Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City of Buffalo Schools

Question City of Buffalo Schools

Why are COB's school's academic & sports teams inferior to their suburban counterparts ? Any ideas (or do some disagree with this ?) Just curious....
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

No questions or solutions or opinions on this very important question/opinion ?
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15

Because of racists! Racist teachers, racist basketballs, racist footballs, and racist referees!

RACISTS! Racists! Somebody listen to me, I said Racists! Why does nobody listen to me!?!
    -BTT

Quote Originally Posted by dgrzeb View Post
    Why are COB's school's academic & sports teams inferior to their suburban counterparts ? Any ideas (or do some disagree with this ?) Just curious....
    because of less parental interaction with their kids and by that i mean parents could care less about their kids IF THEIR ARE ANY PARENTS!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    Because of racists! Racist teachers, racist basketballs, racist footballs, and racist referees!

RACISTS! Racists! Somebody listen to me, I said Racists! Why does nobody listen to me!?!
    -BTT
    AWESOME Fisher !!! YOU read my mind !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dgrzeb View Post

Sports in Buffalo are bad because of how backward the schools run sports. WNY is not much better. Hell, NYS as a whole short changes kids EVERY year.

If you look at the sports that do well in the area..it has NOTHING to do with the schools. It has to do with the feeder programs.

The ONLY reason why WNY produces good college basketball players is the AAU programs. If you go back to when Sweet Home was a NATIONAL powerhouse in girls Volleyball, it was because of the developmental program that Sally Krus created. If you look at the Lacross, Hockey, Volleyball or Track teams that do well....it is all developmental programs.

The REASON why NYS and WNY does not produce consistant scholarship players is because of the rules around NYS athletics. Teams are allowed a fraction of the time for practice AND games compared to other states in the US.

The funds used in other states for Athletics go to "other sources" in NYS. I will let people guess what "Group" eats up that money.

It is stupid to think Ohio, Pennsilvina have better ahtletes. Rather, these states allow for spring and summer practice AND longer seasons.

A HS football player in Section 6 gets about 60 hours of practice a season. A HS player in Ohio gets double to triple that. It is no wonder that a school willing to invest 100k in the cost of an education is going to invest that into a more developed player. It gets even worse for kids in the city.

The ONLY way to overcome this is to be simply AMAZING or to have the tools (READ MONEY FROM PARENTS) to develop yourself outside of the structure of HS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    because of less parental interaction with their kids and by that i mean parents could care less about their kids IF THEIR ARE ANY PARENTS!
    you're right dougles , I very seldom here of one parent having to car-pool their kids (& other family's kids) to soccer or basketball practice & taking turns doing so or one being responcible for treats & taking turns with that each week also..........& back to the actual school issue , PTA meetings are almost non-existent , very low attendence.........why ? I have to confess , I do not know the attendence figures in the 'burbs either........my bad......

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Sports in Buffalo are bad because of how backward the schools run sports. WNY is not much better. Hell, NYS as a whole short changes kids EVERY year.

If you look at the sports that do well in the area..it has NOTHING to do with the schools. It has to do with the feeder programs.

The ONLY reason why WNY produces good college basketball players is the AAU programs. If you go back to when Sweet Home was a NATIONAL powerhouse in girls Volleyball, it was because of the developmental program that Sally Krus created. If you look at the Lacross, Hockey, Volleyball or Track teams that do well....it is all developmental programs.

The REASON why NYS and WNY does not produce consistant scholarship players is because of the rules around NYS athletics. Teams are allowed a fraction of the time for practice AND games compared to other states in the US.

The funds used in other states for Athletics go to "other sources" in NYS. I will let people guess what "Group" eats up that money.

It is stupid to think Ohio, Pennsilvina have better ahtletes. Rather, these states allow for spring and summer practice AND longer seasons.

A HS football player in Section 6 gets about 60 hours of practice a season. A HS player in Ohio gets double to triple that. It is no wonder that a school willing to invest 100k in the cost of an education is going to invest that into a more developed player. It gets even worse for kids in the city.

The ONLY way to overcome this is to be simply AMAZING or to have the tools (READ MONEY FROM PARENTS) to develop yourself outside of the structure of HS.

100% correct, Growing up I swam YEAR ROUND, litterally 48 week of the year as much as 15 hours a week in the pool. When it came time to swim in HS, we only had 9 hours of pool time a week and had a second rate coach. Without my "club" team, i would never have gotten the training i did which lead to being good enough to be a top 10 swimmer in this state (which isn't saying much) but was able to get a Athletic scholorship to a D1 school!

100% correct, Growing up I swam YEAR ROUND, litterally 48 week of the year as much as 15 hours a week in the pool. When it came time to swim in HS, we only had 9 hours of pool time a week and had a second rate coach. Without my "club" team, i would never have gotten the training i did which lead to being good enough to be a top 10 swimmer in this state (which isn't saying much) but was able to get a Athletic scholorship to a D1 school!

There is a good book called "The Outliers" you should read.

It actually breaks success down to hours invested. The number set to be at the highest level is 10,000 hours. The author pointed out a couple of examples where people were in the right place at the right time and were able to spend this much time.

As for the second rate coach....that is a Teachers Union thing. They view coaching positions as bonus money and work in these jobs to the contract. At my HS, an AMAZING soccer coach was forced to step down because another teacher had higher ranking and wanted the position.

When you combine these two, the State limits the amount of time simply because the teachers who take the position of coach do not want to invest that extra time.

In your case, it was not the fact that the pool was closed. Most schools have their own pool. Rather, the coaches only want to spend 9 hours a week to get the bonus v. 15 hours.

For the dedicated coaches who do care, their hands are tied. If they work with kids more than the allotted time, the school, coach and team get in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    In your case, it was not the fact that the pool was closed. Most schools have their own pool. Rather, the coaches only want to spend 9 hours a week to get the bonus v. 15 hours.

For the dedicated coaches who do care, their hands are tied. If they work with kids more than the allotted time, the school, coach and team get in trouble.

My case was a little different, My school didn't have a pool so we had to pracitce at a 20 yard (normal pools are 25 yards) in the basement of a 100 year old YMCA.

We didn't have any teachers that wanted to coach us so we hired elsewhere (if fact I was able to help with that) but they paid so little we got really not talented coaches. In facty in the 4 years i was on the team i had 4 different coaches!

BPS spends more on every student than almost every other district this side of Albany. The BPS is NOT an educational institution. It is an instrument for the redistribution of wealth first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by sock puppet View Post
    bps spends more on every student than almost every other district this side of albany. The bps is not an educational institution. It is an instrument for the redistribution of wealth first and foremost.
    bingo !!!

Unregistered
    thank you for answering the inferior part of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by dgrzeb
    you're right dougles , I very seldom here of one parent having to car-pool their kids (& other family's kids) to soccer or basketball practice & taking turns doing so or one being responcible for treats & taking turns with that each week also..........&
    do you live in buffalo or just collect a paycheck from buffalo taxpayers?

Quote Originally Posted by Tree_hugger29 View Post
    thank you for answering the inferior part of the question.

do you live in buffalo or just collect a paycheck from buffalo taxpayers?
    And thank you for answering the questions!

Unregistered
    And thank you for answering the questions!
    inferior because amherst residents post here parents aren't involved with their children in buffalo. someone suggested i shouldn't argue city versus suburbs. a helpful hint. i still have to look at suburban residents drawing a line in the sand about buffalo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information