Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Gaughn to Run for Mayor

Question Kevin Gaughn to Run for Mayor

Received this email from Kevin Gaughn (I"m on his distribution list)...does this indicate hope or status quo?

============================================
    Dear Friends,

I have decided to become a candidate for mayor of Buffalo.

To convey our campaign's purpose of waking Buffalo to a better future, and shaking up the politicians, I will announce my candidacy at 6:45 a.m. this Wednesday morning at the corner of Niagara and Tonawanda streets, overlooking the Niagara River.

I seek this office not to be someone, but to do something; not to oppose anyone, but to propose a new way; and not to protect the present, but to achieve our future.

And I believe that future lies in a smaller, less costly, and more fair government with fewer politicians and stronger citizen voice.

I'd be honored if you could join us for this dawn launch of something our community hasn't seen in generations: a campaign centered on an idea. I know it's early, but we have much work to do if we're going to make the sun rise on Buffalo again. Our announcement site is easily accessed by taking the Scajaquada Expressway to Exit 265/266, the final exit before the Expressway splits onto NY190.

Later on Wednesday evening, I will be speaking live on WKBW-TV Channel 7 at 6:59 pm. I will carry a message of hope: our long, dark twilight is over. Please tune in and let me know what you think.

Eight years ago, I set out on a journey: to strengthen community by improving governance. Without public office, and not using any taxpayer funds, I introduced government consolidation, compelled cooperation, helped save Buffalo's terminus of the Erie Canal, and brought education reform to public schools. I achieved these goals by empowering people, not politicians.

To this campaign, I will bring the same energy with which I began the reform movement; devotion to public service my father taught me; and commitment to ideas that has been the hallmark of my civic life.

Citizen yearning for change has never been stronger. And the change they seek, never more necessary. On their behalf, and as the only candidate who supports streamlining government, I intend to deliver it.

To this campaign, I will give all of my energy, spirit, and soul. In return, I ask only your hand, and your prayers.

With warm regards, and hope to see you Wednesday,

Kevin Gaughan

The Gaughan Plan

For more information on the Gaughan Plan for a new, smaller government, please visit www.KevinGaughan.com
    "...give me Liberty or give me a beer and I'll think about it awhile..."

god help us all

In the past, I've nominated Mr. Gaughan for the "Les Foschio Medal for Irrelevant Good Government."
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

moonshine
    You think he could wrap it up by, say, 8:30 so I don't have to sit in a media traffic jam trying to get to work on niagara & amherst?

I'm not saying anything positive or negative about him 'cuz I don't know too much about him but at least he's trying and he's come up with some sort of plan (see his web site).

Unfortunately, I don' t believe he has the credability to make a run for it which is too bad.

And you might misread me, Son.

Les Foschio was probably the best-educated, most thoughtful guy we ever had run for Mayor.

But he got creamed when Eve and Griffin stepped into the ring.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

I don't think that Gaughn has the political know-how to be a serious candidate. I also don't think that he has the experience to do a good job if by some quirk he was elected.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

He also has no money. As far as his qualifications he is a one trick pony.
    He is becoming the Gus Hall of Buffalo. I know a guy who alaways voted for Gus Hall because he felt sorry for him for always trying.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by Linda_D
    I don't think that Gaughn has the political know-how to be a serious candidate. I also don't think that he has the experience to do a good job if by some quirk he was elected.

And your stating our current elected officials know what they are doing?

I have seen his web site and heard him on the radio. G seems to think that consolidating the city and county will solve all the ills of western NY.

While multiple layers of govt are a problem it goes a lot deeper than that. As a citizen I would never vote for any consolidation that didnt inclue the rest of the county.

The "first step" argument is bogus as hell. making Buffalo a large service district wont endear the city to suburban residents.The whole plan is to weak and fuzzy and once done cant be undone.

Consolidation is way to big a step to take unless your going to go all the way and WNY isnt ready for that yet.

Originally posted by biker
    And you might misread me, Son.

Les Foschio was probably the best-educated, most thoughtful guy we ever had run for Mayor.

But he got creamed when Eve and Griffin stepped into the ring.
    No, not at all...Foschio was the corporate council at Comptek/Barrister back in the '80's...nice guy, bright.

Ever notice that a lot of the talented, bright people DON'T run for office? Too busy being successful in their chosen fields of endeavor I guess.

6:45 AM press conference? Is he going for the Why Guy crowd?

I guess he wants to prove that he's a busy guy, with a booked schedule.

What happened to that little ole residency requirement??

I can't believe what I'm reading. Why are you all so negative? Why NOT Kevin Gaughan? I admire him. I certainly believe he has the wherewithall to surround himself with capable, smart people to help him facilitate his plan. He is every bit as capable as Judy; is THAT why you are not supportive - because he's running against Judy?

I wish I lived in Buffalo so I could vote for him.

Tell me if I am wrong, but doesn't this Gaughan fellow support Giambra's form of regionalism? Why would anyone run for a position while supporting someone who would like to elliminate this position with a county merger? Will he campaing with "Going, Going, Gaughan"?

Is he just running to get elected so that Giambra can sign off on the City of Buffalo?

Originally posted by Buff Lifer

I wish I lived in Buffalo so I could vote for him.
    I suppose if those silly little residency laws don't prevent a non-resident from running for mayor, you can always make the argument that a non-resident should be able to vote for mayor, as well

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information