Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flood insurance for 2nd ward

The FEMA flood survey process is open to everyone who pays Flood Insurance 1st,2nd, 3rd and 4th Wards. This isn't just a 2nd ward issue it is an issue for the entire city. The step by step process needs to be done the right way or it will not get done. All the petitioning and making of resolutions in the world will not help, it has been done before for years and it failed. So please go to Assemblyman Kearns' website and start this tedious process by filling out the Flood Plain Survey.
    http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?ad=...ry&story=49014

Quote Originally Posted by jenrose66 View Post
    I believe I am giving credit where credit is due. I think it's great that multiple parties are finally working to bring attention to some real issues in Lackawanna. Mrs. Iafallo canvassed the city and received over 500 signatures asking FEMA to look into why we are still paying flood insurance. She then had the connections to get someone to pay attention to us and followed up on that. It doesn't matter how many good ideas you have, if you can't get the attention nothing will get done.

I'm not saying the surveys are not important. I took the survey and I also signed the petition. It seems like the 500 signature petition had more clout than the 76 person completed survey.

I also would not be so quick to call Annette a puppet. She is an honest public servant and I believe she has always done the best she could given the circumstances she had to work with. She truly cares about the city and is excellent with follow up. That is what we need in city hall.

Yes, Jen it is nice to see us working to resolve this important issue. As for your reference to Congressman Higgins, I've known him since the day he & the Smith boy brought me & Geri Smith pizza when we were working on the David Schwartz campaign in Joe Crangle's office. My ortho surgeon & I fought for 19 months to get approval for my knee replacement surgery which was a federal compensation case. After writing to Brian, working with Walt his aide, it took 3 weeks and the approval was finally given. They (OWCP) gave me a window of time to get it done & it was done in the summer. Yes, you are also correct that Annette has connections.

Personally elected officals are suppose to work for the people, so they should push and do all they can to get rid of flood insurance. All this seems like is who can put the notch in there belt for getting rid of it. Who cares who got 500 signatures or 76 forms filled out. Thats the problem in this city everyone is all about "ME" and what i can or what i can do! NO ONE has done ANYTHING!!! You can blow all the smoke you want but until people start to work TOGETHER will things then finally get done.

Quote Originally Posted by lackbrokejoke View Post
    Personally elected officals are suppose to work for the people, so they should push and do all they can to get rid of flood insurance. All this seems like is who can put the notch in there belt for getting rid of it. Who cares who got 500 signatures or 76 forms filled out. Thats the problem in this city everyone is all about "ME" and what i can or what i can do! NO ONE has done ANYTHING!!! You can blow all the smoke you want but until people start to work TOGETHER will things then finally get done.
    Couldn't agree with you more jack. On this one people need to work together. That includes the homeowners who pay this crazy insurance. If you look at the policies, your house has to be practically floating down the dumb street for you to collect anything! When did Lackawanna ever have a flood like that? I's a long process cause anything to do with the Feds makes you jump through hoops to discourage you. This flood insurance affects the not only the second ward but the first, and third wards, too. Do you see anyone else in the picture from those wards being included in the fight to get rid of it? If I get in, I'm not dropping this effort. Enough is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Kozak View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more jack. On this one people need to work together. That includes the homeowners who pay this crazy insurance. If you look at the policies, your house has to be practically floating down the dumb street for you to collect anything! When did Lackawanna ever have a flood like that? I's a long process cause anything to do with the Feds makes you jump through hoops to discourage you. This flood insurance affects the not only the second ward but the first, and third wards, too. Do you see anyone else in the picture from those wards being included in the fight to get rid of it? If I get in, I'm not dropping this effort. Enough is enough.
    Exactly, I worked in insurance and I know exactly what my flood insurance covers...sometimes I wish I was ignorant because I wouldn't feel so raped when I get my $600 bill every year.

Flood insurance is a scam because the government doesn't want to pay out of their own pockets to help with natural disasters. The money we pay goes to aid for hurricanes, etc...It's an unfair tax we pay because we happen to live near a creek.

When we first bought our house I looked into getting an elevation certificate. I was told that the study to see if I qualify would be between 2K and 4K AND there was no guarantee...so I dropped it...I mean in the scheme of things that 4K would have been a drop in the bucket, but if I paid that and didn't get the flood insurance requirement lifted it would have hurt to much to have known I burned that cash.

My point exactly,so why didn't Higgins have Kearns in the picture with him? You figure it out. The man has recieved hundreds of petition signatures 3 times about this issue since he has been in office. He has failed to deliver. He obviously can't do it so lets all work together to eliminate this mandated farce once and for all. The survey needs to be done regardless who is in office or what party they are from or who screwed who over....and its not going to get done if residents and homeowners do not fill out the survey.
    Last edited by bluethunder; October 28th, 2012 at 06:15 PM.

