many towns and villages.

A lot of the other towns share the same feelings about receiving much less in services for the amount of monies shipped to the county for a Buffalo main branch that appears to be more than what it should be. Why is it we don’t expect better from our county, town, or village leaders anymore? Where is the consolidation to reduce costs and eliminate abuse?

Its politics as usual, they all feed from the same trough!
    http://www.speakupwny.com/article_2277.shtml

The verbatum from Lancaster Town Supervisor in this article has confirmed what I have been saying all along about the Buffalo and Erie County Libraries.

Good job Lee.

NO:
    Forgive me if you have answered this before. Your staunch advocation for the Library system makes me wonder?
    What would be your best plan to save services yet reduce costs?
    This is not a jab at you. I do believe you have an idea but I may have not seen it articulated here. I am interested to know.

What would be your best plan to save services yet reduce costs?

If the County has no "plan" to reduce cost of the taxpayers, there is no reason to reduce the cost of the the libraries.

This is total vebatum whereas the Town Supervisor is saying what I have said - still paying the same amount is Property tax dollars but if any area wants to keep there libraries they will have to take on the burden of paying for them with more than the already property tax implimented.

Your staunch advocation for the Library system makes me wonder?

I have said in many posts that it's more of a concern for the taxpayers of Erie County.

This is not a jab at you.

Yeah, right.

I am interested to know

which now makes me wonder. I have only been saying the same thing for 6 months. But hey, as you know (like everyone else) I am just being Pointless as always.

Now we have a supervisor crying the blues because he has a branch closing. The City of Buffalo is losing 7 without the chance of raising it's own money to get them off the closure list.

What is there for you to wonder about? It's all verbatum from the Town Supervisor of Lancaster. Lee (Chowaniec) did a great job getting it up on speakup.

Thread Information