Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legislature is broken ?

Legislature is broken ?

Legislature ‘still broken,’ seeks to avoid fiscal pain
    By James Heaney
    Donn Esmonde: Albany’s ills are killing upstate N. Y.
    Share this story:
    Buzz up!
    The State Legislature, whose dysfunction was again documented in a report released last week, wants to largely exempt itself from the fiscal pain that the next state budget will inflict on taxpayers, government employees and others reliant on funding from Albany.

In the face of a $15.4 billion state deficit, the Senate and Assembly proposed a $6.2 million, or 2.7 percent cut in their operating budget for the coming fiscal year.

“That’s a drop in the bucket when you consider New York has a $15.4 billion budget deficit,” said Lise Bang-Jensen, senior policy analyst with Empire Center for New York State Policy.

That would leave New York with the third-costliest state legislature in the nation, driven in part by more than 3,500 employees — larger than the work force of the City of Buffalo and the Town of Amherst combined.

What voters and taxpayers get for their money was the subject of a report issued last week by the Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University Law School. The center released reviews in 2004 and 2006 that detailed what its original report characterized as the nation’s most dysfunctional state legislature.

While noting some limited progress, the center’s latest report concludes: “New York’s legislative process remains broken.”

The root of the problem, according to the report is that “in both chambers, but especially in the Assembly, leadership maintained a stranglehold on the flow of legislation at all stages of the legislative process.”

The lack of a functioning committee system was cited as a by-product of this stifling culture.

“In truth, most standing committees in Albany exist only as a formality; they serve merely as a place to introduce legislation, not as a place to consider, debate, and remake legislation,” the report said.

Among the problems identified in a review of 2006 and 2007 operations (all figures below are for 2007):

• Committees often fail to meet. Nearly half of the Senate committees met fewer than three times and five didn’t meet at all. The Senate Ethics Committee hasn’t met in more than a decade, but its chairman has collected an annual $12,500 stipend anyway.

• Lockstep voting. Nearly nine in 10 committee votes on major legislation were unanimous and all the significant bills that reached the Senate and Assembly floor were approved. More than three-quarters of the time, those bills were not even discussed before being voted on.

• Failure to estimate the cost of legislation. The Senate finance committee generated cost estimates on only three major bills. No estimates were done for 2006.

• Excessive bill writing. Legislators authored more bills than the U. S. Congress, and approved fewer than one in 10.

• Last-minute lawmaking. Nearly one-third of the bills approved by the Senate, and nearly half of those approved by the Assembly, were passed during the last three days of the session.

• Inequitable spending practices. Members of the majority party — the Republicans in the Senate, until this week, and the Democrats in the Assembly, receive significantly more money to operate their offices than those in the minority.

• A lack of transparency. Shortcomings include a failure to maintain key records and a reluctance to provide public records to outsiders unless they go through the Freedom of Information process, which can be cumbersome.

The full report is available online at buffalonews.com/documents.

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver issued a statement that called the report “disappointing because it continues to misrepresent the substantive reforms that have been made in the Assembly, misunderstand the basics of the legislative process, and mislead the public as to what measures will actually lead to the formulation of better budgets and laws for all New Yorkers.”

Malcolm Smith, the Senate’s new majority leader, struck a different tone.

A spokesman said Smith and “the Democratic conference are committed to enacting rules reform which will begin to reshape the legislative process, making it more open, accountable and inclusive.”

Smith will have that opportunity in the upcoming legislative session, in which the budget for the Senate and Assembly will also be up for consideration.

Paterson’s proposed $54.4 billion operating budget calls for the same amount of spending as this year. But, to close the $15.4 billion deficit, Paterson has proposed cuts in aid for all kinds of services and establishing or raising 137 taxes and fees.

The spending plan is much kinder to the Legislature because it is of the Senate and Assembly’s own making. The state constitution requires the governor to include in the state budget whatever spending plan the Legislature proposes for itself. The governor has the option of trying to bargain the legislative leaders to trim spending.

The proposed $6.2 million spending cut amounts to four-tenths of one percent of what’s needed to close the deficit. The cuts would leave the Legislature with $219.8 million to spend.

While Paterson proposes that state employees defer five days of pay and give up a scheduled 3 percent salary increase, legislators would make no similar sacrifice because of a ban in the state constitution against pay cuts for sitting lawmakers.

As a result, legislators this year will receive every penny of their $16.9 million in salaries and $2.9 million stipends for carrying out duties that include chairing committees that don’t meet.

