Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emerald City Of The Great Lakes! My Favorite New Charity For Buffalo Neighborhood

moadib

Emerald City Of The Great Lakes! My Favorite New Charity For Buffalo Neighborhood

EMERALD CITY OF THE GREAT LAKES! MY FAVORITE NEW CHARITY FOR BUFFALO NEIGHBORHOOD

WELL SEATTLE IS THE EMERALD CITY OF THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST AND WEST COAST

ATLANTA LIKES TO CONSIDER ITSELF THE EMERALD CITY OF THE SOUTHEAST AND EAST COAST

WHY CANT BUFFALO BE THE EMERALD CITY OF THE GREAT LAKES?

BOTH CITIES HAVE CHARITIES THAT PLANT TREES ALONG CITY STREETS VIA LOCAL VOLUNTEERS, DONATIONS FROM THE COMMUNITY AND CITY. WHY NOT BUFFALO?

THERE ARE DISEASE RESISTANT ELMS, WHY NOT BRING THEM BACK TO BUFFALO.

WHY NOT LINE ELM STREET WITH ELMS?

WHY NOT LINE OAK STREET WITH OAKS?

WHY NOT FILL THE FRUIT BELT WITH FLOWERING & FRAGRANT CRABAPPLES, FLOWERING CHERRIES AND FLOWERING PEACHES, ETC.

I HAVE VAGUE MEMORIES OF THE CATHEDRAL LIKE ARCHES EMBRACING BUFFALO'S GRACEFULL STREETS BEFORE THEY WERE CUT DOWN...IMAGING HOW BEATIFUL IT WOULD BE IF WE STARTED A GREENERY CAMPAIGN FOR BUFFALO AND ASKED EVERYONE TO PLANT A TREE IN FRONT OF THEIR BUSINESS AND RESIDENCE.

IMAGINE HOW BEAUTIFUL IT WOULD BE IF WE HAD VOLUNTEERS TO PLANT TREES IN FRONT OF ALL THOSE EMPTY LOTS, SO EVERY STREET IN BUFFALO WAS VERDENT GREEN.

NOW THIS IS AN INEXPENSIVE CAUSE WITH A GREAT IMPACT ON LIVABILITY AND BEAUTY.

This is happening on the West Side.

The West Side Community Collaborative has a program called the Greening Initiative which has already re-treed Connecticut Street and Massachusetts Avenue. They've also planted trees on sections of Linwood Avenue and the area surrounding Millard Fillmore Hospital. They are currently working on Rhode Island Street and Vermont Street is next on the list. In addition, they've built five community gardens. Just this month they've planted 35 trees. Awesome stuff!

The Greening Initiative just won a $25,000 grant and is working on raising matching funds, in-kind donations and labor. There's a fundraiser this Saturday at First Presbyterian Church on Symphony Circle from 6:00 - 11:00 p.m. for anyone interested in supporting the effort.

Another exciting project is a co-op nursery planned for the West Side but I don't know too many details about that one. I'll try to find out more from the people involved.

Treachery made a monster out of me

moadib

I think thats GREAT! ANY THOUGHTS ON SIMILAR PROGRAMS STARTED ON THE EAST & SOUTHSID

I think thats GREAT! ANY THOUGHTS ON SIMILAR PROGRAMS STARTED ON THE EAST & SOUTHSIDES?

The West Side has always been the leader for Buffalo because it has the most intact neighborhoods, thanks to the elmwood strip, delaware park, the colleges and culturals.

WITH ALL THE EFFORTS TO REVITALIZE BROADWAY AND SOUTH PARK / ABBOTT....THE GREENING PROGRAM WOULD BE GREAT FOR THOSE AREAS.

IS THERE ANYONE INVOLVED IN THE WESTSIDE PROGRAM WITH FRIENDS OR RELATIVES ON THE EAST OR SOUTH SIDES THAT MIGHT WANT TO CHAMPION A SIMILAR EFFORT FOR THEIR NEIGHBORHOODS AND COMMUNITIES?

I JUST THINK THIS IS FANTASTIC AND SOMETHING THAT THE ENTIRE CITY NEEDS TO BE INVOLVED IN...ITS A REAL SIGN OF CIVIC PRIDE!

PS: I HOPE THAT YOUR PLANTING A WIDE VARIETY OF TREES. TALL CATHEDRAL LIKE ELMS, FRAGRANT LINDENS, FLOWERING YELLOW WOODS, DECORATIVE BERRY PRODUCING ASHES, EVEN THE LONG FORGOTTEN MULBERRY, CHESTNUT, OAK, LOCUST, ETC.

