Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Showdown looms over city budget

Quote Originally Posted by LAsurvivor View Post
    I read the article first, and then watched the video on channel 4.

Someone should tell these guys to stay off tv. The mayor just mumbles and jammers on and on.

And the other guy? Where did he get that suit? Geez
    Chip off the ol block or should I say the other mayor. What do you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by youcangohome View Post
    So the council and mayor don't care about seniors and those deciding to buy medicine or food. They added hundreds of dollars to the tax bill of homeowners they're supposed to represent, while adding to the bottom line of multi billion dollar companies, development corporations, used car sales and bar owners. Try selling a house now!!!
    LOL ok one percenter is that how you gonna spin it. We no want no big business in Lackawanna now? To bad you didn't learn when Bethlehem got ran off for being overtaxed ,the beginning of the city's decline. Without overtaxtation you can't get your precious tax dollars and no show jobs anymore. Awww!
    Last edited by bluethunder; July 11th, 2012 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lackawanna #1 View Post
    This is exactly what you get when the Democratic chairman backs to republicans for office!
    Lmao hilarious. Keep up with the comedy of errors.

Quote Originally Posted by getalife123 View Post
    You are absolutely correct. This is the tactics used by the public sector when they don't like the reality of todays economy. Empty threats and a slow down of service. I wonder what the cost is to the taxpayers for the DPW. Let see things like wages, benefits, retirement benefits, health ins., cost of vehicles, gasoline, maintaince of vehicles, salt, supervision, over time, etc? Then I wonder why the suburbs OUTSOURCE the job to the private sector. What is the amount of the tax bill that is DPW related? Would it be cheaper to reduce the taxes and have the garbage picked up by private corps and outsource the snow removal to private enterprises? JUST A THOUGHT.
    Wonder how many get paid for 8 but really only work 4?

Post He Who Laughs Last.....Lasts!

Get your head out of 123's ass. Rite-Aide, Walgreens, Dollar General, Mittal steel, Midas, Auto Zone, Key Bank, First Niagara.
    Do you not have any couth gohome?!?

You are not abiding by the web-site rules at all........
    Please go re-read them so we do not have to read YOUR constant obscenities.

Post He Who Laughs Last.....Lasts!

Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    hire a comptroller instead of dpw workers, or wasn't that one of your political promises?
    bingo!

Cool He Who Laughs Last.....Lasts!

Quote Originally Posted by LAsurvivor View Post
    I read the article first, and then watched the video on channel 4.

Someone should tell these guys to stay off tv. The mayor just mumbles and jammers on and on.

And the other guy? Where did he get that suit? Geez
    I can't stop laughing!

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
    LOL ok one percenter is that how you gonna spin it. We no want no big business in Lackawanna now? To bad you didn't learn when Bethlehem got ran off for being overtaxed ,the beginning of the city's decline. Without overtaxtation you can't get your precious tax dollars and no show jobs anymore. Awww!
    you need a history lesson. Bethlehem closed because foreign countries, especially France, were subsidising their steel industry. Do you need an economics lesson too?

you need a history lesson. Bethlehem closed because foreign countries, especially France, were subsidising their steel industry. Do you need an economics lesson too?
    Oh really. So you are saying that the foreign subsidizing was the reason for the failure of Bethelhem Steel. In fact the subsidizes were so high that it was cheaper to manufacture the steel in Italy, ship overseas and build the Father Baker Bridge directly in front of a steel plant. You're claiming that the wages, work rules, change in environmental laws and taxing had nothing to do with the plant's demise.

Don't tell me that was the only reason for the plant closing because my father, uncles and cousins all worked there. After the strike in 1957, my father said that Bethelhem will never put money into the plant again and thought that the plant would close within 10 years. He was wrong it took 15 years. If in fact your warped idea was true we would have no steel manufacturing capabilities in this country which in fact we do. I could explain the economics of the plant to you but you could NOT comprehend the total picture. Everybody had a part in the plant closing from management, workers, unions, city taxes, county taxes, state taxes, federal and state laws and rules to the overall cost to modernize the plant. The plant could no longer make a profit and closed that is the bottomline. Bethelhem moved production to newer plants and 25,000 people were unemployed. Now try calling this anything but the truth.
    Last edited by getalife123; July 12th, 2012 at 11:58 AM.