Many perks of incumbency also remain largely, if not entirely, untouched, in the proposed budget. For example, the budget lines for postage and printing are down slightly, by $200,000, leaving the Senate and Assembly with $11.3 million to use for items such as bulk-mail newsletters to constituents.

There’s plenty of room to make cuts in the Legislature’s budget, according to Bang-Jensen, of the Empire Center for New York State Policy.

“They could certainly have smaller staffs and send out fewer mailings. They could be more efficient with their resources they have,” she said.

The Senate, however, is poised for at least a temporary increase in employment.
    Legislative leaders struck a deal last week that allows Republican staffers slated to lose their jobs because the GOP has lost control of the Senate to remain on the payroll through March 31. That could make them potentially eligible for early retirement incentives that the state might offer.

So, at a time when the Democrats add jobs, the Republicans will hold onto theirs.

“I’m troubled by this three-month period when all these Senate Republican staffers will stay on the payroll,” Bang-Jensen said. “Where is that money coming from?”

jheaney@buffnews.com

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I read that article earlier. I don't even know what to say but we are being screwed big time.

Well Well what is broken? I will tell you what is broken its the Voters and other free cheese bastards that let this happen. I should feel sorry for some A hole who needs three months to get a retirement check? I dont friggin think so. I will go on record as saying that anyone who voted for an Incumbent is a dress wearing girl who has no morals. A hooker a whore who would sell there soul for the cheese. NY is broke and all of you who live off the tax payer dime are pure evile and I have no respect for.The two tax whores who represent me were elected by the free cheese Gubment employees. Oh yes I am pissed so all of you clowns who love this state gubment you all suck. Bite me.

Their message is getting heard louder than ours!

http://www.fox23news.com/news/local/...WkicSmyww.cspx

Unions Protest Paterson's Budget

"Hey, hey, ho,ho, Paterson's budget has got to go," chanted more than 4,000 union members as they marched on the Capitol.

"All of the unions effected by the Governor's proposed budget came together to say it's unfair and unjust as a reminder that he represents all the people, not just those in that auditorium, but the people out here on Main Street," says Danny Donohue. He's the president of the CSEA union, and an organizer for today's "March For Main Street."

He says the Governor's proposed budget will tax the working, middle class without asking big business and the wealthy to share the load. He says proposed cutbacks sound good on paper, but will hurt workers.

"Those cuts, cut services that taxpayers and our members not only create, but use every day," says Donohue.

Some workers, like Sciencia Torchon, traveled over two hours today, saying even bad weather couldn't keep her home.

"We have to have our voices heard, it's that important, our livelihoods are at stake," she says.

Union leaders say past efforts to work with the Governor and legislators have failed. They hope today, people don't just hear the Governor's State Of The State, but also their own.

"What I'm hoping is the people here the cries of the people here and say to the Governor, you have an interesting budget, but some of the stuff may not make sense," says PEF President Ken Brynien.

The union leaders we spoke with today say it doesn't end here. They say they will send representatives everywhere the Governor speaks after today, hoping to have their message heard.

I saw some free cheeser on the news the other night with a poster on her back that said something like "don't target me". I wish I would have seen her on a noose instead of the news. She sure was ugly.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

What do you expect from a Democratic majority state for the past 3 decades?

Quote Originally Posted by Enough View Post
    Their message is getting heard louder than ours!

http://www.fox23news.com/news/local/...WkicSmyww.cspx
    the unions support these politicians with money big time money $$$$$$$.
    the average person can complain but nothing gets done. more taxes more laws and Liberal Democrats that is why this state is broke. but lets hire more asst. comprtollers.

I also heard in that earlier report on the same matter that the only 3 of the legislatures decide what bill comes to the floor to be voted on!

So what do we even need the rest of them for? Volker and his Million dollar a year staff. This is the reason my wife and I are leaving NYstate for good. She is retired and I am 100% Disabled Veteran. Half of the thing the handbook for disabled NY veterans are supposed to get is an out and out Lie!

Easy pass for Disabled Veterans - Lie I was told they haven't done that since 95. The free l hunting fishing Licenses - Lie, only 25% off
    If your over 50% disable you are to get 75% of your state taxes - BS They leave it up to the county you live in and Erie only gives me 25%. I tryed to get my Veterans schooling so instead of sitting around with nothing to do I could go to school --- That was the biggest fiasco I ever had in my life. Suny Buffalo wouldn't even look at my paperwork. They're processer told me they don't like to work with the VA take out a loan and ask them to pay me back. So they discourage Veterans from appling.

