Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taxpayers better keep your eyes open.

Taxpayers better keep your eyes open.

I worked years ago in the recreation department for a bit for Paul and its hard to believe that combination of jobs pays so much. Its on the crazy side to say the least.For the rec department If you go on the website they got now and just click on the links for different sports and activities and you'll find out who runs it. I'm surprised in times being so tough they just don't hire a seasonal and pay them 12 bucks a hour to do the work. The Parks department has to do the field grooming, scheduling and maintenance not the Recreation Dir. That position is just a glorified political appointment job now. The Senior job I never worked but there not children and has to be even easier than the recreation. Post that recreation senior position now for $35,000 and I bet you get people with masters degrees applying for it. Its really BS in my opinion but Im just a taxpayer . Its all politics on a very Grand scale to say the least. Taxpayers better open their eyes because it will only get worse.

It is high time to end the foolishness of local village and town governments in NY. The constant abuse by locals has made it imperative.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

I just heard from a family member that lives in Orchard Park and they are very involved in the community that the Senior Director in Orchard park makes about $50,000 and the Recreation Director there makes about $68,000. That is there salary and they don't get any overtime and they both work beyond their 40 hour work week and attend and oversee everything in there departments. The family just moved from West Seneca 2 years ago.I'm told Both OP Directors great workers and they have such great programming compared to West Senecas. Also both people have 4 year degrees with great qualifications. Why you would W Seneca pay one worker over $90,00 plus with overtime, then hire a assistant for her because shes complaining. Then your like giving that assistant another $34,000 and your still paying both of them benefits. I though that was their whole argument to begin with by saving money so you don't have to pay benefits? Thats what I read in the Bee.This just seems so less cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2fish View Post
    I just heard from a family member that lives in Orchard Park and they are very involved in the community that the Senior Director in Orchard park makes about $50,000 and the Recreation Director there makes about $68,000. That is there salary and they don't get any overtime and they both work beyond their 40 hour work week and attend and oversee everything in there departments. The family just moved from West Seneca 2 years ago.I'm told Both OP Directors great workers and they have such great programming compared to West Senecas. Also both people have 4 year degrees with great qualifications. Why you would W Seneca pay one worker over $90,00 plus with overtime, then hire a assistant for her because shes complaining. Then your like giving that assistant another $34,000 and your still paying both of them benefits. I though that was their whole argument to begin with by saving money so you don't have to pay benefits? Thats what I read in the Bee.This just seems so less cost effective.
    Quoted from the 2012 Town of Orchard Park Budget

Recreation Department - Playgrounds

Personal Services
    Recreation Director A.7020.100 68,190
    Assistant Recreation Director A.7020.111 46,841
    Clerical - Part-time A.7020.137 15,210
    Other Recreation Personnel A.7020.149 200,000 330,241

Senior Citizens Program
    Personal Services
    Senior Director A.7610.100 51,519
    Senior Center Staff (Part Time) A.7610.139 28,348
    Senior Center Staff (Part Time) A.7610.149 1,300 81,167

Youth Board
    Personal Services Director A.7310.100 16,277

Taken from the 2012 Adopted West Seneca Budget
    Youth & Recreation 2011 2012
    Salary of Director 1.7140.0100 72,137 -
    Salary of Clerical - Part Time 16,420 16,420
    Salary of Other Employees - Part Time 70,000 70,000
    Senior Citizens
    Program Director (1) 1.7620.0100 60,208 83,796
    Clerks - Part Time 1.7620.0139 21,679 21,679
    Drivers, Instructors & Food Service Employee 110,000 115,000

