Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eminent Domain

I think we should try to take back the block the new Federal Courthouse will be built on.

They've actively harmed the space by pushing out taxpaying tenants.

And, as a tax-exempt entity, they won't be adding to public coffers in the future.

So, entirely in the spirit of the recent case, even a measly hot dog stand would be an upgrade. From a tax-generating point of view.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

moonshine
    Curm,

Once again, I admire your ability to to find a creative solution, but the one you described would not work. The lien would be removed when the title changed hands and you would still be stuck with the bill. See my previous post in the cedarwoods thread describing this and how it relates to foreclosures.

If you are willing to lose the property, but win the battle, I suggest turning your property into a nuclear waste dump. The years of lawsuits and money needed to cleanup a waste site far exceeds any developer's deep pockets.

If a lowly town supervisor can mumble the words "eminent domain" and immediately remove any leverage the property owner maintains in selling their property for a fair market value the property owner should at least be able to issue nuclear waste threats to level the playing field.

Lumphead Town Supervisor: "If you, Joe Sixpack, refuse to sell your home to Biff Developer we shall examine the use of eminent domain"

Joe Sixpack (aka Crafty Citizen): "If you, Lumphead Supervisor, even consider stealing my property I will turn your town into the biggest federal cleanup project since love canal.".

id be sitting on my front steps with this:
    http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/870mrmag.htm

Wow, a side of ErieMan that I never would have guessed on.

I think their are many problems with the "NUCLEAR THREAT" unless you are sitting on the front porch with your finger on the trigger.

First and formost is permits to get nuclear waste to your property.

BUT if you tone it down just a bit you got them. Let the electric company use your property to store old transformers. Dioxin is just as hard to remove as nuclear and you need no special permits. Or storage of old chemicals from one of the many Hospitals around here....They will even pay you to pick it up and transport it to your storage factility.

As for me I like the finger on the trigger......Homemade nuke......BOOOOMMMM!

May you live forever.....and the last voice you hear.....MINE!

As much as I appreciate a good "fight for what is beleived" , I must say, some of you are really scaring me. LOL

moonshine
    Chancellor...

je suis l'une des bonnes gens. j'aime mon pays mais déteste mon gouvernement.

Originally posted by Chancellor Qu'noH
    I think their are many problems with the "NUCLEAR THREAT" unless you are sitting on the front porch with your finger on the trigger.

First and formost is permits to get nuclear waste to your property.

BUT if you tone it down just a bit you got them. Let the electric company use your property to store old transformers. Dioxin is just as hard to remove as nuclear and you need no special permits. Or storage of old chemicals from one of the many Hospitals around here....They will even pay you to pick it up and transport it to your storage factility.

As for me I like the finger on the trigger......Homemade nuke......BOOOOMMMM!

off topic, but the streams of smoke on the left of the mushroom cloud comes with an interesting story...i think the page you linked the image off of explains the use of smoke rockets when testing nuclear explosions....

Once again, I admire your ability to to find a creative solution, but the one you described would not work. The lien would be removed when the title changed hands and you would still be stuck with the bill. See my previous post in the cedarwoods thread describing this and how it relates to foreclosures.
    didn't see the other thread... Title cannot change hands until all liens are satisfied. The (rich and powerful) lending/banking industry would not allow it.
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

Originally posted by Night Owl
    id be sitting on my front steps with this:
    http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/870mrmag.htm

Wow, a side of ErieMan that I never would have guessed on.

I would not hesitate to kill or severely injure anyone who posed an imminent danger to my family, especially my dog . I don't believe in police protection.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I would not hesitate to kill or severely injure anyone who posed an imminent danger to my family, especially my dog . I don't believe in police protection.

PLus isn't police protection always after the fact?

Heres a thought that occured to me last night when watching the news......

Anyone following the pano's fight?
    I wonder if Tony has considered using eminent domain to take the property.

Originally posted by steven

Doesn't the concept of "consideration" contain the capacity for thought?
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Originally posted by WNYresident
    PLus isn't police protection always after the fact?
    Never there when you need them, always there when you don't.

I 100% with NWA when Ice Cube recited probably his most well known lyrics ever.

Like everything else, Eminent Domain has it's price. If property starts being taken everywhere, the investment community won't invest in such an uncertian market. Over time, property values will decline as capital seeks safer harbors and the pool of potential buyers will shrink.

And, if you think that the lending community will tolerate municipalities converting their issued mortgages guaranteed by the collateral of the mortgaged property into consumer credit held by the former owners (who got their property "eminent domained"), you're crazy.

We will all end up paying higher interest rates OR we will have to get "Eminent domain insurance" to protect the banks from such exposure, kind of like PMI. Either way, the community at large will pay in the end in the form of lesser property values and higher lending costs.

There Ain't No such Thing As A Free Lunch.
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

Originally posted by steven
    Heres a thought that occured to me last night when watching the news......

Anyone following the pano's fight?

Just like the central Terminal you have a bunch of preservationists who insist that the building stay as is. Man, what is it with these people. The inside of the said building is gutted. The outer shell may seem interesting but it is not functional in any way. If the preservationists want the building then they should buy the property from the guy. A good price will make him sell.

If I was the guy the place would be torched. That is the only way to settle the thing. You want to tell me ehat to do with my building then no one will have the building.

Where did all these preservationist architects come from anyhow?? They do not have a pot to piss in and a window to throw it out of. Correction the preservationists all congregate at the Central Termninal's top tower office floor. Oh oh I need to check the weather report for that day to see if it really was raining outside.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information