Thread: Amherst deer farm idea runs into big roadblock

Amherst deer farm idea runs into big roadblock

The suggestion that the deer population of Amherst could be controlled by capturing wild deer and raising them as livestock on local, privately owned farms has been rejected by the state's Department of Environmental Conservation.

More...

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You mean there were a group of people actually considering this?

Unregistered
    do you think the dec would reject the idea of a beaver farm?

My friend in Australia was paid by the carcass for Kangaroo hides, due to their overpopulation and resulting damage to crops and vehicles.

The idea of hitting a herd of deer while crossing a road and travelling with my child, is of much less importance then allowing them to roam freely.

heres a plausible question, say your driving down the road, and bambi decides to commit suicide using your car. Can you keep the deer and eat it, if its not all mangled?

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    heres a plausible question, say your driving down the road, and bambi decides to commit suicide using your car. Can you keep the deer and eat it, if its not all mangled?
    I'm been told yes! You can't just drive down the road and shoot them!

If Amherst has such a big problem, why don't we have the RESIDENTS saftley take care of the problem! I know atleast 3 APD cops that would LOVE to do it. Then we can ask a butcher to chop the meat up and feed it at a food bank! Venesin makes a great stu, burger and jerky, HEALTHY TOO!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    I'm been told yes! You can't just drive down the road and shoot them!

If Amherst has such a big problem, why don't we have the RESIDENTS saftley take care of the problem! I know atleast 3 APD cops that would LOVE to do it. Then we can ask a butcher to chop the meat up and feed it at a food bank! Venesin makes a great stu, burger and jerky, HEALTHY TOO!
    I'd do it. And I wouldn't collect overtime while doing it. There are lots of deer all behind my house along with an area that would be extremely safe to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I'd do it. And I wouldn't collect overtime while doing it. There are lots of deer all behind my house along with an area that would be extremely safe to do so.
    The cops i know would do it for fun and free! Would you donate the meat?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    The cops i know would do it for fun and free! Would you donate the meat?
    Of course I would. I eat a lot but could never eat like 30 or more dear.

I'd prefer to leave the deer. People should know when you build where animals are they are going to stay. Go live in the city if you don't like animals.

The area behind the house is basically wetlands. If you stay where the land is low you would have to be a very very bad shot to endanger anyone.

You can keep a deer or bear that you hit under the following circumstances:

§ 11-0915 Envtl. Conserv. Disposal of deer, moose and bear killed unintentionally by collision.

The owner of a motor vehicle which has been damaged by unintentional collision with a deer, moose or bear shall be entitled to possess such deer, moose or bear under the following conditions:

1. The accident is reported to an environmental conservation officer, a member of the State Police, a member of the sheriff's department in which the accident occurred or, if the accident occurred on lands under the jurisdiction of the office of parks, recreation and historic preservation, to an officer of the regional park police having law enforcement responsibilities on such lands, or to any police officer of a city, town or village located in the county of such accident within 24 hours thereafter.

2. The officer shall investigate and, if he finds the deer, moose or bear has been killed or so injured as to require that it be killed and the damage has been done as alleged, he shall issue a permit to the owner of the motor vehicle entitling such owner to possess the carcass. Such permit shall authorize the owner of the motor vehicle to transfer the carcass to a designated person.

3. Whenever the owner of such damaged motor vehicle declines to possess such deer, moose or bear, the officer may in his discretion, issue a permit to possess the carcass to any other party requesting such possession.

Unregistered
    Yes... police mst be called and ill issue you a permit to allow you to keep it. If their is alot of trauma you might just want to leave it though.....

Yes, you can. You can also give it to the tow truck driver who hauls your vehicle to the collision shop or you can donate it to the local food bank (if they accept venison).

Been there done that.

Thread Information