Thread: Design modifications suggested for Lancaster Town Hall addition

Design modifications suggested for Lancaster Town Hall addition

Finding the need to expand and to eliminate costs for leasing property for the Building’s Department, the Town of Lancaster has bonded (or will) somewhere near $1.3 million to renovate the adjacent, and now vacant, former police and ambulance garages.

More...

My first thought on reading this article was that if one of the gadflies had written this letter, they would be called obstructionists and the letter would be filed, never to be considered again. My second thought was, who did they hire as architects, Dewey, Cheat-em, and Howe? I mean, read the parts about the traffic patterns, what a joke! My third thought was, no sprinkler system, is that allowed?

There was a picture of this addition in one of the papers and it didn't look like a historically matched addition to me. It looks like another contemporary, box type structure. I don't think the town needs to go forward with this addition. It's expensive and there's plenty of town-owned property that could be used instead. There's a 77,000 square foot building on Walden. Why don't we put the stupervisor's office there. Maybe by the loading docks, or the back area that floods. That way, people won't have to deal with him when they go to town hall.
    The town board creates the problems and when the residents complain, the town board tells them it's the resident's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    My first thought on reading this article was that if one of the gadflies had written this letter, they would be called obstructionists and the letter would be filed, never to be considered again. My second thought was, who did they hire as architects, Dewey, Cheat-em, and Howe? I mean, read the parts about the traffic patterns, what a joke! My third thought was, no sprinkler system, is that allowed?

There was a picture of this addition in one of the papers and it didn't look like a historically matched addition to me. It looks like another contemporary, box type structure. I don't think the town needs to go forward with this addition. It's expensive and there's plenty of town-owned property that could be used instead. There's a 77,000 square foot building on Walden. Why don't we put the stupervisor's office there. Maybe by the loading docks, or the back area that floods. That way, people won't have to deal with him when they go to town hall.
    Planning Board Chair Keysa made a lot of good points in his correspondences. The question is whether the modifications stay near budget. Everything has changed since the inception of this project regarding town revenues and spending.

And, as Keysa brought to light, if the current plan has significant shortcomings architecturally, in safety and in being user friendly, why would taxpayers back such a plan? But then again, does it matter to this town bord what residents think?

..... And the winners are!

General Contractor

$998,000.00
    MGR Constructors, Inc.
    -- (716) 681-9383
    P.O. Box 61
    Bowmansville, NY 14026
    Phone: (716) 681-9383
    Fax: (716) 681-3427

Electrical Contractor

$109,000.00
    Hildreth Electric