Exactly. We all know how there were a lot of workers who clocked in to the Steel Plant, while at the same time having a city job, and then going drinking or gambling at the OTB. I had relatives who worked at the plant and were specifically told not to do a certain task because they had to wait 15 minutes for another guy to drive across the plant and turn that bolt. Like you said, work rules, high unskilled labor costs, taxes, poor mgmt, etc, all added up to make the plant uncompetitive.

Oh really. So you are saying that the foreign subsidizing was the reason for the failure of Bethelhem Steel. In fact the subsidizes were so high that it was cheaper to manufacture the steel in Italy, ship overseas and build the Father Baker Bridge directly in front of a steel plant. You're claiming that the wages, work rules, change in environmental laws and taxing had nothing to do with the plant's demise.

Don't tell me that was the only reason for the plant closing because my father, uncles and cousins all worked there. After the strike in 1957, my father said that Bethelhem will never put money into the plant again and thought that the plant would close within 10 years. He was wrong it took 15 years. If in fact your warped idea was true we would have no steel manufacturing capabilities in this country which in fact we do. I could explain the economics of the plant to you but you could NOT comprehend the total picture. Everybody had a part in the plant closing from management, workers, unions, city taxes, county taxes, state taxes, federal and state laws and rules to the overall cost to modernize the plant. The plant could no longer make a profit and closed that is the bottomline. Bethelhem moved production to newer plants and 25,000 people were unemployed. Now try calling this anything but the truth.
    Thanks for proving my point. It was not taxes.

Yep, a 25 year old making 75 thou a year just didn't hold up in the world market.....you know what the most expensive aspect of manufacturing is right? But NY hasn't been business friendly for as long as I can remember anyway. Then some country comes along and gives the once cheap labor countries a run....and so on. Until everyone has the same standard of living as us, or we are at the same standard of living as everyone else..This is the most likely scenario

Thanks for proving my point. It was not taxes.
    What is your learning disability? So tell me which straw broke the camels back? Taxes both city and school played a role in the plants closing. Only a person whose view on life is so tainted that reality becomes just a misty cloud would not fault taxing one industry and virtually make it carry the entire tax load for a city and a school system. Not holding them responsible for the closing is stupid. How many of those former politicial leaders had any regrets for killing the plant. I would venture a guess of none because they always have an excuse for their failure. To say that the fault was entirely the city is wrong but to not place its fair share on the city would be asinine.

All politicians want to make an industry into a faceless entity because then making the industry into a villain is simple. The fact is that industries are a collection of people with similar values working for a common goal. One of those goals is not having to support the waste of their hard work and money. Paying for patronage jobs in the city and schools with no real value with tax dollars is CRIMINAL.
    Last edited by getalife123; July 12th, 2012 at 02:27 PM.

What is your learning disability? So tell me which straw broke the camels back? Taxes both city and school played a role in the plants closing. Only a person whose view on life is so tainted that reality becomes just a misty cloud would not fault taxing one industry and virtually make it carry the entire tax load for a city and a school system. Not holding them responsible for the closing is stupid. How many of those former politicial leaders had any regrets for killing the plant. I would venture a guess of none because they always have an excuse for their failure. To say that the fault was entirely the city is wrong but to not place its fair share on the city would be asinine.

All politicians want to make an industry into a faceless entity because then making the industry into a villain is simple. The fact is that industries are a collecting of people with similar values working for a common goal. One of those goals is not having to support the waste of their hard work and money. Paying for patronage jobs with no value with tax dollars is CRIMINAL.
    Industry is the villified when they say screw you for greener pasture up and leave, now if we could only say screw you to excessive expensive government and beaurocracy.

Yes!!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information