Thread: Whats next for the Oshei Foundation after the Martin House Complex is done

Caledon

Whats next for the Oshei Foundation after the Martin House Complex is done

Yeah, but whats next for the Oshei Foundation...considering time, $$ & leadership

Yes, I think the Martin House Complex restoration will be good for Buffalo but now that its done (all the buildings are back and its ready for tours...though I reallize that there will be ongoing work and finishing touches for some time to come)....Im suprised that no one has asked what the next project is?

Think of all the years of volunteers that have been donated
    Think of all the $$ that have been spent and donated
    Think of all the leadership that has been focused on this project

I would hope that people would start asking whats the next major project in the city!
    -Is it going to be the Richardson
    -Central Terminal
    -The Peace Bridge, Front Park and Niagara Street Gateway to the city project
    -Adaptive reuse and restoration of the AM&A's Building
    -creative and adaptive re-use of some of our more historic grain elevators
    -The West Side Rowing Clubs, Wright Designed Boathouse
    -Restoring the Larkin Company Building (aka Seneca Industrial Complex)
    -Rewatering the Western Terminus of the Canal and rebuilding the Commercial Street Warf district
    -Rebuilding the Larkin Administration Building for the Buffalo Chamber of Commerce
    -a new Burchfield Penny Art Gallery (already in discussion)
    -a new Albright Knox Art Gallery (mentioned on their website)
    -how about upgrading the exterior of the Trico Building across the street on Main so it doesnt look like the Martin House Landmark is feet away from a slum

The Oshei Foundation has spent alot of time on the Martin House Complex....once the buildings are up....they should have enough of a revenue stream to continue restoration on their own. I and many others would like people to start asking what is the next project in a city filled with projects desperately in need of time, money and leadership!!!!!

Re: Whats next for the Oshei Foundation after the Martin House Complex is done

Originally posted by Caledon
    I think the Martin House Complex restoration will be good for Buffalo but now that its done (all the buildings are back and its ready for tours...though I reallize that there will be ongoing work and finishing touches for some time to come)....Im suprised that no one has asked what the next project is?
    I think they're still quite far from being done. They're currently working on building the pergola and conservatory, but i'm not sure those will be completed this year. The carriage house doesn't even have a start date yet from what I heard. (foundation was poured, but house itself won't be built yet.) Also the old apartment building still needs to be torn down, and the large visitor center still needs to be built.

I think many years are left on this project...

It takes a Village

It's not just the Oishei Foundationthat that has a vested interest in seeing the House restoration succeed, the 21st Century Fund supported a demolition and the Margaret L. Wendt Foundation has supported past projects...I'm sure there were otheres as well.

I think the next big civic project is going to be the Richardson renovation- the money is budgeted by the State- but they're dragging their feet on letting it go.

Market forces will take care of the others (AM&As, Trico, etc.). Don't count on seeing Larkin rebuilt and Chamber of Commerce dome/bank that was torn down at Main and Seneca will maybe come back as a facade to a new structure, some day, when shovel-ready sites are actually in demand.

Central Terminal- until a new use is found or the thing is clearly falling down and the State comes to the rescue, its going to be a long process.

Caledon

2006 Is the completion date on their website for the Martin House Complex

2006 Is the completion date on their website for the Martin House Complex

Yes, I know construction isnt done this year but next year we should start to see the construction winding down and that means resources available for the next project.

I find this so fascinating to see what other people think that Im going to take all the ideas that Ive read from other posters and put out a poll to see what people think should be the next major civic project for Buffalo.

Thread Information