Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Proposition to increase the number of councilmen

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    It does not matter whether it is 1 or 10001 because that can't be changed by staying with a 3 member board.
    True but the blood letting can be slowed.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by WS Mom View Post
    Yep, and we will all have to live with the consequences. Let's talk again in three or four years. See how the three-person board is working then.

By the way, I have noticed how the West Seneca initiative and Kevin Gaughan really got the ball rolling for the downsizing of other Town Boards and for the advancement of "Regionalism" in WNY. Other Towns really jumped on that band wagon. We stepped over a dollar to save a dime. Woo hoo for us.
    Not true, if people would stop fighting this it would be a very good thing for Western New York in the long run, but pocketbooks in the short run matter more to too many people & politicians.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Time will tell. Two councilmembers is two too few to properly govern a town of 45,000+.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Time will tell. Two councilmembers is two too few to properly govern a town of 45,000+.
    I agree with this. I think 1 supervisor 4 council people seems fine. You can easily get two simple minded people on board while the third devious one leads them around. At least with 5 you have a better chance of not allowing that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I agree with this. I think 1 supervisor 4 council people seems fine. You can easily get two simple minded people on board while the third devious one leads them around. At least with 5 you have a better chance of not allowing that to happen.
    Your premise though Res leads to the real problem with society today on rural America.... How the two "simple" minded got elected.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Your premise though Res leads to the real problem with society today on rural America.... How the two "simple" minded got elected.
    Because it is a popularity contest....

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Because it is a popularity contest....
    It is a dog eat dog, who has most connections contest, many times - sad and true.

Yep, and we will all have to live with the consequences. Let's talk again in three or four years. See how the three-person board is working then.

By the way, I have noticed how the West Seneca initiative and Kevin Gaughan really got the ball rolling for the downsizing of other Town Boards and for the advancement of "Regionalism" in WNY. Other Towns really jumped on that band wagon. We stepped over a dollar to save a dime. Woo hoo for us.
    Has West Seneca voters learned yet that a 3 member board is not working in their interests yet like the Voters in Hamburg?

The upsizing proposition passed 53 to 47 percent with all ballots counted, the first town to reverse the downsizing efforts that were approved in Hamburg in 2009 and became effective three years ago.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...board-20151103
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

From: http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...-vote-20151105

Some think other towns that have downsized their boards might follow Hamburg. “I think now that Hamburg wins by this margin, I think what you’ll find is a town like Orchard Park comes next,” said Erie County Conservative Chairman Ralph C. Lorigo.

He noted that the vote to downsize was in a special election with a lower turnout than the general election.

Orchard Park Town Board members talked about it the day after the Hamburg vote, and did not rule out a similar vote in their town. Supervisor Patrick Keem said he thought Hamburg could be an example to Orchard Park residents.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information