IM NOT A BIG FAN OF MAPLES BECAUSE THEY ARE SO COMMON, BUT IF THEY WERE USED...I HOPE THE MAPLE VARIETIES ARE BEING VARIED, TOO, FROM THE DARK BLACK MAPLE TO THE STRIATED NORWEGIAN MAPLE.

Berry producing trees are great for the local bird population and boy would it be great to see more of our local birds come back, It would be great to get the yellow finches, red cardinals and bluejays back....I KNOW THAT THESE TREES ARE MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE GENERIC MAPLE BUT THAT DIVERSITY IS INSURANCE AGAINST ANOTHER TREE DISEASE OR INFESTATION, AS WELL AS, CREATING AN INTERESTING ALL SEASON VISTA FOR OUR COMMUNITY AND VITAL FOOD FOR OUR LOCAL BIRDS.

WHICH MAKES ME THINK OF SOMETHING.....

COULD YOU ALSO PUT IN A WORD TO THE VOLUNTEERS TO PUT EAGLE PERCHES & OWL HOUSES IN YARDS OR PARKS? EAGLES AND OWLS WOULD DO A GREAT JOB OF GETTING RID OF OUR MICE, VOLES AND RODENTS WHICH HAVE BEEN INCREASING IN POPULATION LATELY ALONG WITH THEIR OTHER BIRD FEADERS AND BIRD HOUSES.

I know they're planting at least four or five different varieties of trees but I don't know what those varieties are exactly. I'll try to find out more.

The West Side organization has been planning and planting for about four years, and they've just recently teamed up with Kevin Cunningham who has been raising money and planting trees on his own for years. His goal is to return Buffalo to the days when it was the tree city, and while I can't speak for him I'll bet he'd be interested in an East side project.

Ok, here's the skinny on the trees:

Varieties planted so far include:

Northern Red Oaks
    Hybrid Frontier Elms
    Japanese Zelkova
    Ruby Red Horsechestnut

I don't know if this is a complete list but I know for sure that these varieties have been planted. Some trees are purchased and others donated, so that's probably a factor too.

I'll pass along your berry/perch ideas... they're great!

They planted flowering cherry trees along Crescent Avenue and it looks like some are dying. They must have a shorter, 30 year life span. But that street sure looks nice that time of year.

The East Side was part of the replanting 30 years ago. You can even see where the money ran out: in 1977 on Rodney Avenue off of Fillmore. Part of it is shaded; most of it is blazing hot and sunny in August. What a difference trees make.

They also planted flowering trees on Jewett Avenue or Victoria. Beautiful trees this time of year, surrounded by many abandoned homes.

BTW-Trees are generally about 30 years in Parkside and their roots are now starting to raise the sidewalks. That must have been a huge problem when the elms were towering overhead, but I've never heard of it.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

moadib

The elms that existed before elm disease were 100 years old

The elms that existed before elm disease were 100 years old. They were gorgeous....because they turned every street into a cathedral as the limbs arched over the street and met the branches from the trees planted on the other side creating a canapy.

Yes, they were notorious for lifting sidewalks and interfering with sewers, water lines...etc. I never thought of it until now but it wasnt long after those trees were cut down that Buffalo neighborhoods lost their majestic beauty and people started moving to the suburbs....I WONDER IF THE LOSS OF SUCH BEAUTY MADE THE CITY LESS ENTICING TO STAY!

YES, PLEASE ASK THEM TO LOOK INTO:
    -SYCAMORES, ESPECIALLY ON SYCAMORE STREET (HEHE)
    -LINDENS AND GINGKOS ARE VERY FRAGRANT IN THE SUMMER & ARE VERY HARDY URBAN TREES
    -ASHES
    -LOCUSTS
    -AND MANY OTHERS.

Since when did you guys become arborists?

Yes, we can become authorities on almost anything in these forums!

(this is tongue in cheek guys, just trying to be funny!)
    "...give me Liberty or give me a beer and I'll think about it awhile..."

