Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Wheelers

Two Wheelers

Looks like we have a lot of riders.
    Nice to argue with people and see you still may have something in common.
    No biker, you will not see me trailering to Sturgis or Daytona.
    I would love to go but I would ride if I did. Unfortunatley my better half dosen't share my passion for two wheels.
    I have become a day tripper in my later years and do most of my riding in the WNY country side.
    I have ridden up to five hundred miles in one day just kicking around the southern tier and northen Pennsylvania.
    Day trips such as the rock and roll hall in Cleveland and most bike events within a hundred miles.
    I drive a new sportster1200 custom now with the rubbermounted engine and I like it just fine much more comfortable than the old 75 sportster I had and handles much better. Fourth Harley I've owned , but the first new one.
    You will notice I don't post much on here in the warm weather, now you know the reason.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Citymouse:

Here's an overnight ride you might be able to talk the missus into.

About an hour below the Pennsy line is a bed n breakfast I saw advertised as a "biker friendly" joint. Really nice. Never saw another bike there. I think the owner (whom I've never met in 10 years) rides.

It's called the Magoffin Inn. Can't remember the town. It's the county seat off of I-79. Used to be some rich guy's house in the 1800s. It was the favorite of my youngest when she was little, 'cause they have a basket of single-serving potato chip bags outside each room.

Any place with that kind of amenity just has to have class, right?

Probably my favorite place is a motorcycle-only campground about twenty miles outside of Asheville.

It's just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. They serve breakfast and dinner in a covered, outdoor picnic area.

They've diverted a mountain stream into a man-made pond. Stocked with trout. The owner has little vending machines with trout food for a nickle. My youngest used to make the whole pond boil with trout going after her offerings.

No fishing allowed. And on Wednesdays, the kitchen offers fresh trout. For pre-paid orders. Custom caught and fried up.

Campfires every night. You get to chew the fat with riders from Virginia to Alabama.

And one lost Yankee.

I am dying to get out on mine!!!
    I WISH I had a Harley, but I have a nice bike anyway... it is a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 500. It's got the in-line twin, low seat clearance and 4 gal. tank... balls and beauty.
    What month do you think we are finally going to get a break? I don't like getting my bike out until there's been a good rain to wash the salt and crap off of the road, but I am jones-in'!
    jen
    "Dream as if you'll live forever,
    Live as if you'll die tomorrow."
    -James Dean

I left on my first trip last year on March 25th. Didn't leave ice befind till Harrisburg.

Don't think I'll be leaving till May this year.

You are a lot hardier than me. I will wait for it to warm up to about sixty then wait for that first soaking rain to get the salt dust of the road.
    hen I was younger I would go out earlier sometimes I got caught in a wet snow. I am too old for that now, and waht you pay for these things even a sportster, you don't want the salt near them.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

Yeah, I've often thought that one of the wierdest sights is a bike with salt stains on it.

I don't like riding through that or the cold. But if you can get to the Carolinas or Mississippi in April, you can pick up our idea of Spring about six weeks earlier.

And you have to time it right to catch the rhodys in bloom along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Re: Two Wheelers

just fine much more comfortable than the old 75 sportster I had and handles much better. [/B][/QUOTE]

Finding a basket case sportster, was the real fun days back in the 60's. Sorry, I no longer ride guys. Bad back and legs but I road in the 60's and road with 2 MC clubs..I had my fun days...I do miss it but life, is life, vroom vroom !!
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

We've posted about some favorite rides, here's a different one.

Has anyone ever ridden through Nevada?

I was expecting something like the Ponderosa, you know mountains and pine trees.

I rode from Salt Lake City to Reno. Through the salt flats. That road made Transit look like a meandering Indian trail. Straight as straight could be.

I could understand why they did the early A bomb tests there. That place probably didn't look any different in the before and after shots.

I pulled over as I was passing the Humboldt Mountains (any relation to our Humboldt? Anyone). I looked east and west down the interstate. Nothing was moving; no cars in site. I looked north and south. Nothing. No buildings. No trees. No tumbleweeds. No cattle. Nothing but dirt and rocks as far as the eye could see.

I figured if I broke down there, I'd better expect a long wait.

Which is why I don't ride a Harley.

(I couldn't resist)

The old Harley's maybe, the new ones are much better, much more reliable.
    I think the area your reffering to is a cell phone dead zone as well.

moonshine
    I like riding my yamaha vino (49cc), but I wouldn't mind a vespa.

Then again, these babies would be a blast:

There's even a cupholder for your beer.

moonshine
    oops...accidentally hit the submit button before I was done...

The NEW Diamo Velux 150

A radical departure from anything you've seen before.

Retractable Roof (Folds into trunk area)

Automatic Transmission / ABS Brakes

AM/FM/CD/MP3 Player with Remote

4 Weatherproof Speakers

Cigarette lighter / Power Point

Windshield Wiper / Washer

Huge Trunk with Cargo Net

Remote Alarm System and Engine Starter

4 Way Emergency Flasher

ALL THIS FOR JUST $3999

Moonshine:

I never much cared for the smaller bikes. Once aboard, I'd want to take off on a trip.

But it sure is amazing what you can get for $4k.

Wait, I just remembered. On a dare, some 300 lb guy did the Iron Butt Rally on a scooter. Took him over a day to get over the Front Range.

Citymouse:

Yes, the new Harleys are much better. You no longer have oil pans to catch the drips on the showroom floor. But it's kind of scary to think that it took them 45 years to adopt rubber engine mounts.

Rode

Originally posted by biker
    We've posted about some favorite rides, here's a different one.

Has anyone ever ridden through Nevada?

I was expecting something like the Ponderosa, you know mountains and pine trees.

I rode from Salt Lake City to Reno. Through the salt flats. That road made Transit look like a meandering Indian trail. Straight as straight could be.

I could understand why they did the early A bomb tests there. That place probably didn't look any different in the before and after shots.

I pulled over as I was passing the Humboldt Mountains (any relation to our Humboldt? Anyone). I looked east and west down the interstate. Nothing was moving; no cars in site. I looked north and south. Nothing. No buildings. No trees. No tumbleweeds. No cattle. Nothing but dirt and rocks as far as the eye could see.

I figured if I broke down there, I'd better expect a long wait.

Which is why I don't ride a Harley.

(I couldn't resist)

I rode that old Route 66...I wont say with who, it was 1967 when times were nicer, sweeter, and safer to ride the roads. Today, those little old ladys are the ones you need to watch out for, they kill you...lol

I wish I could ride again but time changes all things and I could never sit on a bike long enough to enjoy the ride. Heck I can't even walk long enough to enjoy the walk...maybe in my next life I'll be able to ride til I'm 90....lol
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Hey Riven:

Any guy who's up at 4:00 AM sure has a lot on the ball.

What parts of 66 did you ride?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information