Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Thoughts on God and Science

My Thoughts on God and Science

A few months back, I posted the following article on my blog. Since there have been similar threads on this forum, I thought it might be interesting to get your thoughts on the evolution vs. intelligent design debate. Here is that article:

I watched Nova’s “Intelligent Design on Trial” documentary last night on WNED. I found it immensely interesting. What I found most interesting was the polarization of the viewpoints of the evolution scientists and those who support the “intelligent design” theory, as if it was a Democrat vs. Republican debate. What if the answer was that both theories were true?

It struck me that explaining life through science is a lot like chasing the carrot on the stick that’s perpetually more than an arm’s length away. By the time we get to one answer, 30 more questions arise. Perhaps inner space is as vast and infinite as outer space is.

What science can’t explain to me so far is exactly what it is that causes the evolution of the fish to the amphibian and ape to man. If evolution is merely an adaptation to environment, what sparks that need to adapt? Is it in the remembered motions and feelings experienced, stored in our DNA and passed on through reproduction? Or is it all controlled by a governing life force or energy that inherently understands the Yin and Yang of the universe?

What keeps the universe from spinning wildly out of control? What is it that keeps your heart beating and your lungs breathing? What is it that keeps us alive one moment and strikes us dead the next? Will we ever be able to define that energy and how it came to exist? It seems to me that science can define and explain the past and the present, but not the future. That can only be predicted based on analysis of past data.

I don’t know the answers to any of these questions and I doubt seriously that I ever will in my lifetime, but I will keep my mind open to all the possible explanations. I hope our scientists and theologians do too.
    “Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMiller
    What keeps the universe from spinning wildly out of control? What is it that keeps your heart beating and your lungs breathing? What is it that keeps us alive one moment and strikes us dead the next? Will we ever be able to define that energy and how it came to exist?
    Gravity
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

"Intelligent" Design is nothing more than an attempt by creationists to get their backward notions into public classrooms. The fact that so many people buy their arguments as "scientific" is an absolutely sad and depressing commentary on the lack of critical thinking skills in today's society.

I don't see any conflict between science and religion, just a matter of seven days opposed to millions of years. And in the universe, our days and years are just a blink of an eye, just as the mayfly's life is 24 hours long, a day to us but a lifetime to the insect.

The evolution of fish to amphibian has been understood. If you want positive proof, you can't have something that happened so long ago. Scientists have found the fossil remains of a combination fish/amphibian, which had a fish body and four appendages which allowed it to crawl. All living creatures on earth, except those at the bottom of the ocean or anaerobes, depend on oxygen. Even today we see the reverse in action, though, when humans with emphysema are allowed to live because their bodies have adjusted to less oxygen and more CO2. But these humans are dying very slowly because they're going backwards in evolution.

Science = How?

Religion = Why?
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

I listened very carefully to both sides of the argument in that documentary.

While I totally agree that the "intelligent design" theorists have a political agenda and some major holes in their arguments, I find those same issues with the evolution theorists.

I don't think that either side is open to the possibility that there is something greater than that which we can explain.

In the case of evolution, there is no explanation as to what it is that governs and facilitates the needs for adaptations to particular environments. There has to be some eternal life force or energy that listens and responds to those needs. At least, that's what I've deduced from all these theories.

Am I wrong?
    “Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Miller
    I listened very carefully to both sides of the argument in that documentary.

While I totally agree that the "intelligent design" theorists have a political agenda and some major holes in their arguments, I find those same issues with the evolution theorists.

I don't think that either side is open to the possibility that there is something greater than that which we can explain.

In the case of evolution, there is no explanation as to what it is that governs and facilitates the needs for adaptations to particular environments. There has to be some eternal life force or energy that listens and responds to those needs. At least, that's what I've deduced from all these theories.

Am I wrong?
    First, please do not confuse scientific terminology. Calling "'intelligent' design" a theory demonstrates a gross misunderstanding of the definition of the term 'theory.' Saying "evolution is just a theory" also demonstrates a gross misunderstanding of the same. More information is provided here.

Evolutionists don't have a political agenda?
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Everything is a theory until it's proven. Science is chasing answers and the questions keep changing.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue
    Evolutionists don't have a political agenda?
    Yeah, its called taking back the right to think.

Everything is a theory until it's proven. Science is chasing answers and the questions keep changing.
    You're right. It takes just as much faith to believe that we evolved from monkeys as it does to believe that we are created by God in His image.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan
    Yeah, its called taking back the right to think.
    We've always had the right to free think, it's why our country was founded in the first place.

We've always had the right to free think, it's why our country was founded in the first place.
    Its lost. The children are being led into a paradigm that does not mesh with 21st century possiblities and facts. Its called The deliberate Dumbing Down.

I understand that religion has always been interested in teaching principles, ethics, and etiquette. Thats fine. But when the fantasies, lies, and hypocrisy are included in that cariculum, any small child will see through that and bear the scares. Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, and God are all the same thing.

You're right. It takes just as much faith to believe that we evolved from monkeys as it does to believe that we are created by God in His image.
    We did not evolve from monkeys. Humans and Apes shared and ansestor. Its a simple as that.

Its 2008, not 1491.

"... On their way to Nazareth,
    Jesus and his disciples came across a Tyranasauras Rex with a thorn in his foot.
    "I don't see anything," said Thomas. Matthew nudged him," I'll put that in my book, said Thomas.
    And Jesus took the thorn out of the Tyranasauras' foot and it became Jesus friend and
    he sent the creature off to Scotland
    where the Scots thanked Jesus for the money from the fat, stupid American tourists who paid to see
    the Loch Ness monster." Bill Hicks

"Ever noticed how people who don't believe in evolution look really unevolved?" Bill Hicks

"Creationists. If the earth is only 6,000 years old, how do you explain dinosaur bones?"

"That's just God testing us!"

"I think God created YOU to test ME." Bill Hicks

"When you get to the Gates Of Heaven, St. Peter asks, "did you believe in Dinosaurs?"

"No."

"You idiot! That's God's easiest trick," said St. Peter

"AaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhH!"

"Bound for the lake of fire."

Bill Hicks
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information