Thread: Politics do smell in West Seneca lately.

Politics do smell in West Seneca lately.

I have been out of that political loop for a while but a friend told me about this article on a blog that taxpayers should find interesting. It may be old news to some but its new to me and i figured I would let others know whats going on. I voted for wally.
    Something fishy is going on in regards to Mickey Kearns' vacant Common Council seat. In fact, it smells worse than a two foot sucker floating along the banks of Cazenovia Creek on a hot summer day. It was first reported a few days ago, by an anonymous reader, that potential appointee Tom Sullivan may have recently purchased a house in West Seneca. This is no surprise, since the entitled lad was hired by West Seneca Town Supervisor Sheila Meegan as one of her gophers.

In fact, a quick look at West Seneca Town Board meeting minutes from January 4th, 2012, yielded this result...

Motion by Supervisor Meegan, seconded by Councilman Hart, that Thomas Sullivan be appointed as Secretary to the Supervisor at an annual salary of $43,195 as established by the 2012 budget and authorize the Supervisor to complete and sign the necessary forms for Erie County Personnel.

Councilman Hart understood that Mr. Sullivan did not live in West Seneca but would be moving to town shortly.

Supervisor Meegan stated that Mr. Sullivan was in the process of buying a home in West Seneca. She further commented that he is a grantwriter, has worked with Senator Kennedy in Albany, has a lot of experience to bring to the town.
    http://www.westseneca.net/index.php?q=node/604

Lots of experience? I think Meegan has been listening to her wackjob father for too long. With skills like his, it makes you wonder why Sullivan hasn't taken his considerable talents to the private sector. (I apologize if you're driving and I just made you spill your drink.)

He's a 24 year old political neophyte and needs to be eliminated from consideration immediately. He obviously didn't apply the first time because he either moved to West Seneca or was planning on doing so. How about appointing a guy who actually cares about the district enough to live there? If he hasn't already purchased a home in West Seneca, Sullivan needs to do so. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Trojan. Get the hell out of the Blogger's beloved neighborhood!

Sullivan, I'm told, is also on a list for the Buffalo Fire Department. Despite living in West Seneca or soon to be living in West Seneca, we all know he will be the first one called after the "South Buffalo phone call" is made. Such is life when you're a member of the entitled class. Why would we want to give a high paying city job to someone from the city?

What an insult this attempted anointing is to the 11 people who applied for the vacancy (at least to the 9 who actually live in the district.) Any Councilmember supporting Sullivan's candidacy is destined to be met with serious opposition. Talk about unmitigated gall from the entitled.

I never read anything never about Meegan in the West Seneca Bee. Does anyone know why? The editors email for the bee is kmcdowell@BeeNews.com. I am going to drop her my opinion.

Town Law § 29 (15) provides that the Supervisor:

In towns of the first class, may designate a bookkeeper or confidential secretary, or both. In towns of the second class, the town board may by resolution authorize the supervisor of the town to designate a bookkeeper or confidential secretary, or both. A person so designated by the supervisor, shall receive a reasonable compensation for his services, to be fixed by the town board and such compensation shall be a town charge.
    Also the appointment of a bookkeeper or confidential secretary to the supervisor is made by the supervisor himself and not by the Town Board. 1961 Ops St Compt #833.

So there is no application process other than what the Supervisor sees fit and the Supervisor does not need to justify the selection and appointment to the town board. Since it is established in State law if there are any changes to be made it is required to be made by the State Legislature not the Town Board.

It should also be noted that Mr. Sullivan left that position back in May and I am not aware of a replacement being named.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Dan wasn't Josefik's daughter the replacement?

Yes, you are correct. Apparently at the July 23 meeting she was transferred from being a part-time clerk to Secretary to the Supervisor. I was looking at the minutes when I replied and the July 23 minutes are not yet up.
    Last edited by dtwarren; September 6th, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

So the womans who is complaining shes overworked and makes over $90,000. for running a rec deparment that runs itself basicly, her daughter got the job now? wow

Quote Originally Posted by luv2fish View Post
    So the womans who is complaining shes overworked and makes over $90,000. for running a rec deparment that runs itself basicly, her daughter got the job now? wow
    It doesn't surprise me. What I don't understand, is why when someone gets in office, why do they feel that the taxpayers are too stupid to put two and two together and not see that this is simply a friends and family program going wild? These people don't need to have skills. As long as they are friends, what difference does it make if they can do the job or not? Ability doesn't enter into it. Once they are in, they don't have to worry about doing a good job. Sheila will take care of them. We have people on staff who work for the electrical department and are not licensed electricians! The civil service test is a joke. If you can't pass the first one, they make up another title and have you try again. If you can't pass that one, then they appoint you to the job! The best part is that they all feel entitled to whatever they can get! My advice is stay out of politics, its a dirty business.

