Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Collar Contract is a Landslide

Blue Collar Contract is a Landslide

394 to 20 in favor of the contract.
    It's been a long time coming.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/498201.html
    We would like to extend our heartfelt thanks to the Buffalo Fire Department. If they hadn't rejected that contract two weeks ago the city probably wouldn't have given us the time of day. Instead we got twenty percent. It's about time.
    It's going to be said we sold out the up and coming. Well, truth be told, you bargin for the membership, not for people who haven't been hired yet. And anyone hired will know the conditions when they take the job. I doubt they will turn the job down.
    There are a lot of details that aren't mentioned in the article. Brian Myer is very good at saying what we are getting and not mentioning what we current workers gave up gave up. The city got as good as it gave. I can tell you if the economy wasn't going down the toilet and Albany on a fiscal cliff this contract would not have passed so handily, if at all. But the members were worried about what turning this down might mean.
    I think our leadership did a good job considering and hats off to them.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

On the surface it looks like this will have a positive long term effect for the city and the employees.

don't know the details but nice to see both sides at the table with realistic solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by citymouse View Post
    It's going to be said we sold out the up and coming. Well, truth be told, you bargin for the membership, not for people who haven't been hired yet. And anyone hired will know the conditions when they take the job. I doubt they will turn the job down.
    You and I have disagreed on a lot of things but I hope all contracts go in this direction.

Hell, at this point I say give current workers whatever the hell they want if new hires have even more realistic contract terms.

Maybe the fire and police department would do something similar. Pay the guys on the force a wage equal to Trooper pay...keep the current health care and pension. But for new workers, 50% of health care is paid for by the worker and pension is 60% of your average for your ENTIRE career and a pension only last for an equal amount of years you worked on the job.

Don't take this the wrong way but the only way Buffalo to come back is for unions to sell out their "unborn" members. Let the guys and gals who are in the system "get theirs" so to speak and deal with the future.

With attrition and 20 years....Buffalo will be much better off.

Now, I don't understand why any city, town or state allows ANY of there empolyees to NOT live where they work or better yet, when they retire!

because this is america

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Now, I don't understand why any city, town or state allows ANY of there empolyees to NOT live where they work or better yet, when they retire!
    Freedom comes in many forms. where you choose to live is just one of the freedoms.
    You also get a better choice of worker when you dont limit your seach during recruitment.
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Unregistered
    Buffalo could save a small fortune if they were to privatize most, if not all, of their "blue collar" services, especially sanitation.

Amherst privatized sanitation several years ago. They're saving a boatload of money and the services are better.

Nothing personal citymouse, just a realistic observation.

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    Freedom comes in many forms. where you choose to live is just one of the freedoms.
    You also get a better choice of worker when you dont limit your seach during recruitment.

So is that kinda like saying it's okay to buy a foreign made car because you don't like an American one?

Nice to see

Hopefully the Control Board will approve the deal. With their approval, hopefully they will pay it . You guys certainly deserve that raise. Swanie house will be rockin ! We are at mediation, which won't do anything, so we'll be going to arbitration. I would guess the Firemen and Teachers will end up there too. I would expect to see something next yr around this time for us. It is a lengthly process. At least we don't have to worry about the streets not getting plowed ! Surfin, the City did get bids yrs ago, the companies didn't want to pick up the east and west sides. It was cheaper to keep the municipals. I'll keep em, they do a nice job.
    They hate us till they need us.

So is that kinda like saying it's okay to buy a foreign made car because you don't like an American one?
    I didn't know there was an American one.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    I didn't know there was an American one.

Yeah i think the vett's are still made in the US!

bought a chevy

I thought i had an American car. but looking inside the door I found my Chevy was made in Canada. should have bought the Toyota at least it was made in America. and yes if I cant find an American product I will buy a foreign one in fact I cant remember the last time I checked to see where something was made befor i bought it.
    what I buy is also a freedom. We are not forced to live any where. to buy only certain goods or hire only local workers.
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by citymouse View Post
    There are a lot of details that aren't mentioned in the article. Brian Myer is very good at saying what we are getting and not mentioning what we current workers gave up gave up. The city got as good as it gave.
    What'd they give up?

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    I thought i had an American car. but looking inside the door I found my Chevy was made in Canada. should have bought the Toyota at least it was made in America. and yes if I cant find an American product I will buy a foreign one in fact I cant remember the last time I checked to see where something was made befor i bought it.
    what I buy is also a freedom. We are not forced to live any where. to buy only certain goods or hire only local workers.

But, i guess, isn't that the downfall to this nation? We have to much freedoms? We have the freedom to buy whatever we want, but due high labor costs, we buy foreign products sending our money overseas. I mean just look at OPEC and gas, what does the middle east buy from the US?? Besides, arms, jets and tanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    What'd they give up?

It sounds like THEY didn't give anything up, just the "newbies".

It sounds like THEY didn't give anything up, just the "newbies".

tantamount to eating their own young

It's all brotherhood until the pinata breaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information