I wouldn't make my argument over hear say before checking a budget. I dont understand your argument? Yes does the orchard park offer their residents great programs, of course. Any one who actually attends board meetings and listens in on work sessions knoww that is exactly what Josefiak, with her four year degree and civil service exam, is fighting for. She wants to offer more just can't. Look at Orchard Parks part time recreation employee budget, its close to three times greater than West Senecas. They have three full time staff where West Seneca has one, they also have a paid youth member where West Seneca does not. Also if you notice the Orchard Park Senior Center does not offer a van service or daily lunch program, therefore their director oversees less and supervises less staff. The same concept and setup can be found at any other town. I would love for there to be more programs for my children in this town, however I am realistic in knowing the reason why, this consolidation didnt help tax payers, it hurt us. Where are my savings? All I have seemed to acquire is less services. Also Bob Walsh, the former director, not Paul made $76,000 before retiring overseeing only two departments unlike josefiak whom is overseeing three. And you must not have worked very long or been very involved in the rec department because the town does not have a parks department. You will find that if you want to rent ice time, fields or diamonds you must contact the recreation department for they handle all the scheduling, being an involved member of many sports associations in town I understand the demands the rec department must meet and how much they assist in our everyday happenings. Associations are always looking for volunteers perhaps you should join.

So its ok she make that kind of money? It was ok for your friend Bob to make that kind of money? What are you getting at LOL? Then you wonder why our taxes are high. Also Orchard Park Quaker splash I hear generated a lot of money that goes back into the Recreation Department.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2fish View Post
    So its ok she make that kind of money? It was ok for your friend Bob to make that kind of money? What are you getting at LOL? Then you wonder why our taxes are high. Also Orchard Park Quaker splash I hear generated a lot of money that goes back into the Recreation Department.
    Do you know how much our recreation department has created in revenue? Would you like West Seneca to build a green lake and create a splash park?? If your going to compare West Seneca salaries to other salaries a.k.a Orchard Park you should at least look into what you're comparing. My point, which you've clearly missed, is that other town's youth, recreation and senior budgets are larger than west senecas, so when someone such as yourself argues to compare it to other towns, then shouldnt it be argued that if we have less why are our taxes not less? Why is the salary of one director whose salary is comparable less to every town around us be the subject of an argument instead of the real issue, where are my savings?? In three years the youth recreation department has lost three full time positions all of whom had benefits. The position of youth director, Mark Lazzara, recreation director Bob Walsh and a full time clerk. Can someone show me where the decrease in my taxes are? Instead other neighboring towns have similar taxes and they still have more staff and more programs for their adults and youth. The town keeps saying their saving us money when really their just cutting services and absorbing the money into other areas. I can not argue their salaries nor would I, but I dont believe that recreation is the only salary that should be argued when their our people in town who make 28.00/hr to mow lawns.

So Walsh made that kind of money also what a joke. I used to call the Town Hall all the time asking why he gets to take a Town Truck home everyday. He would take his 2 hour lunches in plain view. Nothing was ever done he did what he wanted.

I just read the West Seneca Bee and there was a comment in the Bee Heard stating the Supervisor purchased an IPad for her self out of the Police Departments budget. Dan Warren can you confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by rumor4wny View Post
    I just read the West Seneca Bee and there was a comment in the Bee Heard stating the Supervisor purchased an IPad for her self out of the Police Departments budget. Dan Warren can you confirm?
    Does anyone have confirmation of this purchase? Something smells here and we need to find out if this is for real.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Before making a stink about the Ipad shouldn't you first see how it will be used?

If the use is justified what is the issue?

haha it is only $500 - way bigger fish to fry folks.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

What's wrong with an ordinary phone? Department heads have been using them from day one and they have always worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by truth seeker View Post
    What's wrong with an ordinary phone? Department heads have been using them from day one and they have always worked just fine.
    Ipad is not a phone although you can get one with 3g.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by truth seeker View Post
    I think a phone if just fine... but once again justify the use and maybe you might see some value from it. I don't know what the actual duties of a Town Supervisor and how an Ipad would compliment those duties. Why doesn't someone just ask.

She'll be able to keep track of party fund raisers... ribbon cuttings...which friends and family might need a job..etc etc.. Could save her loads of time

I know what the salary is and if I was supervisor I would just personally purchase one. I'm pretty sure more than just town "business" will be used on the ipad.

Bad policies, stupid policies, gutless policies have real consequences

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information