[QUOTE=Diane If I get in, I'm not dropping this effort. Enough is enough.[/QUOTE]

Nothing against you but once again my point is valid. Great quote if i get elected I'm not dropping this effort. So are you saying you won't work if you don't get it? Just another politician luckily i do not live in the 2ND ward. They have been hearing empty promises for the past 10 years. So what moves you then the 12,000 a year? What about Franklin and Center streets, what's your plan to clean those up? Again nothing personal and you owe no exclamation because I'm not a second Ward voter. best of luck to you though!

Nothing against you but once again my point is valid. Great quote if i get elected I'm not dropping this effort. So are you saying you won't work if you don't get it? Just another politician luckily i do not live in the 2ND ward. They have been hearing empty promises for the past 10 years. So what moves you then the 12,000 a year? What about Franklin and Center streets, what's your plan to clean those up? Again nothing personal and you owe no exclamation because I'm not a second Ward voter. best of luck to you though!
    No, I'm not going to drop it. But, I might have better luck & more avenues open to me if I am. No, if it was the $12,000 that moved me, I would have stopped doing things on a voluntary basis, as I have been over the years for this City & its children a long time ago. YTou should ask my opponent if that's what motivates her. Franklin and Center are a mess, it's true. I was at the Block grant hearing asking to set aside money for demolition, getting a free paint program for low income seniors who still are in the second ward so they can have paint for their porches, railings, maybe even the whole house. then I was thinking about doing something like Cheektowaga & Amherst who have youth programs with students who are in trade schools as a cheaper labor force (after we check them out of course). (Parts of the 3rd ward are eligible for federal block grants. The section off of So. Park. Parkview St., and that area I believe) Then there are vacant lots. What about a developer to do in lot building like in Buffalo? Just like you I'm tired of people sitting on their perverbial vertical smile and collecting the $$ and everything remains status quo. Bovine feces!
    P.S. even if you're not in the second ward, help yourself & fill out the survey! It's been going on longer than 10 yrs. Maybe 14, I think since Kozub was on council.

Hey Broke, the last 10 years? More like the last 40. The whole city in general has been run by democrats for past 40 years and even though they have had an unchecked majority in the last four decades in the city they can never seem to get anything accomplished.Even the county legislators have been from Lackawanna for years. Have you ever saw any of them addressing the problems here? I have seen Lynne Dixon here more,in the last 10 months then I have seen the other 2 in decades. I wonder if they will even work with her? Maybe its time to give someone else a chance and hold people accountable these guys are not cutting it.

Post Historically.......here we go again!

Wow...........

For " 23 " years I have NOT skipped a beat ........while pounding the same drum!

The POLI-TRICKS of the Lackawanna "Family and Friends" employment agency have blocked the progress for decades.......and sadly the VOTERS have let it happen because ......., "he's a nice guy; he's my neighbor; I've known them my whole life; she's helped me with a bus problem, etc., etc., etc. "!

So they did.....???!!! OK.
    BUT, you have to look at the BIG picture.........THEIR COMPENTCY! AND CREDENTIALS!

I challenge both 2nd Ward candidates to post their entire life resume on this forum.
    We need to see Education--Experience--and Employment data in order to cast an educated vote!
    Everybody votes on popularity and PARTY Endorsements......I say VOTE the person ...NOT the party!

I/WE won by 7 votes back in 2005....and beat the endorsed party family and friends club, remember?! They said people were flipping out the night they heard of the election results. I still chuckle over it.

P.S.
    Let's hope none of us need this Flood Insurance in the next week..........
    I got screamed at so much over the "surprise October 2006 " storm....that my ears are still ringing! As if I broke the Sewer Authorities Pump Station.......
    I have 40 more signatures to add to OUR case from 2008 .....ladies. I know where the ball was dropped.....and by whom too.

Post Yepper! You have hit the nail on the head!

I really like what you all posted!

So True.......sad, but true.

Keep getting the truth out......." Glory-Glory, Hallelujah"
    Keep setting the record straight from the BS that the " takers and plunderers' ", love to cloud the facts with!

"" Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord: He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored; He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword: His truth is marching on. (Chorus) Glory, glory, hallelujah! Glory, glory, hallelujah! Glory, glory, hallelujah! His truth is marching on.""

Forum followers, It does not matter who you consider God, or even if you are Agnostic.........
    TIME has proven ....over and over again, that the TRUTH will prevail. One day, somehow.

