Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Elected Officials are Getting It

Some Elected Officials are Getting It

Story location: http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=27376

The interest in local government is very high because of the various developments at the county level," Tonawanda’s Town Supervisor explains. "And people are concerned about the direction their local governments will be taking over the next several years."

That concern could lead the Town on Tonawanda to a smaller government: four board members instead of six.

A proposal suggesting downsizing came up earlier this week. But would this town board really vote to cut itself by two members? A big part of that decision will lie, not with politicians, but with a handful of citizens.

The board members will appoint seven Town of Tonawanda citizens by May. The group will research, discuss, and finally make a recommendation about downsizing. The final decision still lies with the board.

"This is where the rubber meets the road." And unlike county government, Town Supervisor Ronald Moline says, "Town government is close, available, assessable, and responsive."

After the budget ax hit Erie County, many are waiting to turn the ax back ob local government. Moline says he knows cynicism and suspicion are running high, but he expects his neighbors to make decisions based on logic.

Two on Your Side asked him if he was concerned people be making emotional decisions about government right now. He hesitated a moment and then said, "I have great faith in people expressing their judgment about individual candidates and important issues."

Those important issues: the size, cost, and efficiency of local government are facing not just the Town on Tonawanda, but all of Western New York. That's why other towns will be keeping a close eye on this one.
    -r

I was at the meeting and it was from 7 to 5 not 6 to 4. Currently I think the town is run well and has affordable taxes. I also don't have any friends or family members that work in the public sector so I say this without bias.

How many "bored" members??

Rob Smith merely posted a t.v. interview and it is correct in the number of "bored" members we have, (6)!!

Since the Town Supervisor position would not be eliminated, the number of "bored" members could go from (6) to (4).

A symbolic jester at best, the "bored" will appoint a citizen commitee??? but the "bored" will have the final say???

What's wrong with the voters deciding, don't they trust us??
    Last edited by douggust; April 4th, 2005 at 07:59 PM.
    "What the hell is going on?"

"The town is run well"

Yep, I'd agree that the services provided are 1st class, but just like any government with taxing powers, I'm sure their mind set is "how much can we nail them this year without causing any uproar?"!!

To go from a 3.21% tax increase in '03, followed by a 3.02% tax increase in '04 & then get hit with a 6.38% increase in '05, I think that someone is starting to get out of control.

Are the taxes affordable?? Why not ask someone on a fixed income that question? 6%+ is nuts, what is coming next year??

My grandma is on a fixed income and she lives in Kenmore. it's tough but she does it.

Kenmore and The Town

ksarkisian--

The Town and Kenmore have gone downhill for several decades now. When these were founded, people were so happy to breathe fresh air and stretch their limbs that they did everything to maintain the salubrious atmosphere and it resulted in a pretty little village and happy residents. These two entities are fraternal twins, and the boundaries sometimes overlap.
    Look at Delaware Ave today. Telemarketing and that eyesore of a shop with the signs all over it. There is no good standard adhered to, and so the main street is very uninviting..The politicians who are in charge are very short sighted. The great inovations were all accomplished long before they got in. They just reap the benefits. I won't get into the specifics. What you are living in is the tailend of a golden era. It needn't be. Read your history--there's quite a bit of it at the library.

Well your are partially correct. What would you consider better? Niagara Falls blvd or transit? The village on delware has allot of competition with hertel ave and Elmwood in Buffalo. Comparing to the past without looking to the future is a major problem with the area.

I think you're missing my point, Ksark--comparing NFB or Transit is like the apples and oranges.
    I know that Kenmore needs the tax money, but they ARE riding on the past to draw people and business. By letting Delaware Ave become seedy looking is not going to enhance the business or residential potential and is not upgrading the future of the village or the town.

I think upgrading the sidewalks and streets are a step in the right direction. Bringing in new small businesses is the next step.

Yep, it's not the village or town of the past, Delaware is looking kind of shabby in the village and in the town the old Vix store on Delaware has been vacant for a couple of years, the old Quality store on Sheridan & Delaware Rd. has been vacant well over a year in not longer and even though it is really in Buffalo, the Jubilee store on Kenmore Ave near Englewood is now vacant.

Large properties with no tenants, anyone heard of any plans for these properties??

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by ksarkisian
    My grandma is on a fixed income and she lives in Kenmore. it's tough but she does it.
    The hole point is it shouldn't be tough because someone feels we should tax to provide services for others.

I'm not sure on the empty big boxes. I do know that the corner of kenmore and starin has seen new tenants and also there is plans for the corner of kenmore and nigara falls blvd. Also there is new donut place where perkins use to be and there are also developing across the street from there. EVERY town has dead big boxes including amherst and a few in hamburg. Maybe they can level some of these new big boxes and put in more housing.

Okay, I got it, a bank relocates from Kenmore Ave & Englewood and builds a new one at Kenmore & Starin, that's development??

A donut shop opens, that's development??

How about six more pizza places open, that's development??

Put up a taxpayer subsidized apartment complex, that's development??

Look around, this area is slowly going to "hell"!!

No, that's not development.
    I think Kenmore should look at Market Street, Corning, NY, for a good example of what can be done.
    Delaware Ave could become a modern version of itself, with the same type of shops that've saved Corning. But small, personal and laid back. The gigantic super markets are great for the weekly shopping, but I always have the feeling I've escaped when I leave one. Enjoyable shopping and dining--and a movie house with a big screen!

doggust...what are you really saying? Of course you are right. Erie county is one big "developing." area for awhile. Currently it's full of FAKE development. We DON'T need more housing or moving existing boxes moving between one area to the other. Don't bitch and complain unless you can give some answers!!!

I support Buffalo, Amherst and Town of Tonawanda businesses all the time. I live in the town when I can easily live in OP, Clarence or whatever other suburb I choose. Most of the Amherst and the Town of Tonawanda were built when Buffalo was booming. OP, Clarence, Wheatfield were all built of sprawl.

That being said this is what needs to happen...
    -tell your legislature that if they want your vote, they need to support Buffalo. Everything from housing, business to schools. Shift my erie county dollars to Buffalo now!!
    -we need to downsize erie county gov't. Get out of the park business along with sheriff's and give back the auto bureau to the state. Erie county gov't is a catalyst for sprawl.
    -Tell your legislature also that we don't need anymore SILVER bullet ideas. Build small and think big

That's my two cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information