Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butcher Shop?

Butcher Shop?

Are there any actual BUTCHER shops left in Buffalo? Or are they all meat markets now?
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Unregistered
    there's a butcher shop over on grant st .. in the vicinity of W. Ferry, I believe.

Johnny's Meats on Hertel

Federal Meats on Delaware at the Great Arrow Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150 View Post
    Are there any actual BUTCHER shops left in Buffalo? Or are they all meat markets now?
    There are plenty of meat markets down on Chippewa... Oh, nevermind
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by MERL J View Post
    Johnny's Meats on Hertel

Federal Meats on Delaware at the Great Arrow Plaza

Federal Meats is not a butcher shop.

Federal Meats is not a butcher shop.
    Yes it is. Did you ever notice the butchers that populate their workforce?

I'll add that it is also locally owned and operated.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke View Post
    Yes it is. Did you ever notice the butchers that populate their workforce?

I'll add that it is also locally owned and operated.

From what I saw when I went in there, there's no whole animals being brought in and cut.

I'm looking for an authentic butcher shop.

Unregistered
    Noun 1. Butcher Shop - a shop in which meat and poultry (and sometimes fish) are sold.

From what I saw when I went in there, there's no whole animals being brought in and cut.

I'm pretty sure it's against health codes to bring "whole animals" - dead or alive - into any place that sells food - uncooked or cooked. Most of the steaks and hamburger you buy from there comes from large quarters of cow that hang in the cooler and are processed and/or ground right in the store. That they don't necessarily perform that operation out in the open does not mean it's not happening i.e. "Seeing how sausage is made" and all that.

Take my word for it, it is a butcher shop. I worked for Federal Meats for years while in high school and between semesters in college.

I'll even go one further and reveal a bias by saying I think it is one of the best run small businesses in the area (or was, at least, during my tenure there). A niche market, for sure, in the days of huge supermarkets, but it has survived because it consistently made quality, not quantity, the goal. That and they take very good care of their employees, which can be integral in any successful business. If I was a big meat-eater I would be patronizing the Great Arrow store regularly.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Well, I guess in that case, you can go to the Chinese Restaurant in Hamburg. I also believe Federal Meats have whole carcasses they keep in the freezer that they cut from.

I'm pretty sure it's against health codes to bring "whole animals" - dead or alive - into any place that sells food - uncooked or cooked. Most of the steaks and hamburger you buy from there comes from large quarters of cow that hang in the cooler and are processed and/or ground right in the store. That they don't necessarily perform that operation out in the open does not mean it's not happening i.e. "Seeing how sausage is made" and all that.

Take my word for it, it is a butcher shop. I worked for Federal Meats for years while in high school and between semesters in college.

I'll even go one further and reveal a bias by saying I think it is one of the best run small businesses in the area (or was, at least, during my tenure there). A niche market, for sure, in the days of huge supermarkets, but it has survived because it consistently made quality, not quantity, the goal. That and they take very good care of their employees, which can be integral in any successful business.
    I ahve had steaks cut to order at Federal - and have had exceelent service and attitude served with the meats.

I'll even go one further and reveal a bias by saying I think it is one of the best run small businesses in the area (or was, at least, during my tenure there). A niche market, for sure, in the days of huge supermarkets, but it has survived because it consistently made quality, not quantity, the goal. That and they take very good care of their employees, which can be integral in any successful business. If I was a big meat-eater I would be patronizing the Great Arrow store regularly.

That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

But another question arises... BUTCHER...when you butcher an animal, you kill it an cut it up...so they must have done this at one time!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    Noun 1. Butcher Shop - a shop in which meat and poultry (and sometimes fish) are sold.

I find that to be a very inaccurate definition. Tops and Wegmans sell meat, but they are NOT butchers. A lot of their meat arrives already cut, if not all.

I find that to be a very inaccurate definition. Tops and Wegmans sell meat, but they are NOT butchers. A lot of their meat arrives already cut, if not all.
    Actually not totally true, they do cut their meats there. They are brought in as cow halves and then they cut it from there. I worked there for few years in high school and watched them do this. If you go to the butcher block they will cut steaks and things like this to the size you want..

Like, to take a deer in or something?
    Hubby would know. But he's out bow hunting right now.
    I'll ask when he gets home.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information