Candidates Qualifications

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    BUT, you have to look at the BIG picture.........THEIR COMPENTCY! AND CREDENTIALS!

I challenge both 2nd Ward candidates to post their entire life resume on this forum.
    We need to see Education--Experience--and Employment data in order to cast an educated vote!
    Everybody votes on popularity and PARTY Endorsements......I say VOTE the person ...NOT the party!
    First I must say I am new to this site as a friend turned me on to it and I love keyboard fodder.

Ms. Haxton,
    In response to your challenge about the two candidates credentials; I think tonight's Front Page answered that. One is a College educated former Federal employee with a background in politics and VOLUNTEERED service while the other one is a hairdresser that seems to walk alot.

Personally I think the person who is better qualified for anything in this city never stands a chance with the "Machine" against them but, good luck anyway.
    By "Machine" I mean the nepotism party. Go to any softball game or bar in the city you'll find a few of the members.

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    Wow...........

For " 23 " years I have NOT skipped a beat ........while pounding the same drum!

The POLI-TRICKS of the Lackawanna "Family and Friends" employment agency have blocked the progress for decades.......and sadly the VOTERS have let it happen because ......., "he's a nice guy; he's my neighbor; I've known them my whole life; she's helped me with a bus problem, etc., etc., etc. "!

So they did.....???!!! OK.

I/WE won by 7 votes back in 2005....and beat the endorsed party family and friends club, remember?! They said people were flipping out the night they heard of the election results. I still chuckle over it.

P.S.
    Let's hope none of us need this Flood Insurance in the next week..........
    I got screamed at so much over the "surprise October 2006 " storm....that my ears are still ringing! As if I broke the Sewer Authorities Pump Station.......
    I have 40 more signatures to add to OUR case from 2008 .....ladies. I know where the ball was dropped.....and by whom too.

This is what you requested Andrea. So this is the resume I used for the Independent Party & Republican Party endorsements that I received.
    Diane M. Kozak
    143 Elkhart Street
    Lackawanna, New York

OBJECTIVE: To receive the endorsement of the New York State Independence Party for the position of Second Ward Councilperson of the City of Lackawanna in order to represent the Independence Party as its candidate in the upcoming November, 2012 Council Election.

GENERAL BACKGROUND: Thirty years of collective experience in both Public Service and private business, exhibiting organizational ability, diplomacy and leadership capabilities in both sectors. Capable of dealing with people effectively as a member of the Lackawanna City School District Board of Education, Program Assistant for the Medical VA Care Line and in the business sector as Customer Service Representative, Background Investigator and Office Manager.

EDUCATION: Graduate, Empire State College
    (Associate of Science Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies)
    Attended Bryant & Stratton Business Institute
    (On Dean’s List for semesters attended)
    Graduate of Villa Maria Academy
    (Received both Diocesan and NYS Regents Diploma)

EMPLOYMENT: Retired Federal Employee

1987-2009 U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at
    VA Western New York Healthcare System at Buffalo
    Program Assistant for Medical VA Care Line

2000-present Consultant with National Evaluation Systems of Amherst, MA
    as an Assistant Test Administrator for the New York State Teacher Certification Exams

Wackenhut Security & Investigations
    Secretary, promoted to Assistant Background Investigator

Office Manager, Auto Radiator Sales

Erie County Clerk’s Office
    Judgment & Liens clerk

City of Lackawanna Youth Board & Bureau
    Secretary/Steno

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT:

2010 – Present President, Queen of Angels Parish Council
    President, Queen of Angels Altar & Rosary Society
    Member Queen of Angels Finance Council

2006-2008 Past Member & President St. Michael’s Parish Council
    St. Michael’s Representative – Journey In Faith & Grace

Member & contributing writer for the Centennial History Memorial publication of the City of Lackawanna Centennial.

Member & President (97-98 & 98-99) Lackawanna Board of Education

Member, Secretary of City of Lackawanna Charter Revision Committee under Mayor Staniszewski

Member, Director & Recording Secretary of the Lackawanna Area Chamber of Commerce

Religious Education Instructor – St. Michael the Archangel
    1984 Diocese of Buffalo Religious Educator of the Year

Member & President (81-82) Lackawanna Board of Education

Asst. Director Western District, NYS PTA
    Member, Secretary and President (76-78)
    Franklin Elementary PTA

Hope this enlightens some as to who I am & my capabilities.

This is insane to post a resume on here. REALLY? WHO needs to know this? The ten people who view?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by literal View Post
    This is insane to post a resume on here. REALLY? WHO needs to know this? The ten people who view?
    Dip****, Look up a few posts. Someone asked for the two people running for office to post their credentials. Also, if you've looked around here there are MANY readers who come here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information