Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we need a mayor at all?

Do we need a mayor at all?

Do we need a new mayor?

Isn't this an opportunity to "regionalize" and have a single "leader" (yeah, right...in WNY!) rather than a mayor or county executive?
    "...give me Liberty or give me a beer and I'll think about it awhile..."

I thought the planets had aligned with vacuous Tone at the helm, a restructured Common Council and a bankruptcy trustee, errr Control Board, in effective control of the City.

That was last year.

That was before Joel was unmasked as a punk.

That was before the Legislature began a non-stop audition to replace the Three Stooges.

So now, sighhh, I guess we'll have a mayor.

Looks like we'll round out the Mod Squad of former, ineffective State Senators.

Yes we need a Mayor, the City of Buffalo is still the largest municipality of the County. I for one would like to see a change come to the Mayor seat.

Regionalism is NOT going to happen any time soon, and not with the plan that Giambra has in mind. No other municipality is going to want to give up their Mayoral government in the County, so why should Buffalo?

It's rumored that Masiello is not going to run but will put all of his backing (IE-supporters) into Capolla (sp?) for Mayor.

If anyone knows the PC candidate that is running, suggest that she post on the boards to get her views out there.

Nightowl:

I read things differently. I think Tone made up his mind (whoa, that must have been a struggle) not to run months ago.

As a last service to his Party, he is delaying his announcement. That has frozen in place all other Dems, except front-runner Brown. Who seems to be the chosen of the Party.

The Party has been good to Tone and Tone is returning the favor.

Of course Buffalo needs a Mayor, they just don't need the current one.
    It is very easy for all those who have fled the city to suggest what the city does and dosen't need. The only opinion that matters is those of us who presently reside in the city and have registered to vote here. Anyone else with criticism or opinion is irrelevent and inconsequental.
    There are many who could have left and chose to stay. I have lived in the city all my life and could see myself no where else but the neighborhood I was raised in and I raised my children in.
    No matter what anyone else thinks or would like, the people in this city have a charter that they put in place and city residents live and die by it.
    Said charter calls for a Mayor, and until the voters change it we will continue to have, and are bound by law to have a Mayor.
    That being said, it looks like Byron Brown. Tony To Tall has not annonced either way, but I don't think what he does will make a difference (word on the street his wife strongly opposes another term). Marc Coppola my throw his hat in the ring, but I hear he is looking to do it as a barganing chip when he makes a play for Byron's Senate seat .
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Originally posted by citymouse
    the people in this city have a charter that they put in place and city residents live and die by it.
    Calm down, friend.

Some of us live and die by other things.

I meant that only in a political sense.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

moadib

No, Buffalo has never had a good mayor. Its needs a City Manager that could be fired

No, Buffalo has never had a good mayor. Its needs a City Manager that could be fired!

And the Buffalo Common Council is nothing more than a part time job

And the Erie County Legislature is nothing more than a part time job

The biggest thing behind merging the Buffalo Common Council and the Erie County Legislature is that finally those people would be earning their salary for full time pay for a full time job!

And I support replacing the Erie County Executive with a County Manager that can be fired too!

website

If anyone knows the PC candidate that is running, suggest that she post on the boards to get her views out there. [/B][/QUOTE]

She has her own website which is fine you can go there and write to her by email or post on her board.......With her own website she doesn't need to post here, you can go there.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Hello, All. I'm the PC candidate for mayor of Buffalo. Judith Einach, call me Judy.

I'm in the race fighting for life of the city and our people. Having thoroughly read the documents on Giambra's and Greiner's proposed govt consolidation there is no way I'd lead us toward that. You can find more details on my website. I'm working with a community group that will make the extent of the bad deal public soon.

Regionalism is a much larger concept than govt consolidation. I'm all for building market-based regional relationships, restoring Buffalo's economy and strengthening the economy of the region. I'm all for ways municipalities can work together to save money and offer better quality service.

Once upon a time, until only 50 years ago, even a little less, the county had 3 main functions. Courts, public health and transportation. The county was then transformed into an even bigger patronage dump. Makes me long for the good old days.

I think Buffalo needs a mayor. I think Buffalo needs a mayor who can shake the system, stand on principles, set high standards, run without making deals that will interfer with hiring qualified people, manage for results, be accountable to the people, and partner with the community to move the city forward and get things done. I say this all the time - we have to right-size city govt and get it in its right place in the context of community. City govt fulfills a role. We give city govt authority for good reasons. A community has public business to manage.

The problem is that we've built a political system that no longer requires public servants to have real world experience. That's crazy. It used to be a respected member of the community took a turn, hence the term public servant, managing the community's business in exchange for all the benefits he, now she, obtained fom living in the community. That's a sound practice. That's the spirit of why I'm running.

Please allow me to take this moment to ask you to get actively involved in my campaign, once you've decided you like my views and positions. The only way to run a resourceful and successful campaign will be with people like you working with me on the streets, getting petitions signs, lit dropped, talking up the campaign, hosting "coffees", etc. The public's reception is great. You'll have a good time and we'll have a fine victory for a change!

Respectfully,
    Judy
    www.judy4mayor.org

Great post Judy.

Welcome aboard.

Hope you've got a real thick skin; Buffalo's politics are not polite.

I began a new thread under this forum for Judy, maybe I can get the admin to move her post there.

Welcome Judy.

it won't be easy here.

Where do you stand on private contracts for public services?
    It seems most reform minded political candidates jump on the Wilmers-Rudnick ship of privitization.
    The only ones who win in those deals are the companies that get the contract.
    If you continue the trend of blaming the workers instead of the Bozos who have been giving away city contracts and awarding high patronage jobs, then you are not my candidate.
    If you think big ticket items and using Block zone money, federal and state economic grants and other types of community development is best doled out to Partnership members only is the way to turn the city around then you are not anyone I would support.
    If you think high price condos instead of public access is the way to go at the Erie basin then we have nothing to talk about.
    If you think the NFTA is the organization to decide who and how development on the outer harbor should proceed we are at odds.
    Look around the once proud niegborhoods of Buffalo, take a ride down Sweet Ave., Sycamore, Broadway, Bailey Ave., East Ferry, Massachutes, Seneca Street, or Fillmore and then down Hertel and then tell me how you plan to make all those streets like Hertel, Maybe we could talk.
    You speak of the life of Buffalo.
    The life is it's neighborhoods and they are dying. No work, no decent affordable housing, no efficent public transportation, no stores or other neigborhood institutions.
    Lots of vacant lots and boarded up buildings awating demolition.
    What is your plan?
    I belive in strong, safe neighborhoods for all of the city, Good paying union jobs in the private sector. Small business opportunities for every one in all corners of this town.
    Strong community centers.
    Letting city services be provided by rank and file city workers with out a lot of unqualified over staffed and over paid political hacks running the show.
    I will check out your website, if you adress these concerns I will consider you as a serious candidate, otherwise, forget it.

Wowee Citymouse, nothing like an open mind.

Begins with S between Eggertsville and Williamsville

www.judy4mayor.org

www.judy4mayor.org

She has a forum where you can ask her questions directly....
    Christopher Byrd
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    http://indabuff.com
    http://broadwayfillmorealive.org

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information