Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corasanti -Texting cited near time of doctor's fatal hit-run.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Corasanti -Texting cited near time of doctor's fatal hit-run.

I started this thread because I think cell phone use in vehicles should be banned. This includes police officers who talk on their cells while driving.

Texting cited near time of doctor's fatal hit-run

Updated: May 9, 2012, 11:43 AM

The last text message that Alexandria "Alix" Rice sent, before her death, went to her father at 11:19 p.m.

The teenager, who decided to skateboard home from her job at a pizzeria, let him know she was going to change clothes before joining him at a karaoke event that his business was conducting on that fateful July 8 night.

Dr. James G. Corasanti also was sending texts at 11:19 p.m., as he drove home from his country club outing.
    Read the full story in Buffalo's #1 News Paper

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    There is no way this person didn't realize he hit something large.

did you skim this story?

Corasanti jury sees damaged BMW parts

Updated: May 5, 2012, 1:32 PM

Jurors on Friday looked at the buckled hood and damaged fender of the 2010 BMW that struck teenage skateboarder Alexandria "Alix" Rice last summer.

The car parts were displayed near the jury box at the manslaughter and hit-and-run trial of Dr. James G. Corasanti in Erie County Court.

"The hood is buckled back as a result of the impact with the victim," testified Kevin Murphy, a senior investigator for the Amherst Police Traffic Accident Investigation Bureau.
    Red the full story in the Buffalo News

He was txting his girlfriend while he was driving... not only will he be injiail for years... his wife will serve him papers!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    He was txting his girlfriend while he was driving... not only will he be injiail for years... his wife will serve him papers!
    Where did it say girlfriend in the article?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Where did it say girlfriend in the article?
    It didn't...
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

I see had had one of the EC plates. I think they used to be kind of unofficially reserved for "special people."

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    I see had had one of the EC plates. I think they used to be kind of unofficially reserved for "special people."
    Special or not, he did somethign really bad. He has decades of medical training, and the oath to first do no harm. HE did a lot of harm, however unintentionally, but a young girl is gone, and a family..2 familes..are devastated. For sure, his medical training can be put to good use to say "im sorry"..and move on. Make good with rest of his life, not in private practice but in service to community above and beyond.

i feel bad for ths guy actually. i think we all have nightmares sometimes of doing something absolutely terrible and irreversible, and wake up thankful its just a bad dream. That guy will hear that thud on his car for every quiet moment for the rest of his life, and know he killed someone. A prison sentence doesnt serve any purpose other than remove him from society. let his misake be an example of what not to do...its a tough burden for him to bear of course. socially, professionally, but, in that burden there could be redemption over the long term..or maybe a redemption that never comes BUT, his medical training, and his remorse, can possibly be used for a greater good somehow. Terrible tragedy all around..

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I started this thread because I think cell phone use in vehicles should be banned. This includes police officers who talk on their cells while driving.
    It is beyond interesting to see how many police are driving around with cell phones at their ears. A cop freind said they are all exempt from the cell phone law due to phone being used for emergency purposes. If thats true, then the cell phones shold all be issues by the municpalities, and tracked for "emergency" usage. There is no way that almost every cop i pass on the road is having an emergency. Even on the thruway, at speed traps, just sitting back on the cell phones. Why not just watch moves on the ipad?

Id ask what special "emergency use" training to the police get ? Give that same training to civilians then. Nah, that law is just a huge money grab, while police are exempt from it for no good reason other than the phone gives them something to do during the down time, or cruise time.

wnyerlaughs, I'm not sure that's the solution. Although I agree about the terrible irreversible nature of the incident, in my opinion, what is unforgivable is that he drives off. He is supposedly an adult and a highly paid professional to boot (which is supposed to imply some level of responsibility). He should have stopped, or at least turned around and see what happened. The only thing that could have made him do this is his conscience. And apparently he was very weak willed. Now if he were a child, or a teenager, I could almost understand. But an adult? Have I made missteps and done things I regretted? Sure. Was I scared when I had to take responsibility for my actions? Sure. But that is part of growing up...

As far as the punishment is concerned, do you think it would serve as a deterrent to other people? What's really frustrating is that we live in this car dependent society and that if people were really serious about fixing DWI and other stuff they'd have come up with some better solutions...

Originally posted by Genoobie:
    As far as the punishment is concerned, do you think it would serve as a deterrent to other people? What's really frustrating is that we live in this car dependent society and that if people were really serious about fixing DWI and other stuff they'd have come up with some better solutions...
    There doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent for DWI's. In this article from Buffalo News http://www.buffalonews.com/city/comm...icle821191.ece the man was charged with felony driving while intoxicated, two other DWI charges, felony aggravated unlicensed operation and other charges.

Yet, he had 8 previous alcohol convictions with six of them being felonies. Where is the deterrent? or What is the punishment?

Georgia L Schlager

Where is the deterrent?
    It will start when society finally realizes that alcohol is a scourge on society and the enemy of everything decent. Till then, reap the fruit of this evil. As my dear uncle told me many a year ago as he tried to get me off that poison: "Boozers are losers, always were and always will be."
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Smart Start alcohol sensors for cars.
    Can't blow clean, car won't start.
    Hillary will NEVER be President
    Obama is a FORMER President
    Joe Biden is in Scranton eating paste.

I wonder whatever happened with these alcohol monitoring ankle bracelets. Do they still utilize them in Erie County?
    http://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sho...l=1#post202479

Georgia L Schlager

when you require drivers licenses for proof that you can drink . you are saying only drivers can drink. when you build a bar and zoning laws require that bar to install a parking lot for all the people getting drunk what do you expect to get. remove the parking lots from bars and maybe some off the drunks will not be on the road. then make a law prohibiting plea bargaining for alcohol and drug related driving tickets. If you get an impaired or an under the influence ticket you lose your license and get fined. If someone is injured then it is a felony with Jail time. if someone is killed you get jail time for man slaughter and never get a license again. yes I lost a Sister and two nieces to a drunk Idiot who also died
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by wnyerlaughs View Post
    Id ask what special "emergency use" training to the police get ? Give that same training to civilians then.
    You can't be serious? Police officers receive extensive training in emergency vehicle operations. Even us feds are trained in high speed driving, obstacle avoidance and emergency vehicle operations. We need to since that is what the public expects from us if/when we are required to drive fast to get places to protect you. It also protects us and agencies from lawsuits (or causes monies to be paid)

We have to listen and answer radio calls, MDT traffic, hell, even looking out the window at buildings or down alleys require that we develop the skill to maintain an awareness of traffic in addition to observing what is going on around us.

To the subject of DWI generally, nothing will ever happen except punishment for the violators. DWI is an "anyman" crime. It does not know social strata or education or job description. You are not necessarily a "bad person." I would guess there aren't many among us who have not gotten into a motor vehicle, knowing we had too much to drink, and driven that car home at one or more times in our lives and but for luck or the grace of God we didn't hit something, someone or get stopped by the police.

Texting while driving is just plain crazy. But tell that to "Siri," since she can let us text and drive with the push of a button.

b.b.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information