Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Almost 8 months into Mayor Szymanski's term

Quote Originally Posted by getalife123 View Post
    I may be wrong though but this flood insurance issue stays in effect as long as you have a mortage. Once our mortage was paid off we no longer had to carry flood insurance.
    It is very difficult to sell a house in the second ward if the buyer needs a mortgage because of the flood insurance rule. Sure hope that changes soon....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Has that area ever flooded in the past? At least the last 100 years I guess?
    They use the 100 year flood rule but don't take into account the widening of Smokes Creek.

If Higgins lived in Lackawanna the requirement would be gone.

Has that area ever flooded in the past? At least the last 100 years I guess?
    It must have, but I swear I recall my grandpa talking about how the army corps of engineers came and made some changes or whatever that fixed the problem.

Even during terrible rain storms and sudden thaws the creek near my house has never even come close to overflowing.

Quote Originally Posted by jenrose66 View Post
    It must have, but I swear I recall my grandpa talking about how the army corps of engineers came and made some changes or whatever that fixed the problem.

Even during terrible rain storms and sudden thaws the creek near my house has never even come close to overflowing.
    It did flood way back 52 years ago. I remember the water filled my whole basement right to the top step to the hallway upstairs. My relatives on Colton (north side of creek) had to be taken from their house by canoe. Their whole basement flooded as well. After that the army corps of engineers blasted the creek giving it width and depth and I have seen it very high but never overflow again since then.....

When I sold my home on Peach my home sold fast but the actual deal almost did not happen because of the cost of the flood insurance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How much is flood insurance?

How much is flood insurance?
    It varies depending on your location. Mine is $600 a year...when I started paying it 8 years ago is was $575. I was also told I could try to get a flood insurance certificate or something like that, where I would hire at my own expense someone from fema to study my property to decide if I really needed the insurance...but from my understanding it was at least 2k just to get started with no guarantee that the results would go my way...I mean really, 2k is less than 4 years of flood insurance premiums...but it's a lot of money to just throw away too.

Post More to story behind these BIG bucks................

Quote Originally Posted by jenrose66 View Post
    It varies depending on your location. Mine is $600 a year...when I started paying it 8 years ago is was $575. I was also told I could try to get a flood insurance certificate or something like that, where I would hire at my own expense someone from fema to study my property to decide if I really needed the insurance...but from my understanding it was at least 2k just to get started with no guarantee that the results would go my way...I mean really, 2k is less than 4 years of flood insurance premiums...but it's a lot of money to just throw away too.
    Tecumseh worked hard the last 3, 4, 5 years or so to DIG open the mouth of Smokes Creek to open er' up..........
    Lake Erie tide as you know, sand-sludge-rocks-logs, whatever, over the years clogged/closed jammed it,etc.

We went to a meeting a few years back with the DEC at the LA SR. CTR. and they explained all this but said the newly written Flood Plain Maps will NOT be considered by FEMA at all. Also one of the Code guys in LA has something to do with it..........
    Ridiculous!
    Seems to me that this is now another Higgins--Kearns--Szymanski--Council HIGH priority battle with FEMA in Washington.
    They are still paying for Katrina and need our monies to pony up to the slush fund. Shame.

POWER to the People! And it is time to take it to the streets!
    My Flood Insurance in the 1ST WARD....is $150.00/year for $10,000 for a roof I put on and had to have.

Our flood insurance premium is $600 a year on Madison...and we've been paying that for a long time now....

Post This has been going on for far too long.....

Quote Originally Posted by bethpark12 View Post
    Our flood insurance premium is $600 a year on Madison...and we've been paying that for a long time now....
    Money that could be used to put in your gas tank, food on your table, to buy you a warmer winter coat, or put on your gas bill, etc.
    The Federal government and FEMA have enough money if they spent OUR money prudently....FEMA is a HUGE bureaucracy and does not care where their tentacle's reach to get fed. Sad.
    If Pendleton can do it........Why NOT Lackawanna?

Pendleton plans to revise map of floodplain

By Ryan Wolf
    NIAGARA CORRESPONDENT
    Published:August 5, 2012, 12:12 AM

PENDLETON - For some town residents forced to pay high costs for flood insurance, relief may be on the way.

After years of research, the town is prepared to submit a revised working map of floodplain information to the Federal Emergency Management Agency. If the new model is approved by FEMA and accepted following a public hearing, some property owners could save $800 to $1,000 per year, town officials said.

Town Engineer David Britton said the proposed model will "give people an opportunity to get their houses out of the floodplain so they will not have to get flood insurance."

