Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A Pineapple challenges a Hare to a Race

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Go read the examples of these test.
    Which ones were also created by Pearson? (all or just certain years?)

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Are the people who made the 2011 test also the same people who made the test in 2009?
    I don't know...

I don't know...
    Then your demand to fire them doesn't make any sense if you don't know what they've even done... aside from one single question about a pineapple.

What is wrong with the test we took when we were kids?
    Can you honestly say that you remember the questions from your 4th grade standardized English test? Seriously I don't remember those test having a big impact on me. We're talking about 4th grade here. And I would bet that if either of us did get an oddball question back then, our parents probably wouldn't have cared. And as kids most of us probably wouldn't have even told our parents about it anyway. We'd all say "That was weird" and then move on with our lives.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    Then your demand to fire them doesn't make any sense if you don't know what they've even done... aside from one single question about a pineapple.

Can you honestly say that you remember the questions from your 4th grade standardized English test? Seriously I don't remember those test having a big impact on me. We're talking about 4th grade here. And I would bet that if either of us did get an oddball question back then, our parents probably wouldn't have cared. And as kids most of us probably wouldn't have even told our parents about it anyway. We'd all say "That was weird" and then move on with our lives.
    I thought I said this:
    It's really not funny or joke. 10000's of kids are taught items that won't benefit them in adulthood. Or, tested and penalized because of one groups incompetence. I'm curious, did the company that produced these test lose the account yet?
    I didn't demand them to be fired. I asked if they lost the account yet. Exactly what did we pay 32,000,000 for? What value do we receive for 32 million that we weren't receiving with school test in the 70's?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

I don't think a question like that would have been on any test I took in public school. One of the teachers would have pointed that out long before it was in the students hands.

I didn't demand them to be fired.
    Sorry. I guess I have poor reading comprehension...
    I read your quotes (below) to mean that you think they should be fired.

People really need to be fired for this.
    What he should do is fire the idiots who came up with that question.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    People really need to be fired for this.
    What he should do is fire the idiots who came up with that question.
    Yes that is what I meant.

The people involved. Not the company itself. I asked if the company lost the account... Then I questioned why 32 mil was spent on this.

I don't think a question like that would have been on any test I took in public school. One of the teachers would have pointed that out long before it was in the students hands.
    So you're saying any teacher back then would have had time to review the exams well before test-day, and been able to reject it? I don't think that's a correct statement. I think teachers see the tests the same day that students do, and I would bet it was the same way then as it is today. If teachers were able to review this year's tests before they were administered to students then it would raise the risk that they would try to "help" their own students do better on the test (aka - cheat)... especially on tests like these that have more impact on the teachers and schools than it does on the students.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So you're saying any teacher back then would have had time to review the exams well before test-day, and been able to reject it? I don't think that's a correct statement. I think teachers see the tests the same day that students do, and I would bet it was the same way then as it is today. If teachers were able to review this year's tests before they were administered to students then it would raise the risk that they would try to "help" their own students do better on the test (aka - cheat)... especially on tests like these that have more impact on the teachers and schools than it does on the students.
    I"m not referring to the local teachers about the test. I'm talking about the people who are in charge of creating the test. I know the local teachers didn't create the test that the pineapple question was on.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regents_Examinations

The local teachers do not make these test up.

all teachers are local somewhere!

Also the teacher doesn't get the test back. This way the state can play with the numbers and the districts that are supposed to do well, do well. The one's that shouldn't, don't. This way you can't question why your results were what they were. And you can't get the help your kids need becasue you can't see where they are failing. So how can you adapt your teaching? These state tests mean nothing to the students, i have personally seen kids just filling in whatever and be done in 5 minutes becasue these tests count ONLY for the teachers/schools.

Now, i believe you can get only 1 question wrong to be at a level 4. On the ELA.. I could be wrong, but it is close if not.

Next year under the common core standards and the APPR, all subjects, art, technology, band, gym, etc will all have to do testing. A pre, post and mid besides their regular forms of assessment. Even if it is a 20 week course you will have to do all that.. Basically youwill give a test the second day of class, the 6th week and the 19th week. All of which you as the teacher are no longer allowed to grade so they will be sent somewhere else. Another unfunded mandate.. I could write a book..

Yay, more tests to tell us that kids from challenging backgrounds don't do as well on standardized tests...more data anyone?

Not just that, those kids who pass school becasue they go into a trade type boces program will aslo be forced into testing. This was an avenue that kids turned to when traditonal school wansn't working and now, they will be brought right back into it.

This is DR. King and Como, who will run for president and have Dr. King replace arnie duncan.. The writing is on the wall.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information