Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Lackawanna School Board Shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    How does it feel to be John's big biatch Dave?
    How do you feel when you look at yourself in the mirror and realize you've done this to yourself for a $30,000/yr job??
    Are you proud of yourself???
    Boy oh boy Greggy , I hope Dave Joyce doesnt find out its you posting this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lackawanna #1 View Post
    How is it a school boards fault for low test scores,how is it that they dont care about kids, maybe if you took some time and really looked into the factors that contribute to the rankings, you would have a better understanding of why the district ranks where it does. Your ignorance to the process and political agenda does nothing but hurt the kids. And before you rant on and say im on the school board ,please dont because im not. Take the time out of your day to go and observe the middle school and high school for a day or two like i did and you will have a whole new perspective on why we are we we are at, along with the way the schools are graded and what factors into the ranking. Then maybe you will have a opinion that is worth listening to. You are the one that doesnt care about the kids , all you care about is you political agenda!
    How do you get out of that that I don't care about the kids.

Here is how the school board is at fault for low test scores: They create a hyper-political environment where good teachers are either afraid to make a wrong move, or they leave for other districts. That hurts the kids.

They create an environment where morale is so low that no one wants to be there because unless they get on board with the board's non-educational agenda, they are threatened with loss of tenure, loss of job, or moved around to make their lives miserable.

Their collective ineptness drag down the district because they don't let the professionals do their job to the best of their ability. Oh yeah, and they hire unqualified people in a lot of cases. Or neuter them like they have our superintendent.

And for the record, I never thought you were on the school board because your grammar is far too impressive.

And by the way, I never mentioned test scores. And my "political agenda" is for the kids. If that means working to defeat self serving board members and replace them with board members who will work for the students, residents and taxpayers, then so be it. That is what the state commissioner told us to do when we contacted him - elect better board members. Yes, I took the time to meet with the state commissioner, not just stop and look around the middle school and high school when I was on break from my teacher aide job, or maintenance position!

[QUOTE=lackawanna #1;915946]How is it a school boards fault for low test scores,how is it that they dont care about kids, maybe if you took some time and really looked into the factors that contribute to the rankings, you would have a better understanding of why the district ranks where it does. Your ignorance to the process and political agenda does nothing but hurt the kids. And before you rant on and say im on the school board ,please dont because im not. Take the time out of your day to go and observe the middle school and high school for a day or two like i did and you will have a whole new perspective on why we are we we are at, along with the way the schools are graded and what factors into the ranking. Then maybe you will have a opinion that is worth listening to. You are the one that doesnt care about the kids , all you care about is you political agenda![/QUOTE

Your statements expressed are the same mantra of every politician to blame others for their obvious failures. Here is the point. If you have made no noticeable change in 16 years then get out. Giving them more time will not make an iota of difference. Your stupidity about the root causes are the reason no change is ever made. The Board is responsible to hire the best qualified person to do the job. They set the goals and agenda for the district and should lead by bringing in the people who can do the job. This Board has repeatedly ignored the best interest of the children to satisfy their own political agenda by rewarding their backers and family with jobs or by protecting those employees who should have been terminated just because they are friends.

We should assume with your statements you made that there is nothing that can be done to change the results of the district because it is the fault of the children. That is the farthest thing from the truth. Tell me what this Board did that has made any difference? And don't tell about fixing up a physical structure. That is something that should have been done over the years it is called common maintenance.

We have not made this political you have by not recognizing failure. People that want to see change are not at fault they are the ones that understand that the children deserve better. It is our tax dollars that are thrown out of the window to satisfy an agenda that does has not served the best interest of the children.

Taking more time to observe the obvious is a waste of time since it is set in the environment that has been laid down by people that don't know what they are doing. Every district is measured by the same standards. Should we therefore have special standards for thoses districts that cannot meet those standards. How about adding another catagory to the standards such as the hiring of just family and friends. We would certainly would improve our ranking because we just hire family and friends. I would guess we would be number one or two in WNY and not near the bottom.