Many residents who live along Tonawanda Creek are required to purchase flood insurance because of flood elevation standards set by FEMA. Residents and town officials, however, have contended that because of the flow of the creek into the Erie Canal, FEMA's flooding scenario is unlikely.

So, the current model used to determine who has to purchase flood insurance may soon be replaced.

Supervisor James Riester said the proposed model to be submitted to FEMA covers an area bordered roughly by Niagara Falls Boulevard, Transit Road and Tonawanda Creek. The new guidelines would reduce base flood elevation on certain properties by as much as 7 to 8 inches, he said.

Buildings with floors below that minimum must be insured for potential flooding. By lowering the base level, however, the number of homeowners requiring flood insurance would be reduced.

Britton said he feels "confident that the work done by the town will be successful."

Once the model is reviewed and the revised map updated and adopted, a six-month period of public discussion will take place prior to implementation. If all goes well, homeowners could see the change as early as next spring.

Refunds could also be available for insurance payments made within the year if the model is approved. Residents would be notified if there is a change in their flood insurance status.

FEMA is expected to respond to the proposal within 30 days of submission. Britton said the new guideline is expected to be accepted, though there "may be minor tweaks."

*****Again,....If Pendleton can do it......why can't Lackawanna?

Maybe cuz it's a lot of work and there's not any job creation in it?

Post Keen insight!

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
    Maybe cuz it's a lot of work and there's not any job creation in it?
    You might just be onto something......it is a massive undertaking.

But aren't " WE " worth it?
    No wonder Hamburg had an appr. 400% growth in population and Orchard Park had over 600!
    LA lost 1000 people according to the 2010 Census......go figure.

P.S. The news is just commenting that Gowanda has NOT received $1 mil in clean-up costs from FEMA.
    FEMA needs a forensic financial audit just like that other government agency playing with those go-go girls!

People Power!

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    You might just be onto something......it is a massive undertaking.

But aren't " WE " worth it?
    No wonder Hamburg had an appr. 400% growth in population and Orchard Park had over 600!
    LA lost 1000 people according to the 2010 Census......go figure.

P.S. The news is just commenting that Gowanda has NOT received $1 mil in clean-up costs from FEMA.
    FEMA needs a forensic financial audit just like that other government agency playing with those go-go girls!

People Power!

Guess who the current federal representative for Gowanda is? Rep. Brian " South Buffalo Waterfront" Higgins!!! The sheep follow this guy because of the waterfront and probably now because of him and Chuck E. Cheese Schumer's photo ops with "SAVE the BILLS." That's right Brian fix up the South Buffalo waterfront and save the Bills and screw the hardworking homeowners of Gowanda and Lackawanna when it comes to FEMA. Where the hell have you been Councilman Higgins? I'm sorry I mean Representative Higgins. YOU work for more than South Buffalo don't you ???Seeing the way you guys stopped the South Park project at the Lackawanna line speaks volumes about who you think you only represent!!! I thought billionaires were bad the last time I checked you and Schumer's democratic party platform? So why are you guys planning on giving our tax dollars to the Billionaire Ralph Wilson and his Bills? Talk about hypocrisy!!!

This is the kinda thread I like!!!

People getting ticked off and posting their true feelings. I love it!!!

So, "This One Party Town" will never change, right Blue Thunder? Then get out and fight for a change. Elections are right around the corner. Choose a side and DO SOMETHING!
    Or, just keep posting here to entertain me you have some very biting posts.

I think this entire flood insurance issue is political fodder for election time. If the current Mayor cares so much about it what did he do when he was on the council. Hmm? let me guess he talked about it like Lohr did, Kozub did, Jack K.did and how many others? Darch brought up the issue but won't be able to follow through on anything now will she maybe the Mayors choice for council will talk with him about it while she does his hair.Sorry, that one was too easy!

I found the Front Page this week to be quite funny. The picture of mayor szymanski with councilwoman Annette Iafallo at the new playground. The best line was Geoff saying people wanted new playgrounds and it is a campaign promise he kept. Really Geoff? You told us voters you were going to seek your city SUV along with the DPW take home SUV and put that money towards the playgrounds. Lets be honest the council had to take those cars from you, because you had no interest in giving that free car up. The BEST part was that council president Pirowski and his fellow councilmen put that money in the budget for the new playgrounds, and upgrades NOT you GEOFF. The real picture should have been our city council at the playground. Give credit where it is due, and people need to know those playgrounds are the councils' doings. I have herd some rumors around that Pirowski plans to challenge Geoff, and the momentum in the past few elections clearly shows Pirowski and his team have the capability of getting the mayor seat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information