Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Pineapple challenges a Hare to a Race

Originally posted by gshowell:
    What's going to happen in the suburbs when part of a teacher's evaluation is based on test performance, and a growing number of parents tell their kids not to take the tests. Do you think suburban teachers are going to support this type of evaluation?
    The article also stated that if 5% or more don't take the test, the school would be designated as "in need of improvement". Who wants that? IMO, they should take the test. I always loved taking tests. I skipped school alot but I always came to class to take a test. Now, this old mind isn't the sponge it used to be and I have to write everything down so I don't forget. The young minds should take the test.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    is it possible to get copies of these test to review? Not a sample, the actual test.
    It is not possible to get copies of the test. At this time, the general public is not allowed to see them. Teachers can be fired for discussing or releasing test questions after the test.

Furthermore, there were problems with the 8th and 4th grade math exams this year. One question had two answers and another had no correct answers as I recall (and I'm only saying this because it's been in the press).

So basically, we've got a test that is absurd and not released to the general public afterwards to review. But according to NYS law if a teacher's class does not perform well on these tests after two years (or if enough parents opt out in her class) she can be fired.
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Well that is bs. I paid for the test along with 100000's of other tax payers.

If possible can any teacher who cares about the kids in our community get a copy of the test to the Buffalo News or any other news outlet? Photo copy the test and mail it in.

IF teachers and others say "It's for the kids" then prove it.

Another teacher from Lancaster told me some of the questions had multiple answers and/or confusing questions years previous. This isn't the first time. Someone said a company was paid over 30,000,000 to produce these test.

Well that is bs. I paid for the test along with 100000's of other tax payers.

If possible can any teacher who cares about the kids in our community get a copy of the test to the Buffalo News or any other news outlet? Photo copy the test and mail it in.

IF teachers and others say "It's for the kids" then prove it.

Another teacher from Lancaster told me some of the questions had multiple answers and/or confusing questions years previous. This isn't the first time. Someone said a company was paid over 30,000,000 to produce these test.
    Res, some poor teacher would lose their job if they did that. The Buffalo News already reported the mistakes and the costs of the test provider.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Res, some poor teacher would lose their job if they did that. The Buffalo News already reported the mistakes and the costs of the test provider.
    No they wouldn't. I wouldn't tattle tail, would you? They can send it in anonymously.

No they wouldn't. I wouldn't tattle tail, would you? They can send it in anonymously.
    I wouldn't tattle but there would be an investigation to find the source of the leak. I don't have a "need to know" every question on the exam. I'm satisfied that they are not counting the 6 questions related to the Pineapple and the Hare, the 1-3rd grade question with 2 right answers and the 1-8th grade question with no right answer. I just hope the students who took the Pineapple/Hare test didn't spend too much time trying to figure out the answers to those 6 questions that they didn't have time to finish the rest of the test with answers that they knew.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I wouldn't tattle but there would be an investigation to find the source of the leak. I don't have a "need to know" every question on the exam. I'm satisfied that they are not counting the 6 questions related to the Pineapple and the Hare, the 1-3rd grade question with 2 right answers and the 1-8th grade question with no right answer. I just hope the students who took the Pineapple/Hare test didn't spend too much time trying to figure out the answers to those 6 questions that they didn't have time to finish the rest of the test with answers that they knew.
    I don't agree with you. From past experience we have learned that "government" usually tries to cover up their faults and mistakes. We simple pay far too much not to have answers.

I don't agree with you. From past experience we have learned that "government" usually tries to cover up their faults and mistakes. We simple pay far too much not to have answers.
    I guess we can agree to disagree.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I guess we can agree to disagree.
    Exactly.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Give me one good reason why the general public can not review past test

Freedom of information. can't you just request a copy it is a public record
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So grampabob,

What reason would there be not to be able to review past tests ?

Don't these people realize they work for us?

do they repeat the test or parts of the test year after year>If so that might be a good reason. I thought the tests were different every year so no reason not to release old tests
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    do they repeat the test or parts of the test year after year>If so that might be a good reason. I thought the tests were different every year so no reason not to release old tests
    I think it's a new test every year but Bannister would know.

Georgia L Schlager

It's a new test every year. Until last year, they used to release the old test and we could use them as study guides. Last year they kept the test and I believe last year was the first year we had to sign confidentiality agreements.

I can think of one glaring reason why they wouldn't want to release the tests. When the public actually sees how bad some of the questions are, maybe it wouldn't seem like such a great idea anymore to use them as teacher evaluation tools. Just sayin'.

Pearson, the same company that got the contract to write these expensive pineapple tests, is apparently going to help fund Cuomo's 2016 presidental bid.
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information