[QUOTE=getalife123;915975]
    How is it a school boards fault for low test scores,how is it that they dont care about kids, maybe if you took some time and really looked into the factors that contribute to the rankings, you would have a better understanding of why the district ranks where it does. Your ignorance to the process and political agenda does nothing but hurt the kids. And before you rant on and say im on the school board ,please dont because im not. Take the time out of your day to go and observe the middle school and high school for a day or two like i did and you will have a whole new perspective on why we are we we are at, along with the way the schools are graded and what factors into the ranking. Then maybe you will have a opinion that is worth listening to. You are the one that doesnt care about the kids , all you care about is you political agenda![/QUOTE

Your statements expressed are the same mantra of every politician to blame others for their obvious failures. Here is the point. If you have made no noticeable change in 16 years then get out. Giving them more time will not make an iota of difference. Your stupidity about the root causes are the reason no change is ever made. The Board is responsible to hire the best qualified person to do the job. They set the goals and agenda for the district and should lead by bringing in the people who can do the job. This Board has repeatedly ignored the best interest of the children to satisfy their own political agenda by rewarding their backers and family with jobs or by protecting those employees who should have been terminated just because they are friends.

We should assume with your statements you made that there is nothing that can be done to change the results of the district because it is the fault of the children. That is the farthest thing from the truth. Tell me what this Board did that has made any difference? And don't tell about fixing up a physical structure. That is something that should have been done over the years it is called common maintenance.

We have not made this political you have by not recognizing failure. People that want to see change are not at fault they are the ones that understand that the children deserve better. It is our tax dollars that are thrown out of the window to satisfy an agenda that does has not served the best interest of the children.

Taking more time to observe the obvious is a waste of time since it is set in the environment that has been laid down by people that don't know what they are doing. Every district is measured by the same standards. Should we therefore have special standards for thoses districts that cannot meet those standards. How about adding another catagory to the standards such as the hiring of just family and friends. We would certainly would improve our ranking because we just hire family and friends. I would guess we would be number one or two in WNY and not near the bottom.
    Please explain to everyone seeing you know so much how a hiring of a maintenance person,custodian aor a teachers aide would affect the ranking of the school district, like i said you have no other agenda but politics, do you know what goes into the ranking to come up with the resuls , do some home work then you can talk,Our kids are not stupid as you suggest, there is a lot more non sense that computes into the ranking. we spend how much per student? not average per student, take a look at the exact numbers on a 1 on 1 student ratio
    just to begin.

How about the families that move here because of the services we offer in special ed, are we failing them? How about the non english speaking kids that come to our district for 1 day and are expected to take the same state exams as a kid in Orchard Park or Williamsville and the grades get figured into our ranking. hmmmmmm How about the number of single family parents here compared to othe towns,cities. Noone is home to read to them,unlike you richer communities,that sets us behind before they even enter Kintergarden.

Now some of these posts are getting ridiculous!
    First the BOE does not hire. Their power is in their "vote." Each Superintendent from Nellie King, Mark Balen and now Nick Korach will be held accountable someday to a higher power for the "deals" they made that they knew were not in the best interest of the district. One of these people would go up the seniority list and fire everyone below to get to the one he really wanted gone. Just shameful.

Yes, the budget should be voted down. That is the responsible thing to do. The children will NOT be hurt!!! PERSONNEL is the highes cost of every district and given the number of employees to the ratio of students that is where the cuts should be. The PEOPLE allow the board to hold them hostage by threatening to cuts sports, activities etc.

WHO said that is where the money should be cut? NOT the state or any school policies. Clearly it is the BOARD who decides how to hurt the PARENTS, the citizens and the voters. Last year every district but Lackawanna made deep cuts. Lackawanna knows they must protect their family and friends like a surplus of teacher aides hired at $30,000 plus benfits.

