Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scanner - Who has one?

Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    YOU MEAN I can listen to POLKA music too???
    Ah , Cheektowaga isn't all Polish anymore , you can pick-up quite a bit of rap music now also........
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

Im only about 4 blocks from Cheektowaga.
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Ya know... I thought this thread was going to be about the other scanner, you know, the one where you put a picture or document in there and can scan it to the computer. I'm looking at mine right now. It's not plugged in and I can't remember the last time I used it.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

I have a scanner. I think most go for about $100. They are fun to listen to especially if you know someone who is working and you can hear the calls they go on. Very rarely do they do "silent" dispatches.

Quote Originally Posted by dgrzeb View Post
    Ah , Cheektowaga isn't all Polish anymore , you can pick-up quite a bit of rap music now also........
    if you get a scanner listen to cheek. lots of action now. weekends are good lots of calls to the galleria. the city is moving right into this town.

Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    if you get a scanner listen to cheek. lots of action now. weekends are good lots of calls to the galleria. the city is moving right into this town.
    Maybe we should all get together & invest in the moving co.'s like Mayflower ?
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15

I have one for police and fire in my area.Also got to lock out Buffalo in the summer time it never stop going off.

Unregistered
    One of my (now dead) relatives was one of the original partners of Mayflower.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    One of my (now dead) relatives was one of the original partners of Mayflower.
    From the "looks" of your avatar , you sure one of your relatives didn't come over here "ON" the "Mayflower" ? Actually , that co. has been bought & sold several times , right ?

Unregistered
    Actually , that co. has been bought & sold several times , right ?
    I believe so.

My Great aunt got screwed when her husband died. The other partner ripped her off in a "buyout."

Either way, she still died fairly wealthy. Not that I saw any of the inheritance.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    I believe so.

My Great aunt got screwed when her husband died. The other partner ripped her off in a "buyout."

Either way, she still died fairly wealthy. Not that I saw any of the inheritance.
    your great aunt got screwed in that era when they just rutinely screwed with women like it was sport.........sorry...........

I have a RadioShack PRO-95
    when I got it it was one of the best. not sure if it still is, but I still like it
    haven't used it in a while though

I'm fairly sure it's illegal in NY drive around with one in the car though unless you have an amature radio license (HAM) and then I've heard conflicting info on if that exception is only for ham radios that also have scan functions or if it includes stand alone scanners
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

or just ask the town board for tax money for the move im sure they would go
    for it. i beleive hand held scanners are illegal in a car, only if you us it for the weather thats ok....WOOF

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    I have a RadioShack PRO-95
    when I got it it was one of the best. not sure if it still is, but I still like it
    haven't used it in a while though

I'm fairly sure it's illegal in NY drive around with one in the car though unless you have an amature radio license (HAM) and then I've heard conflicting info on if that exception is only for ham radios that also have scan functions or if it includes stand alone scanners
    I have the same scanner. It was one of the best you could purchase at Radio Shack, but doesn't hold a candle to units you can find online, such as AOR and ALINCO.

As for scanners in vehicles, see the quotes and/or links, below.
    397. EQUIPPING MOTOR VEHICLES WITH RADIO RECEIVING SETS CAPABLE OF RECEIVING SIGNALS ON THE FREQUENCIES ALLOCATED FOR POLICE USE.

A person, not a police officer or peace officer, acting pursuant to his special duties, who equips a motor vehicle with a radio receiving set capable of receiving signals on the frequencies allocated for police use or knowingly uses a motor vehicle so equipped or who in any way knowingly interferes with the transmission of radio messages by the police without having first secured a permit to do so from the person authorized to issue such a permit by the local governing body or board of the city, town or village in which such person resides, or where such person resides outside of a city, or village in a county having a county police department by the board of supervisors of such county, is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars, or imprisonment not exceeding six months, or both. Nothing in this section contained shall be construed to apply to any person who holds a valid amateur radio operator's license issued by the federal communications commission and who operates a duly licensed portable mobile transmitter and in connection therewith a receiver or receiving set on frequencies exclusively allocated by the federal communications commission to duly licensed radio amateurs.

http://www.fordyce.org/scanning/scan...fo/nyslaw.html
    This has been discussed extensively on here and other railfan forums.

Section 397 of the NY V&T Law prohibits "equipping" a motor vehicle with a radio "capable" of receiving police frequencies.

A scanner mounted in or in any way attached to the vehicle is clearly in volation. A portable scanner used in but not connected in any way to the vehicle is a questionable but it has been prosecuted.

The law is a misdemenor - possible 6 mounths in jail! Usual penalty is a plea bargin to a non-misdemenor vehicle equipment violation and a fine and possible seizure of the scanner.

It is seldom enforced but it can be if you come to the attention of a police officer. With the homeland security paranoia, this is something the police can use against you if they decide you are engaged in suspicious activity.

If you are standing outside the vehicle with a handheld scanner this law does not apply but Peanl Law 140.40 "unlawful possession of a radio device" could be used if the officer has reason to believe you are about to commit a burglary or similar crime.

The above post was prudent advice.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewt...=36270&start=0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information