So we went to see my son who lives Near Las Vegas Nevada {By Air Force base} And I receive so much more plus what I said NY doesn't give. We found a real nice home. We close on the 28th and will be leaving the 30th. We know the area and it is so much cheaper, cleaner and with things to do. I will not miss NY at all.
    Last edited by MartoQ; January 13th, 2009 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Wild hair up my butt
    Even Dictators have to respect the will of the pawns, for without their obedience, they have no power at all!

Quote Originally Posted by MartoQ View Post
    I also heard in that earlier report on the same matter that the only 3 of the legislatures decide what bill comes to the floor to be voted on!

So what do we even need the rest of them for? Volker and his Million dollar a year staff. This is the reason my wife and I are leaving NYstate for good. She is retired and I am 100% Disabled Veteran. Half of the thing the handbook for disabled NY veterans are supposed to get is an out and out Lie!

Easy pass for Disabled Veterans - Lie I was told they haven't done that since 95. The free l hunting fishing Licenses - Lie, only 25% off
    If your over 50% disable you are to get 75% of your state taxes - BS They leave it up to the county you live in and Erie only gives me 25%. I tryed to get my Veterans schooling so instead of sitting around with nothing to do I could go to school --- That was the biggest fiasco I ever had in my life. Suny Buffalo wouldn't even look at my paperwork. They're processer told me they don't like to work with the VA take out a loan and ask them to pay me back. So they discourage Veterans from appling.

So we went to see my son who lives Near Las Vegas Nevada {By Air Force base} And I receive so much more plus what I said NY doesn't give. We found a real nice home. We close on the 28th and will be leaving the 30th. We know the area and it is so much cheaper, cleaner and with things to do. I will not miss NY at all.
    Best of luck to you in Nevada. I know several WNY'ers who left for Las Vegas. Enjoy the rest of your life and don't worry about us, the Legislature gave us their leading blind man to lead us.
    Last edited by buffy; January 13th, 2009 at 12:33 PM.

Oh yes. That move is a revitalizing change for you and I'm sure you'll never regret it. You can always come back after an extended two-three year vacation out there, but here's hoping you won't want to.

My very young and almost newly married Marine grandson are there until he ships out again. That's their territory.

Total change of scenery in a lot of ways.

God bless good luck I agree NY sucks.

O.K. I know I preached this message before but here goes. If the state got rid of HEAP, WIC,universal pre-k, cut aid to nursing homes, cut aid to schools, cut aid to the disabled, got rid of senior vans, reduced medicare, eliminated state parks, etc... We would not be in this mess. The poorest of people who utilize these benefits do not pay taxes. They live eat and **** for free. Unfortunately, a lot of the poor are the elderly whose families fail to support them. We the tax payer can't pick and choose who is entitled to these benefits. Is it the politicians or the people who expect the free cheese? Hell there is a thread explaining how the politicians aren't doing enough for the disabled. I say let all workers get there own private disability insurance. The state shouldn't be in the insurance business. Employers should not have to pay for this benefit. Get rid of heap and wic. If you feel bad for the poor donate to a charity. City mission or catholic charities. Donate time to meals on wheels. Drive a neighbor to the doctor. Do these things and you can choose where your money goes. Bottom line is this, the politicians will never change because the people who elect them will never let them change. The public expects the free cheese.

A light bulb just went off over my head...

Citizen you are truly an enlightened individual.
    Fully stimulated...

I'm jealous, and the sad fact is that people like you leave everyday, the free cheesers care not, but they will when more and more leave.

I got 8 years then out!

Quote Originally Posted by a citizen View Post
    O.K. I know I preached this message before but here goes. If the state got rid of HEAP, WIC,universal pre-k, cut aid to nursing homes, cut aid to schools, cut aid to the disabled, got rid of senior vans, reduced medicare, eliminated state parks, etc... We would not be in this mess. The poorest of people who utilize these benefits do not pay taxes. They live eat and **** for free. Unfortunately, a lot of the poor are the elderly whose families fail to support them. We the tax payer can't pick and choose who is entitled to these benefits. Is it the politicians or the people who expect the free cheese? Hell there is a thread explaining how the politicians aren't doing enough for the disabled. I say let all workers get there own private disability insurance. The state shouldn't be in the insurance business. Employers should not have to pay for this benefit. Get rid of heap and wic. If you feel bad for the poor donate to a charity. City mission or catholic charities. Donate time to meals on wheels. Drive a neighbor to the doctor. Do these things and you can choose where your money goes. Bottom line is this, the politicians will never change because the people who elect them will never let them change. The public expects the free cheese.
    add taxing pensions, downsizing government and government salaries and you have utopia my friend!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information