Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Village of Depew wants to override the tax cap

Village of Depew wants to override the tax cap

At tomorrow night's board meeting, the village is offering up a resolution to set a public hearing on March 12 to consider Local Law #2 authorizing overriding the tax cap.
    http://www.villageofdepew.org/agenda...enda022712.pdf

The full text of the resolution is on page 3.

Georgia L Schlager

mikenold - what say you?

When are they all up for Elections?

I don't believe the boards goal is to increase taxes just because they can. But trying to keep it as low as possible and trying not to go over the tax cap. There are huge penalties from NY if a government goes over the 2% cap. They are doign this to protect the residents. If anyone has been reading the news over the last several months several towns and villages have done the same. Not to increase the taxes just because but to keep it as low as possible and not pay any fines. The Village of Lancaster is doing the same thing tomorrow night. I would much rather have my taxes go for the services I receive then to NY as a fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott4 View Post
    I don't believe the boards goal is to increase taxes just because they can. But trying to keep it as low as possible and trying not to go over the tax cap. There are huge penalties from NY if a government goes over the 2% cap. They are doign this to protect the residents. If anyone has been reading the news over the last several months several towns and villages have done the same. Not to increase the taxes just because but to keep it as low as possible and not pay any fines. The Village of Lancaster is doing the same thing tomorrow night. I would much rather have my taxes go for the services I receive then to NY as a fine.
    Are you saying that the villages are going to create budgets which they believe don't go over the cap, but are putting the new law in place, just in case of a miscalculation?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Are you saying that the villages are going to create budgets which they believe don't go over the cap, but are putting the new law in place, just in case of a miscalculation?
    Correct. If there is a miscalculation and its not within NY's guidelines then we will owe huge fines. This is the villages way of protecting against a fine. From what I heard the calculations for this law is not very cut and dry 2%, its very involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott4 View Post
    Correct. If there is a miscalculation and its not within NY's guidelines then we will owe huge fines. This is the villages way of protecting against a fine. From what I heard the calculations for this law is not very cut and dry 2%, its very involved.
    The village will vote for approval of a budget on Monday with a 3.2% increase in the tax rate which I assume complies with their 2% levy limit.

As mikenold stated in another thread-
    The village of Depew will be approving the 2012-2013 budget on Monday at the regularly scheduled board meeting. The budget will be in compliance with the states 2% cap.

Georgia L Schlager

So your board does not know what it's doing and they want to raise the limit to cover their collective butts. Is that what you are saying?
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    So your board does not know what it's doing and they want to raise the limit to cover their collective butts. Is that what you are saying?
    That may have been their intention but apparently they came in under the tax cap limit and didn't need to override it

Georgia L Schlager

That may have been their intention but apparently they came in under the tax cap limit and didn't need to override it
    We will not override the cap limit. At 2.76 we just squeak under the limit. We did override the limit because we did not want to incur fines for going over in case of an accounting error or some other unforeseen event.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Cut expenses. Do we really need a truck to ride around the village looking for branches? Lancaster village has set days for this to reduce costs. It may sound like pinching the penny-yet many homeowners do that. Better yet disolve the village.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    We will not override the cap limit. At 2.76 we just squeak under the limit. We did override the limit because we did not want to incur fines for going over in case of an accounting error or some other unforeseen event.
    What 2.76% increase?
    2011/12 tax rate for Depew/Cheektowaga was $17.970746 per thousand of assessed valuation
    for 2012/13 tax rate is proposed to be $18.55357 per thousand of assessed valuation which is a 3.2% increase

2011/12 tax rate for Depew/:ancaster was $11.141863 per thousand of assessed valuation
    for 2012/13 tax rate is proposed to be $11.50321 per thousand of assessed valuation which is a 3.2% increase

Georgia L Schlager

What 2.76% increase?
    2011/12 tax rate for Depew/Cheektowaga was $17.970746 per thousand of assessed valuation
    for 2012/13 tax rate is proposed to be $18.55357 per thousand of assessed valuation which is a 3.2% increase

2011/12 tax rate for Depew/:Lancaster was $11.141863 per thousand of assessed valuation
    for 2012/13 tax rate is proposed to be $11.50321 per thousand of assessed valuation which is a 3.2% increase
    The village has it's own budget and the increase is 2.76 I assure you. You have posted the statistics for the town of Cheektowaga/Depew village and the town of Lancaster/Depew village rates here. I pay Cheektowaga town (3.2 increase) , Lancaster School (?) and Depew village (2.76 increase in overall budget and not broken down to Cheektowaga/Lancaster town rates) taxes where I live.

Also, these rates are assessed at a valuation in the tows of Cheektowaga 62% and Lancaster 100%. This does affect the amount ($$) of tax paid but I have found that if I moved my house to the Lancaster side of the village I would save about $400.00 per year as Lancaster does not charge the village residents for Police coverage and Cheektowaga does.

This really brings up a couple of interesting questions. Why does Cheektowaga charge Depew village residents for Police protection? Why does Cheektowaga have a valuation of 62% instead of 100%.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    The village has it's own budget and the increase is 2.76 I assure you. You have posted the statistics for the town of Cheektowaga/Depew village and the town of Lancaster/Depew village rates here. I pay Cheektowaga town (3.2 increase) , Lancaster School (?) and Depew village (2.76 increase in overall budget and not broken down to Cheektowaga/Lancaster town rates) taxes where I live.

Also, these rates are assessed at a valuation in the tows of Cheektowaga 62% and Lancaster 100%. This does affect the amount ($$) of tax paid but I have found that if I moved my house to the Lancaster side of the village I would save about $400.00 per year as Lancaster does not charge the village residents for Police coverage and Cheektowaga does.

This really brings up a couple of interesting questions. Why does Cheektowaga charge Depew village residents for Police protection? Why does Cheektowaga have a valuation of 62% instead of 100%.
    This is the resolution for Monday night-

It seems to state that those are Village tax rates

Georgia L Schlager

Here are the numbers approved in 2011-

2012-

my post-
    What 2.76% increase?

2011/12 tax rate for Depew/:ancaster was $11.141863 per thousand of assessed valuation
    I would say these numbers are one in the same not town tax rates but village tax rates.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information