Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soccer Association Reneges

Soccer Association Reneges

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1 View Post
    Soccer Association reneged on their deal...the Town is now solely responsible for the upkeep.
    A deal is a deal. Either the SA upkeeps the park, or they pay through dues to upkeep the park, or close the park. The same for the ice rink and the Hockey Association.

If you don't know exactly what the SA pulled, I suggest you check into it. What a scam. Check into how much of the SA's lease payments were actually made to the town.

There are a lot of people that use the soccer park and ice rink that aren't part of either Association. There are always people using the path at the soccer complex. More often than not the basketball court there is being used as well, and the playground. There were some military training groups using the complex this summer as well for fitness workouts. Why should the Soccer Association pay for the entire upkeep when they are not the only user?

And there are a lot of activities at the ice rink. There is a senior skate, public skate several times a week, figure skating, learn to skate, adult skate. The new town budget even includes an $8000 "instructor fee" for the ice rink. The hockey association is run by volunteers, so what "instructor" is this? The rink is also being used by the Jr. Sabres. Both high schools will be using the rink for their teams this season and the Middle schools will probably use it for modified hockey this year. All these activities are outside of the Hockey Association.

And, you neglect to include a bunch of other activities in your statement...baseball, basketball, the summer swim club, the list goes on and on.

The budget also includes a large dollar amount for the senior center and the town just hired a personal trainer for the center. Why don't we expect the people that use that facility to pay their "fair share", making it cost neutral for the town, or should we close that too?

Quote Originally Posted by wsresident33 View Post
    And, you neglect to include a bunch of other activities in your statement...baseball, basketball, the summer swim club, the list goes on and on.

The budget also includes a large dollar amount for the senior center and the town just hired a personal trainer for the center. Why don't we expect the people that use that facility to pay their "fair share", making it cost neutral for the town, or should we close that too?
    I think that in time of woe, everything should be as near cost neutral as possible, including the senior center.
    Further, if there were some agreement made, it should be honored by both parties. Not that I make an agreement to get something built, but then 'oh, I changed my mind'.

There are a lot of people that use the soccer park and ice rink that aren't part of either Association. There are always people using the path at the soccer complex. More often than not the basketball court there is being used as well, and the playground. There were some military training groups using the complex this summer as well for fitness workouts. Why should the Soccer Association pay for the entire upkeep when they are not the only user?

And there are a lot of activities at the ice rink. There is a senior skate, public skate several times a week, figure skating, learn to skate, adult skate. The new town budget even includes an $8000 "instructor fee" for the ice rink. The hockey association is run by volunteers, so what "instructor" is this? The rink is also being used by the Jr. Sabres. Both high schools will be using the rink for their teams this season and the Middle schools will probably use it for modified hockey this year. All these activities are outside of the Hockey Association.

Modified will not use the WS Ice Rink. The Ice rink is closed by that time.

We do have 3 sheets of ice in West Seneca, the other two sheets of ice are owned by private business called Leisure Rinks

See the TB minutes from Nov. 3, where the issue was brought up during the Issues of the Public section

http://www.westseneca.net/bdmin08/mi081103.html
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

Quote Originally Posted by wnyfuture View Post
    Modified will not use the WS Ice Rink. The Ice rink is closed by that time.

We do have 3 sheets of ice in West Seneca, the other two sheets of ice are owned by private business called Leisure Rinks
    I wish it upon no one to have to play at Leisure. That place is a dump. Horrible ice surface. Always has been. Same goes for it's sister twin rinks, Holiday. Actually, even worse there.

Quote Originally Posted by rwrusso View Post
    I wish it upon no one to have to play at Leisure. That place is a dump. Horrible ice surface. Always has been. Same goes for it's sister twin rinks, Holiday. Actually, even worse there.
    Both rinks have had major upgrades. New locker room policy is working well. Now hockey outlet is awful.

Why couldn't the town of WS lease the Ice Rink to private company? Hyde Park is owned by the City of Niagara Falls and they lease the rink to private company. West Seneca could do these.

They would still have to fix the compressor and pipe problems at the rink.

The Soccer Complex is a different story. There have been so many changes to the plan because of resident complaints, that they Soccer Association, and the town, have really tied their hands. The cost for soccer is pretty inexpensive, I would think an additional fee to cover the debt would help. And, the town must have made plenty in parking tickets there last summer. Every time I was there the police were ticketing people.

They would still have to fix the compressor and pipe problems at the rink.

The Soccer Complex is a different story. There have been so many changes to the plan because of resident complaints, that they Soccer Association, and the town, have really tied their hands. The cost for soccer is pretty inexpensive, I would think an additional fee to cover the debt would help. And, the town must have made plenty in parking tickets there last summer. Every time I was there the police were ticketing people.
    I think the ice rink would be a simple problem of finding the true expenses (separate meter would help), and then setting a rate for use enough to cover cost. If it were a private enterprise, or leased to a private enterprise, set a rate greater than cost.
    I think leasing the rink to an outside company should not be difficult. Possibly the company leasing the NF's rink would be interested, or any of the local private rink operators. Then, the town could lease it in one of two ways, fixed, or unfixed with a rate of lease so adjusted.
    Last edited by Niagara; November 21st, 2008 at 12:36 PM.

The Soccer Complex is a different story... The cost for soccer is pretty inexpensive, I would think an additional fee to cover the debt would help. And, the town must have made plenty in parking tickets there last summer. Every time I was there the police were ticketing people.
    The Soccer Complex should operate under the same prinicple. Find the cost of operation, set rates to cover them. The tickets would then be gravey.

Quote Originally Posted by wnyfuture View Post
    Both rinks have had major upgrades. New locker room policy is working well. Now hockey outlet is awful.

Why couldn't the town of WS lease the Ice Rink to private company? Hyde Park is owned by the City of Niagara Falls and they lease the rink to private company. West Seneca could do these.

Trust me, I play at both Holiday and Leisure and the ice surfaces at both are not good. They may have spruced up the rooms at Holiday, but the actual rink facilities are a joke. I would be concerned that a privately run WS rink would endure the same fate. As least from when I played there, the WS town rink was some of the best ice around.

I have to ask, in general, who is aware of exactly what the SA got away with? I think many of you would be appalled, and disgusted.

I have to ask, in general, who is aware of exactly what the SA got away with? I think many of you would be appalled, and disgusted.
    Mostly former members, and some present, of the former Town Board.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

Since you seem to know, why don't you tell everyone what they agreed to do which they did not do, ie 'got away with'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information