To think voting no is wrong means you have NO idea what you are up against. A no vote this year will force their hand to cut PERSONNEL - the biggest expense. If this does not happen people have no one to blame but themelves. What you permit you promote.... We are close to a day where school as we know it will be obsolete. Everywhere K-12 on line learning is revolutionizing education. A building is NOT where learning happens. Learning happens outside that environment. Technology is changing everything so do not get married to the picture you have in your mind or what you see....change is in the horizon and Lackawanna most assuredly will be far behind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dumb does as dumb says

[QUOTE=lackawanna #1;915983]
    Quote Originally Posted by getalife123 View Post

Please explain to everyone seeing you know so much how a hiring of a maintenance person,custodian aor a teachers aide would affect the ranking of the school district, like i said you have no other agenda but politics, do you know what goes into the ranking to come up with the resuls , do some home work then you can talk,Our kids are not stupid as you suggest, there is a lot more non sense that computes into the ranking. we spend how much per student? not average per student, take a look at the exact numbers on a 1 on 1 student ratio
    just to begin.

Are you kidding me? Are you insinuating that a Teacher Aide does not have a direct effect on the student's learning? That is exactly what we pay them to do. Everybody that works within the district effects the learning environment from the janitor to the Administrators. If you don't believe that then you are naive.

I never said that the students were stupid on the contrary, I stated that the low grades are a direct result of the failure of the Board and Administration that has not given these children the chance to succeed. It is the Boards primary responsibility to HIRE the best qualified people and establish an environment for the teachers to really teach without fear of reprisal. It is the Administrations responsibility to evaluate the teachers and develop the staff to create an internal environment for learning. Tell me that you believe that this is the case here. You see testing to a standard is just a measurement of the progress of a student. It is not a label. It is the direct responsibility of the Board to see that those standards are met and if not have a plan to improve them. It is just that simple and it is also their failure since they don't seem to be able to move the bar. I have not seen one thing that this Board has directly done to improve those measurements. Every single person in this school district should ask themselves what can I do to help the students. In your case you have no obvious answers except to blame someone other than those that are responsible. Therefore you are a part of the problem.

Obviously we have behavioral problems, absenteeism or special needs problems within the district. If the current administration cannot handle those situations and resolve them then they need to be replaced. That goes from the janitor to the Superintendent.

How about the families that move here because of the services we offer in special ed, are we failing them? How about the non english speaking kids that come to our district for 1 day and are expected to take the same state exams as a kid in Orchard Park or Williamsville and the grades get figured into our ranking. hmmmmmm How about the number of single family parents here compared to othe towns,cities. Noone is home to read o them,unlike you richer communities,that sets us behind before they even enter Kintergarden.
    OK, Sue. Those young kids that you claim are non-english, speak many languages including English. All kids entering kindergarten are taught to read. When a teacher here has a student that they don't know what to do with they are labeled SE. Ask the nurses or social workers. The SE money comes from the state. Hasn't that department been under investigation by the state? Every district has ESL & SE. Your just looking for excuses to divert from the problems. In todays world there are single parents everywhere. Most households today require both parents to work. Are you saying those kids are disadvanged camparison to what. Once a child learns to read and is motived by a good teacher they will take the responisiblty to read for themselves.

My parents spoke another language when they came to America. They did not read to me nor do my homework. They both learned to read and write English from their teachers back then. There was no ESL or SE back then. Both of them were very successful and I always felt that I had the advantage because I spoke multi-languages. It did not hinder my education nor those of my 3 children. It seems that people like you look down on our kind of people when in fact we laugh at people that are limited by their ability to speak just one language.

Excusses will not correct the problems in the district. Thinking that those children are the cause of the problem is laughable. People that can't or don't do their jobs and make excusses for their failure are the problem. What is your point?

