Thread: Question?

Question?

Does anyone know or have any info on those new prostedic legs they are coming out with?

The VA says I would be a very good canadate for one but I can't find any info on the subject.

Thanks all!

PS. It is the one with the computer chips that make it work like a real leg.........so they say. I wonder if it get ichy or athelets foot?
    May you live forever.....and the last voice you hear.....MINE!

Is this what you're talking about?

C-LEG: The C-leg (computerized leg), developed by Otto Buck, is a microprocessor-controlled knee-shin system. Sensors within the leg take readings 50 times a second. They measure where the knee is and how much weight is on the foot. From there, real-time adjustments are made to keep the person steady on his or her feet. Also, a hydraulic system in the knee allows the person to have more control over the leg when they sit. Computer controls make for easy adjustments. If the person desires more or less tension in the knee, a prosthetist can make the changes on a computer, which is hooked up to the prosthetic limb and the changes are downloaded in a matter of seconds.

When a person stumbles, the leg is able to sense the change, and increase the resistance so the person does not fall to the ground as they would be likely to do with a traditional prosthetic. Also, a traditional prosthetic is free swinging, whereas the C-leg knows when it can swing freely and when it can not, which gives the person more security as they walk.

The C-leg is recommended for lower limb amputees under 220 pounds who have a moderate or higher functional level. The knee works on a lithium battery that lasts 25 to 30 hours.

COST: The C-leg is slightly more expensive than a more traditional prosthetic. It ranges in price from upper $30,000 to lower $40,000 dependent on the socket and the foot put with the leg.

FUTURE: Prosthetist with Hanger Prosthetics and Orthotics Harvey Sosnoff says the future is likely to have a wireless system. This would make adjusting the settings even easier than it is now. Currently, the patient has to walk while hooked up to a laptop computer by a cable. In the future, Sosnoff hopes to be able to do it wirelessly. Also, Sosnoff expects in the future the limbs will be made even lighter than they are currently.

For a list of certified practitioners using the C-leg, go to http://www.ottobockus.com/products/o..._cleg_prac.asp

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Hanger Prosthetics and Orthotics
    877-4-HANGER
    www.hanger.com

Yes that is the one.

I went to the site and read the info thanks Bufflifer!

Originally posted by Buff Lifer
    COST: The C-leg is slightly more expensive than a more traditional prosthetic. It ranges in price from upper $30,000 to lower $40,000 dependent on the socket and the foot put with the leg.
    For a mere $5,960,000 more you could go bionic.

You'd just have to get used to that annoying noise it makes...

Last edited by NoCtUrNaL; June 22nd, 2005 at 10:57 PM.
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

Damn I'am going to feel like the 6 million dollar man! This should be interesting.

I hope it can stand up to the abuse I will put it through! Last one broke when I jumped down off of a 6 foot high wall. Scared the hell out of my friend he thought I broke my leg in several places.

Re: Question?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chancellor Qu'noH
    [B] The VA says I would be a very good canadate for one but I can't find any info on the subject.

Are you service connected ???
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information