Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City of Buffalo Schools

Quote Originally Posted by dgrzeb View Post
    Why are COB's school's academic & sports teams inferior to their suburban counterparts?
    Not sure were you got this information. Is this another thread were someone makes a blanket statement and assumes it as fact and everyone is supposed to go along with him/her ?

I cant speak for every sport, but since my son plays football I have some knowledge of that subject. Suburban teams play section, city teams play harvard cup and never the twain shall meet.

Basketball though I belive the nod goes to city from looking at this years results thus far.

Just looking at EAST schedule this year (a weak city basketball team that just started last year) and I see nothing but wins against suburban teams.

Mon 12/01/08 vs Cardinal O'Hara W 66 - 52
    Fri 12/05/08 @ Depew W 49 - 41
    Tue 12/23/08 @ Medina W 72 - 52

Mckinly (A better team) thumped most of the suburban teams they played.

Wed 12/03/08 vs Dunkirk W 81 - 41
    Sat 12/06/08 @ Fredonia W 83 - 68
    Tue 12/09/08 @ Holland Central W 92 - 51
    Wed 12/17/08 @ Dunkirk W 93 - 66
    Sat 01/17/09 @ Sweet Home L 80 - 84

Hockey I dont follow that closely but the last city suburban game was for the WNY High School League Mixed Division title and City Honors beat Dunkirk/Fredonia 3-2. Which is kinda funny when you consider those are our nerds

So please tell me what are you talking about?

I guess if your talking about swimming and wrestling the burbs probably get the nod (are those really even Sports?) but that would be due to there being a culture for that type of recreational activity in the burbs that is not so prevailiant in the city. Much the same way as I would guess the average midwest HS baseball team would beat the average HS baseball team in NY state. The culture is there in the midwest for that particular sport.

PTA meetings are almost non-existent
    My kids school PTA thing was last week. I went late, the auditorium was so crowded I had to stand in the hallway. When was the last time you were at a city PTA meeting?

taking turns doing so or one being responcible for treats & taking turns with that each week
    Now you got me befuddled are you talking about high school sports or Little league? You said COB schools so I assume your talking about high school sports. My boy is 16 and bigger then me. He plays football and no I dont bring him treats for half time. If you have a teenage son playing football and your trying to bring him treats at half time then I submit to you my friend, dont be surprised in 10 years when he is still living with you.

If your talking about little league then I am a little league coach in the only mixed league in the area (Tyro) and have been for some years (although I took last year off). We have oranges at half time. my moms always want to bring junk. I dont let them. Sports is about competition and that should be the focus, after the game I dont care and we sometimes have Pizza/Junk food partys.

Incidently the city teams beat the suburban teams in Tyro 70% of the time and its safe to say cheecktowaga always gets marked on my schedule as an easy win. As a matter of fact the only suburban team that doesnt get marked down as an auto win is Lackawanna.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    because of less parental interaction with their kids and by that i mean parents could care less about their kids IF THEIR ARE ANY PARENTS!
    Well douglas, I happen to be a parent and yes I have car pooled kids around before and after practise along with the other dads and moms on my kids team. They go to the games on a bus though.

You should spend your time wondering why Amherst which has almost as many kids to draw from as Buffalo and great super parents like you arent blowing away all the smaller burbs in every sport.

I dont no, maybe its because they have better parents? I guess if your football team loses a game its because the other team has great super duper parents? Beats me, maybe you guys in amherst need to step up your super duper parent game

You guys are so funny. I have an old army buddy in GA I talk to on the phone and he reads some of the threads like this and asks me if your all insane. Its good to talk to someone from out of the area especially when it comes to threads like this. He really nails the "petty tribe mentality" thing some of you have.

I tell him a lot of you are just Angry....... Angry and funny

Carry on though, I enjoy the madness
    Last edited by steven; February 26th, 2009 at 08:34 AM.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree_hugger29 View Post
    thank you for answering the inferior part of the question.

do you live in buffalo or just collect a paycheck from buffalo taxpayers?
    I WORK for the COB , they pay me a fair day's pay for a fair day's work , they give me nothing & NO ONE owes anyone anything........I have an honest job , helping make the COB better , I'm no "free-cheeser"........My name is up here , no fake ID , don't hide anonymously , like you do behind yours............
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

Steven , you're talking about the regular season basketball , let's see the scores AFTER the sectionals...............PTA meetings are in general VERY sparse , maybe not at your school , but I've ben to them also & you could shoot a cannon through the "crowd" & not hit anyone.........
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15

Steven , you're talking about the regular season basketball
    No I was talking about regular season basketball and Hockey, remeber City Honors one the mixed league hockey championship.