Re: I think thats GREAT! ANY THOUGHTS ON SIMILAR PROGRAMS STARTED ON THE EAST & SOUTHSID

Originally posted by moadib
    COULD YOU ALSO PUT IN A WORD TO THE VOLUNTEERS TO PUT EAGLE PERCHES & OWL HOUSES IN YARDS OR PARKS? EAGLES AND OWLS WOULD DO A GREAT JOB OF GETTING RID OF OUR MICE, VOLES AND RODENTS WHICH HAVE BEEN INCREASING IN POPULATION LATELY ALONG WITH THEIR OTHER BIRD FEADERS AND BIRD HOUSES.
    I refuse to allow my tax money to support even more PATRONAGE jobs. If these Eagles and Owls are truly qualified to eat city mice, then they can apply for the job like every other bird has to. Giving them free rent is a slap in the beak to all local hardworking Robins forced to build their own nests without government handouts or luxury condo bird houses for well-connected fowl.

Last edited by 300miles; May 19th, 2005 at 03:24 PM.

Re: Re: I think thats GREAT! ANY THOUGHTS ON SIMILAR PROGRAMS STARTED ON THE EAST & SOUTHSID

Originally posted by 300miles
    I refuse to allow my tax money to support even more PATRONAGE jobs. If these Eagles and Owls are truly qualified to eat city mice, then they can apply for the job like every other bird has to. Giving them free rent is a slap in the beak to all local hardworking Robins forced to build their own nests without government handouts or luxury condo bird houses for well-connected fowl.
    Oh, now, this is good!
    "...give me Liberty or give me a beer and I'll think about it awhile..."

300 miles

You are on to something here.

I think the Bluebird is the state bird for New York.

Like anything befriended by the gov, it's been perverted.

Do you know they only nest in boxes four feet off the ground? That these boxes by the thousands are up in NYS parks.

So, they're totally dependent on welfare.

Now here's the real dirty secret. Starlings quickly take over the boxes. So birders who love bluebirds go around in the Spring and kill the starling babies.

Wow-murder and welfare in one program.

Damn birds.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

moadib

Well, I was very amused by the sarcasm & humor, but lets discuss greening our city

Well, I was very amused by the sarcasm & humor, but lets discuss greening our city PLEASE

I THINK WE WERE LAST TALKING ABOUT TYPES OF TREES BEING PLANTED

WAYS TO INCREASE BIRD POPULATION AND REDUCE RODENT POPULATION

WAYS TO START UP PROGRAMS GREENERY PROGRAMS ON THE EAST AND SOUTH SIDES.

COME ON GUYS AND GALS, THIS IS A VERY SMALL WAY TO MAKE OUR CITY LOOK GREEN VERDANT AND BEAUTIFUL AGAIN.

moadib

NOW THIS REALLY MAKES ME VERY ANGRY! BUFFALO CANT EVEN LEAD IN TREES!

NOW THIS REALLY MAKES ME VERY ANGRY! BUFFALO CANT EVEN LEAD IN TREES!

American Forests, which conducted the survey, found that all five cities fell below the recommended 40 percent tree cover totals in the East. Existing totals ranged from 11.4 percent in Buffalo to 37 percent in Binghamton. Tree cover in the other three cities totaled in the 20 percent range-23.9 percent for Rochester, 24 percent for Poughkeepsie, and 26.7 percent for Syracuse.

BUFFALO IS THE LEAST GREEN CITY OF ALL THE CITIES IN UPSTATE WITH ALL THE OTHER CITIES 2X - 3X MORE TREES!

WHATS WITH OUR GREAT CITY ANYWAY?

WE CANT GET OUT OF THE HOLE FINANCIALLY?
    WE CANT GET OUT OF THE HOLE OF DECLINING POPULATION?
    WE CANT GET OUT OF THE HOLE OF JOB CREATION?
    WE ARE EVEN STRUGGLING WITH INFILL DEVELOPMENT (judging by the anti-development crusades at CEDAR)

I THOUGHT FOR SURE THAT GREENING BUFFALO WITH TREES WOULD BE A COMMUNITY EFFORT THAT EVERYONE COULD EMBRACE...JUST PLANT A TREE...AND IT SEEMS WE CANT EVEN GET PEOPLE TO DO THAT!

PEOPLE OF BUFFALO .... PLANT A DARN TREE...DONT MAKE THIS YET ANOTHER STATISTIC WHERE BUFFALO COMES IN LAST YET AGAIN!

Those are percentages, and Buffalo is the biggest city in the list. So I'm sure it's much easier and cheaper for Poughkeepsie to maintain 24% trees than it is for Buffalo. Also Buffalo had more industry than those other cities. Steel plants and grain silos usually aren't very big on trees. I bet if they only looked at residential areas buffalo may be comparable

Also, people cannot just "go out and plant a tree" in all parts of the city. The areas downtown are mostly rentals and only the city can really plant down there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information