Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about cars on Main Street?

What do you think about cars on Main Street?

What do you all think about bringing cars back on main street?

I think it is dumb, and is another step backward of a plan they did not finish in the first place.

Why drive down main street? Where are you going to go? How many parking meters/spots are they going to gain?

What a waste of money.

Sounds like a nice hunk of change you can dole out to your construction buddies.
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Banning cars on Main Street was Jimmy Griffin's biggest blunder. We've known this for a long time, and its about time we correct it. Downtown Main Street real estate values and desirability will be on the rise for sure.

How is allowing cars and trucks to drive on Main going to improve real estate values?
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

obviously real estate becomes more valuable with accessability and exposure, a lot more... obviously.

And even more so when the street just happens to cut right through the center of downtown.

Originally posted by Boost Buffalo
    obviously real estate becomes more valuable with accessability and exposure, a lot more... obviously.

And even more so when the street just happens to cut right through the center of downtown.
    People will sooner walk a two mile dirt path to the Taj Mahal then they'll drive their car on a 20 lane road paved of gold to a cesspool.

What good is it have cars on Main Street if there's no plan for "on street" parking?

If all people can do is "ride" on by, what is the difference if it's by car or 'above ground' subway?

In the 60s and 70s, pedestrian malls such as ours sprung up all over the country, and like ours most were horrible failures. Buffalo is one of the last to convert back to user friendly status by converting back to allowing cars.

As far as parking is concerned, there's never enough street parking to satisfy the need of a busy downtown. Parking ramps and surface lots are where its at.

I also support bringing cars back to main st. And who says there won't be any street parking?

Like most important questions, this one doesn't have a simple yes/no answer.

I believe returning traffic to Main Street could very well be a good idea... if, and only if, it's done correctly. The simple act of putting cars back on Main Street won't help. A well designed, sensible plan will. The easy fix approach hasn't worked so well for us in the past, so let's not even consider it this time.

Treachery made a monster out of me

The thing I don't understand is why start in the Theater District? The first construction is supposed to be in 2006 and cars will be driving down Main St in 2007... why the hell aren't we putting cars on the street down by Bass Pro? I mean, we can argue about whether or not it will be a success, but it doesn't hurt you in this case to plan like Bass Pro will be successful; the plan is to return traffic to all of Main St anyway. Putting cars on Main St down there first will also help with whatever Inner Harbor things they're (slowly) doing. Bass Pro is supposed to open in spring 2007 (I believe), so if construction in front of Bass Pro takes place in 2006, it won't affect business there at all!
    Remain calm!! But run for your lives if necessary!

Here's a link to the proposals for returning traffic to Main St. I still don't know which one they chose, but it obviously wasn't the first one (improving the pedestrian mall, no traffic on Main St.). I could like either option 2 or 4, although I don't know how well it would work to have cars share the metro rail bed.

Originally posted by crlachepinochet
    why the hell aren't we putting cars on the street down by Bass Pro?
    The Bass Pro site is already fully and beautifully accessible and exposed to car traffic, unlike the well hidden and non accessible Main Street Theater District.

Why don't you ask Shea's in they'll convert the theater to a drive-in....that way you'll never have to dislodge your keister from your car seat. Damn lazy mofo's.

"I gotta walk?!!!!" "Whaaaaaa!"

You know...as long as they're at it, I think that they should open up Delaware between North and Edward & Allen between Elmwood and Franklin during the Allentown Arts Festivel.

I mean, how is anyone supposed to know what it is if you can't drive down the middle of it.

You're right, why should we try to make things accessible at all? Clearly the people have shown that they don't care about this sort of thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information