Thread: Democratic Endorsement

Democratic Endorsement

Today Paul Sullivan spoke out on many news channels that he was never given the opportunity to speak at the Democratic Endorsement Meeting for District 2.

Was anyone there, and does anyone know anything about this? From what I understand... while the overwhelming majority of support went to Kennedy, a lady from Lovejoy and someone else spoke up for Sullivan. Why wasn't he at the committee meeting? Additionally, he was invited to speak at the April committee meeting in Cheektowaga along with many other candidates... and he didn't bother to show up.

I am just curious as to what the story is on all of that... He was on every channel today speaking out against the EC Dems, yet to my knowlege he blew off the Cheektowaga nominations, and even had someone speakup for him at the So. Buffalo ones... yet he didn't show up at either.

I understand if this is all part of him being an "independent democrat"... but if he doesn't want the support of the EC and Cheektowaga Democratic committees, why is he complaining about all of this?

Nice bait reformWNY, but I'm not biting.

I really wonder who you are, you speak more about someone who just has parents living in the district.

Nightowl.

Nightowl....

I wasn't baiting you at all. I actually have tremendous respect for you and most of your opinion on these boards... I think you've seen that in just about every place other than these District 2 boards... but on District 2, you and I tend to differ. It's become blatantly obvious that I am a Kennedy supporter, just as you have shown your Sullivan support proudly. Nothing wrong with any of that... that's what these boards are for, right?

I apologize if it looked like I was baiting anyone... you specifically.

But I am curious as to why people spoke out, but Paul didn't come to both South Buffalo and Cheektowaga... His concern over not getting respect from the Dem Committee doesn't jibe with his claims of being an independent democrat. I wrote that post immediately after seeing that news run last night... because it doesnt' make sense to me to see someone speak up and down about being "independent" and then complaining because the major committees of the district didnt' throw him a party.

At the very least, these boards have gotten some good stuff out for debate all over the place... and I dont' see anything wrong with any of it.

As far as who I am... rest assured I'm a political nobody. Chances are you're more likely to see me hammering a sign into someone's lawn then getting up on a pulpit or pitching for any public office. Just a concerned citizen with a vested interest. At this point in time with WNY's political climate I am very glad i'm not more than that.

You mentioned before that you're not from this area, I was just wondering on the interest you have with these two candidates when (if you're not in the district) you can't vote for either one of them.

It's your opinion/prerogative to post in the 2nd District forum, I was just wondering, that's all.

It's become blatantly obvious that I am a Kennedy supporter, just as you have shown your Sullivan support proudly. Nothing wrong with any of that... that's what these boards are for, right?

I have point out many different things in this forum that would seem to Kennedy's advantage as with Sullivan. I have not clearly & openly stated which candidate I support - nor will I.

If there is any truth to this story, I would have to say that (AND speaking clearly of my own opinion, I am not reply on behalf of Sullivan) Kennedy already has the endorsement of the Party, so how much sense would it make to go to something where it's all tied up to supporting an opponent?

The Party gave the nod to Kennedy to take over when Schroeder moved up to the State level, and we all know that the Party doesn't take to endorsing a "new comer" without the political machine behind them.

Perhaps that was the point Sullivan decided that he was going to run an "independent" campaign.

Nightowl, you said: "Kennedy already has the endorsement of the Party, so how much sense would it make to go to something where it's all tied up to supporting an opponent?"
    ...I understand your point and what you're saying, but if Kennedy already had the nod, and Sullivan wanted to be independent, why make a big stink on TV about him not getting support from the democratic party when he chose not to show up to either thing. It really came off to me like a kid making a big deal about not trying out for the football team, then being mad because they didnt' let him on the field. I agreee with you... how much sense would it make going to something that is already decided... but at the same time, if you're going to say "I dont' want their support" you can't complain when you don't get it.

And as far as my interest... I grew up in the district, I have been in this district for almost all of my life, and only recently will I no longer be from the district... I am still very involved in the Cheektowaga portion of this area, and still hold quite a bit of concern for it. It's my roots, I guess you could say. Does that make any more sense?

Thanks for the reply.

Okay, not I guess I can answer spefically.

Paul Sullivan was not invited by the Party as a Democrat running for office and that is why he was not there. - Yes, he said that.

IMO- So, even if he would have went, he would probably have been denied access by his own Party.

but at the same time, if you're going to say "I dont' want their support" you can't complain when you don't get it.
    IMO- No, but he can complain that he was pretty much locked out (not invited) by his own Party, even if he would have declined the invitation... he, as a DEM was not asked to attend a Democratic funtion and that is what he is complaining about.

endorsement

In case anyone is wondering or even cares: I am not seeking any endorsement from the Democrats. I feel to be a true "Independent Democrat", is to answer to your constituents, not Len Lenihan.
    I am a Democrat, but I do not want to have to owe anyone any favors, or any votes, etc just because they endorsed me.
    Honestly, I think it can only help Sullivan that he didn't receive the endorsement. But the fact that he pursued them for the endorsement concerns me.
    I chuckled when they interviewed Lenihan on the news last night. He stated "the people voted for Kennedy, thats who they want and that's who we will endorse" When did we vote for Kennedy? I find it scary that the Democratic chairman doesn't even know that the person he just endorsed for District 2 legislature was appointed, not elected!

Sincerely,
    Joe Gartler

Honestly, I think it can only help Sullivan that he didn't receive the endorsement. But the fact that he pursued them for the endorsement concerns me.

I know this for sure, Sullivan did not persue the Party for their endorsement.

He would have refused the endorsement, but IMO- went to the news on this story based on the principle of how the Party has selected a specific candidate, and neglected to invite other Democrats running for office. I think he wanted to ruffle a few feathers in the Party.

When did we vote for Kennedy? I find it scary that the Democratic chairman doesn't even know that the person he just endorsed for District 2 legislature was appointed, not elected!

I thought the same thing too.

Thread Information