Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Eminent Domain

Personally, I admire the Preservation Board's efforts in attempting to retain our city's historical architecture and appeal. And I know that board takes a lot of abuse too, as I've given more than my fair share to them. They've "controlled" a number of our projects throughout the years and in retrospect, they were usually correct.

These old city buildings come down with ease and its cheap in cost, and when its proposed to replace the building with a parking pad, we need to carefully weigh the community benefit against the loss. Thats what the preservation boards do, and I've learned to trust their judgement and draw from their knowledge.

Elmwood Avenue has far more to offer the public than a diner that needs additional parking. Relocating the building isnt the answer here, preserving the building and avoiding a street front parking pad is the answer.

How many more demoliton proposals and parking pads will follow this one, if allowed? This preservation deal is bigger than Pano's current success and their added parking requirements.

My 2 cents on Pano's and preservation..

At the height of the controversy regarding the Pano's proposed parking lot, Pano took one of the local TV stations through there to see the damage. In my view, not only was it gutted and vandalized, but the foundation was cracked and crumbling in places. It looked beyond repair or preservation to me.

I generally believe in preservation efforts, but I'm not along for this one, ESPECIALLY using eminent domain. That's just my view.

Has anyone here actually been inside to see if this is or isn't an entirely cost-prohibitive venture?
    How can we change things?

Originally posted by NCnewbie

Has anyone here actually been inside to see if this is or isn't an entirely cost-prohibitive venture?
    not long ago they had the same excuse for the AM&As building, it was way beyond repair with no hope. It was structurally blown.

Now that the hugely excessive free public money isn't available to acquire and demolish it, AM&As magically isn't a disaster waiting to fall in on itself, but an easily salvageable adaptive re-use property, and marketed for sale as such.

The house next to Pano's is a cinch to rehabilitate. Rubble foundation and all...

moonshine
    A friend of mine lived there. That place needs a large dose of jewish lightning.

Exactly who do you think overturns the supreme court?
    Congress.
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

Originally posted by Curmudgeon
    Congress.

And the People of this Great Country if they grow a set and do it!
    May you live forever.....and the last voice you hear.....MINE!

Originally posted by NCnewbie
    My 2 cents on Pano's and preservation..

At the height of the controversy regarding the Pano's proposed parking lot, Pano took one of the local TV stations through there to see the damage. In my view, not only was it gutted and vandalized, but the foundation was cracked and crumbling in places. It looked beyond repair or preservation to me.

I generally believe in preservation efforts, but I'm not along for this one, ESPECIALLY using eminent domain. That's just my view.

EXACTLY thank you. You seen that news clip also.
    back to my original solution. Torch the place - problem solved.
    Is it wrong yes. Is it wrong for people to force the guy to keep something he does not want - yes. Are there people willing to buy it - I have not heard of anyone stepping up to the plate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information