Thread: Now Im Not A Big Fan Of The Nfta But Shouldnt Buffalo & Lackawanna Unite W/waterfront

moadib

Now Im Not A Big Fan Of The Nfta But Shouldnt Buffalo & Lackawanna Unite W/waterfront

NOW IM NOT A BIG FAN OF THE NFTA BUT SHOULDNT BUFFALO & LACKAWANNA UNITE W/WATERFRONT

If you read the Buffalo News today, you should have read that Bethlehem Steel is going to rehab the 1000 acreas of their old steel mill until its shovel ready for development.

But that makes me wonder:
    1) Shouldnt the plans for the Southtown Connector be extended to the Hamburg Townline?
    2) Shouldnt Erie County, Buffalo and Lackawanna be talking together to jointly develop the waterfront.

I KEEP HEARING ABOUT ABOUT THE TWO DEVELOPMENT FRACTIONS. ONE WANTS DOWNTOWN BUFFALO TO EXPAND SOUTH TO THE WATERFRONT WHILE THE OTHER WANTS TO PRESERVE THE WATERFRONT GREENSPACE.

WELL, DO WE NEED GREENSPACE IN LACKAWANNA AND BUFFALO? HOW MUCH GREENSPACE DO WE REALLY NEED?

No, I don't think they should.

I don't want to see the redevelopment put into the hands of any single entity.
    I'd rather see it split up into 20 different parcels. This way if one developer bags, you still have a 95% chance that something good will come of it.

Re: Now Im Not A Big Fan Of The Nfta But Shouldnt Buffalo & Lackawanna Unite W/waterfront

Originally posted by moadib
    NOW IM NOT A BIG FAN OF THE NFTA BUT SHOULDNT BUFFALO & LACKAWANNA UNITE W/WATERFRONT

If you read the Buffalo News today, you should have read that Bethlehem Steel is going to rehab the 1000 acreas of their old steel mill until its shovel ready for development.

But that makes me wonder:
    1) Shouldnt the plans for the Southtown Connector be extended to the Hamburg Townline?
    2) Shouldnt Erie County, Buffalo and Lackawanna be talking together to jointly develop the waterfront.

I KEEP HEARING ABOUT ABOUT THE TWO DEVELOPMENT FRACTIONS. ONE WANTS DOWNTOWN BUFFALO TO EXPAND SOUTH TO THE WATERFRONT WHILE THE OTHER WANTS TO PRESERVE THE WATERFRONT GREENSPACE.

WELL, DO WE NEED GREENSPACE IN LACKAWANNA AND BUFFALO? HOW MUCH GREENSPACE DO WE REALLY NEED?

My understanding was that we taxpayers are rehabbing it and that Bethlehem Steel has no part in cleaning up their own mess.
    Linda
    ==========================

I don't want to move, I want to make a difference.

I read that the new owner is putting millions into cleanup, the State will be asked to assist with the remediation (any owner can apply for these funds statewide including cities or towns), and the County is going to fund roadwork. So if this isn't a public/private partnership....I don't know of one. At least the owner is going to move on it, Bethlehem demolished buildings to reduce their taxes and that was it- we got to look at an industrial graveyard for 20 years. Having any of this property supporting jobs and allowing public access is a big deal.

An owner that will put up their own money is somewhat encouraging. Hopefully this turns into more action than talk.
    Linda
    ==========================

I don't want to move, I want to make a difference.

moadib

Now I wasnt talking about a single developer for Buffalo & Lackawanna

Now I wasnt talking about a single developer for Buffalo & Lackawanna

But it would be nice if there was some communication and joint planning.

Why should the southtown connector end at the Lackawanna Town Line?

Why shouldnt the roads and utilities be coordinated?

Why should the green space and waterfront have a coordinated plan? Not a single developer or a single plan or a single approach just luxury high-rises and town homes, office and business parks are great. However, the Port of Buffalo is a valuable asset and so are the Seneca Rail Yards and the way they parcel out green space, residential, office, retail, light industrial and industrial space.

50 YEARS AGO NO ONE THOUGHT THAT SHIPPING WOULD FOR ALL INTENSIVE PURPOSES END IN THE PORT OF BUFFALO. 50 YEARS FROM NOW LAKE TRAVEL MAY RETURN...AND THE AREA WILL BE CLOSED TO THE OPPORTUNITY.

But if Lackawanna comes back to life that is certainly going to add impetus for Buffalos waterfront! Though, I dont think much will happen until the Skyway comes down or the Michigan Lift Bridge is brought back.

Thread Information