Does anyone know what Mary Josefiaks education is? For making that kind of money I hope she has at least a Masters Degree.
    The Town should post all the qualifications for all appointed workers otherwise there is no checks and balances.With civil service jobs there are standards I hear that the county checks on. Now with these appointed jobs which all of a sudden the Town is doing these people may be way under qualified. Its just a idea. But then I'm sure it will be opposed because the public would find out way to much information the Supervisor is trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2fish View Post
    Does anyone know what Mary Josefiaks education is? For making that kind of money I hope she has at least a Masters Degree.
    The Town should post all the qualifications for all appointed workers otherwise there is no checks and balances.With civil service jobs there are standards I hear that the county checks on. Now with these appointed jobs which all of a sudden the Town is doing these people may be way under qualified. Its just a idea. But then I'm sure it will be opposed because the public would find out way to much information the Supervisor is trying to hide.
    The position is a civil service appointment. I know you said in a previous post you have been out of the loop but when Duffy, former senior director, retired probably about 6 years ago the director position was filled using the civil service exam list. Therefore she must at least have a four year degree. I do however believe it would be a great idea for the education levels of all full time employees be visible, there's been a lot of shifting of employees in past years how do we know if they're really qualified? I'd like to make sure people in the newly formed finance department at least have a four year degree in a related field, should a Building and grounds employee make 54,000 without a degree? it would be interesting to say the least to find out.

Thanks for the info. A West Seneca friend that lives close to Josefiak said she has a 2 year degree at the most if even that. I was also told she is a politcal frined to the powers to be and some people are saying something very shady is going. There saying to make $85 double overtime thats $42.50 a hour and who in the hell deserves that kind of pay. $88,000 plus overtime is unheard of and us taxpayers are paying it. We blame the supervisor and board cause they approve it all and they knew about overtime I read recently. Its who you know and I am never voting for any of them again

I think you need to find better sources of information, basic search of recreation director civil service requirements is that you maintain a four year degree, i dont know if she has political ties to any of the board members however if she does they cant be very close ones considering how much they have bashed her. If you believe it/Josefiak is such a major injustice to tax payers, start becoming involved in board meetings. This board has done nothing but back step or delay on anything that could make them politically look bad, doing us all a major injustice. Its funny how all of them ran on the forum of being anything but politics and that seems to be all they know how to do. We might not agree on the views of Josefiak or Recreation however I do agree with you on the next elections. I'd back a candidate who is more concerned with running the town ethically and efficiently rather than the current ones who are only worried about running their next campaign.

You only need to pass the civil service test, unless they set a requirement for a degree, I don't think it's always required. I know many people with degrees I wouldn't let cut my lawn. But on the other side of the coin, I know many successful people with just a high school education. Basing a persons worth on their education level is not the best benchmark.

This is not to say I condone the actions of a public servant subverting the law.

The big question is how was it not caught sooner? And, what will the TB do to correct the situation?
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

Innforme1 the thing is she failed both civil service tests for Recreation and Seniors but had political ties where the Town disregarded the provision to take the test and says they appointed her. But yet being appointed she is on a set salary with no overtime. But in May of 2012 the Town Board conformed as of May 1 2012 she had recieved 72 hours of overtime pay Then after that they allowed her to collect more which the Buffalo news wrote about where the Town paid her $85 a hour to be at a Senior Dance. And a friend at the Hall told me last night she only has a 2 year degree and is best friends with Meegan. So you can believe what you want and I will believe what I want. I do not agree in the friends and family plan in my Town.

I see what was written about Walshs salary in the othet thread. He was making that kind of money wow. And he got to take the Town Truck home and use it whenever he wanted. I complained to the Town years ago about that and nothing was never done. So besides voting I now have to attend board meetings and take off work to do so in order to police my Town? I have mailed Meegan and board members 3 Times on complaints with out a even reply. They should at least have a auto reply in place saying thank you for caring. Laughing here. Lets use some logic here. So when Josefiak gets sick both departments have no one to do the job? When she has a bad day at work both departments suffer? The Board members use the excuse oh this was already was in place when we got there. They see in may she already has OT of what 72 hours and yet thay say she can still get some more. What a joke. Thay say shes appointed because she couldnt pass either exam, pay her some outragous salary all because Walsh got it?, then overtime but yet she has no political ties? Then she wants a assistant and hire her friend another 35 grand which they did all because now the job is to much. Sounds like she won the Lottery to me. Hire and pay a Civil Service exam taker who past the exams 50 grand each and offer them no overtime. I looked at the salary thread and she makes more than mayors. And yes grass cutters should be making a hell of at lot less also. Good leadership should always look at budgets. policies and procedures with the Tax payers in mind. This is another example of passing the buck and reacting to a red flag which came up. I will never vote for them.

Thread Information