How many other sports do u want to discount to prove your theory?
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Playoffs are going on now
    CLASS A1
    Wednesday's - 7 p.m.
    9-Hutch-Tech (11-8) vs. 8-Middle College (15-5) at Grover Cleveland, 8 p.m.
    13-West Sen. East (5-15) at 4-McKinley (16-4)
    12-Hamburg (6-14) at 5-Lake Shore (13-7)
    10-Iroquois (6-14) at 7-Wmsv. East (9-11)
    11-Kenmore East (6-13) vs. 6-Riverside (14-6) at Hutch-Tech, 6 p.m.
    CLASS A2
    Wednesday's prequarterfinals - 7 p.m.
    9-Albion (11-9) at 8-Cheektowaga (7-12)
    13-Starpoint (5-15) at 4-Maryvale (13-7)
    12-Amherst (7-13) at 5-Pioneer (10-10)
    10-Bennett (11-9) vs. 7-Lafayette (10-8) at Grover Cleveland, 6 p.m.
    11-South Park (9-11) at 6-Lew-Port (9-11)
    CLASS B1
    Wednesday's prequarterfinals - 7 p.m
    9-Burgard (6-13) at 8-Dunkirk (8-12)
    10-Tonawanda (5-15) at 7-Newfane (7-13)
    11-Springville (6-13) at 6-Fredonia (10-9)
    CLASS B2
    9-JFK (3-15) at 8-Roy-Hart (3-17)
    10-Buffalo Arts (3-16) vs. 7-City Honors (5-15) at Hutch-Tech, 8 p.m

I think COB schools are well represented considering the disparity in numbers

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    CLASS A1
    Wednesday's - 7 p.m.
    CLASS A2
    CLASS B1
    CLASS B2

This is hockey , correct , let's see after the playoffs ? OK ? Same with the basketball , etc. after the playoffs..........

This is hockey , correct , let's see after the playoffs ? OK ? Same with the basketball , etc. after the playoffs..........

No this is basketball.

City Honors already won the mixed league Hockey championship.

C'mon man follow along with me

No this is basketball.

Sorry Steven , I follow the Sabres , was never big on the LaSalle/Explorer HS Hockey League (if in fact that's what it's still called ?

No this is basketball.

Steven,

I am not sure the mixed league is playing at the same level as the Federation in terms of Hockey. Added to this, even the best kids in WNY do not play HS hockey or if they do they play just for fun.

The top level kids play JR A Hockey, for a team like the Buffalo JR Sabres. This team was called the Niagara Scenics when my friends played for them in the 90s.

I think it can be cooked down to the amount of time a program gets to practice and the level of competition a team gets to play. It does not matter where the kids are "from" so to speak.

Besides, NO SCHOOL in WNY should brag. Simply because ALL NYS schools are WAY WAY WAY behind other states in terms of HS athletics..except for maybe basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post

Besides, NO SCHOOL in WNY should brag. Simply because ALL NYS schools are WAY WAY WAY behind other states in terms of HS athletics..except for maybe basketball.

100% correct, Football, baseball, softball, hockey, field hockey, swimming/diving are for behind other states including PA and OH.

Their are a few sport in NYS that do have promise at producing good college level and pro/olympic athletes but not many like basketball, crew, wrestling and lax, but that's really about it!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

CLASS A1
    Wednesday's - 7 p.m.
    CLASS A2
    CLASS B1
    CLASS B2

Steven , if you can find them , could you please put up the updated scores of how well the Yale Cup (COB's) teams are doing in the sectionals against their suburban counterparts ? Just curious ?

No I was talking about regular season basketball and Hockey, remeber City Honors one the mixed league hockey championship.

How many other sports do u want to discount to prove your theory?
    Stop bringing up hockey as supporting argument. You don't know the facts.

City Honors is combined with Performing Arts and Cardinal O'Hara for one-team and won a division of 5 teams! Three schools to make up on team including suburban school - Cardinal O'Hara. Sounds like All-Star team to win a championship!

North Tonawanda who is leaving club hockey next year to become official school sport and follow the rules of high school athletics with pure teams and not all-star teams beat City Honors twice by combined score of 13-5. Not to mention they lost to Lancaster's JV team, 12-2!

It's no longer high school athletics when you have three or four teams making up a team.

They play at the club level where some suburban schools like St Francis, Lancaster have "B" and "C" teams. Winning a championship is nice but at this level is not impressive and these level of hockey is comparable to AAU than high school sports. The division consisted of Kenmore East/Kenmore West team that is non-sanctioned and filled with cuts from Kenmore East and Kenmore West JV teams! Dunkirk/Fredonia is made up from the following schools - Dunkirk HS, Fredonia HS, Forestville HS, Westfield Academy. Olean and Jamestown barely can field teams.

Olean is made up of players from Olean HS, Salamanca HS, Portville HS, Bradford PA HS, Belfast HS
    Jamestown is made up of players from Chautauqua Lake HS, Jamestown HS, Falconer HS, Frewsburg HS, Warren PA HS, Cassadaga HS, Randolph HS, Little Valley HS, Coudersport HS

All information is from http://sites.google.com/site/wnyhshockey/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information