Those top five school districts in WNY also have a diverse population. All schools have programs for English as a second language. Really..your position is very weak.You know what they say... liars figure and figures lie...

Yes Lackawanna attracts special education students but NOT for the reasons you think you know. WHAT PARENT WOULD CHOOSE A FAILING SCHOOL SYSTEM FOR THEIR CHILD...REGULAR OR SPECIAL EDUCATION????

Here is what you cannot argue. When students finally get to the exit door at Grade 12 only 50% cross the finish line and worse yet the ones that do go on to college most of those never finish a 4 year degree. That is how poorly prepared they were to rub elbows with their peers from all of those other school districts. A few do well but they never needed the system and would have succeeded no matter what! WE FAIL OUR KIDS MISERABLY!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by getalife123 View Post
    OK, Sue. Those young kids that you claim are non-english, speak many languages including English. All kids entering kindergarten are taught to read. When a teacher here has a student that they don't know what to do with they are labeled SE. Ask the nurses or social workers. The SE money comes from the state. Hasn't that department been under investigation by the state? Every district has ESL & SE. Your just looking for excuses to divert from the problems. In todays world there are single parents everywhere. Most households today require both parents to work. Are you saying those kids are disadvanged camparison to what. Once a child learns to read and is motived by a good teacher they will take the responisiblty to read for themselves.

My parents spoke another language when they came to America. They did not read to me nor do my homework. They both learned to read and write English from their teachers back then. There was no ESL or SE back then. Both of them were very successful and I always felt that I had the advantage because I spoke multi-languages. It did not hinder my education nor those of my 3 children. It seems that people like you look down on our kind of people when in fact we laugh at people that are limited by their ability to speak just one language.

Excusses will not correct the problems in the district. Thinking that those children are the cause of the problem is laughable. People that can't or don't do their jobs and make excusses for their failure are the problem. What is your point?
    Sue? let me guess Sue Stan, wow, maybe you check with her at Nelsons ridge restuarant where i believe she works every Sunday til around 4 or 5 pm.

Post Say Cheese!

Defence mechanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaIn Freudian psychoanalytic theory, defence mechanisms (or defense mechanisms) are unconscious psychological strategies brought into play by various entities ...
    Structural model: The id, ego ... - Theories and classifications
    15 Common Defense Mechanisms |
    Oct 30, 2010 – In some areas of psychology (especially in psychodynamic theory), psychologists talk about defense mechanisms, or manners in which we ...
    Defense Mechanisms - Types of Defense Mechanisms
    According to Sigmund Freud's theory of personality, defense mechanisms help the ego cope with anxiety. Learn more about the ten defense mechanisms ...
    Top references for defense mechanisms:

Denial
    Projection
    Rationalization
    Reaction Formation
    Repression
    Displacement
    Regression
    Sublimation
    Suppression
    and I will add my own.........RETALIATION! Has been going on in LA so long that it is generational! Believed normal activity by some.

Lackawanna has been held back too long because of the spoiled brats who take their ball and go home when the game isn't being played out to THEIR advantage! Time for some people to grow up and face the facts.......Martin Rd. subdivision is a ghost town, there are 4 For Sale signs across the street on Martin, and outside young families as a rule would never buy a home here because of the school rankings. We have no sharp shopping centers and City Hall looks as if it is from ......forget it, another topic!

Face facts lack1 and company.....yes there are multiple reasons why we have declined so rapidly......if you all are so dedicated and in it "for the kids", then quit passing the buck and put in a new regime to see what they can do to push-pull LSD out of the swamp it has been going in for close to TWO decades. Something has to give! And they are called nepotism and patronage. And the power-mongers who hold it over them!

How about an outside agency hired by BUSINESS people and Grand-parents to do a time study/flow chart analysis of EVERY position and in EVERY LA school?!?
    If you guys have nothing to fear....then do it, I am sure the results will eventually be very cost-effective to ALL parties in LA!

You always seem to know Sue's schedule and employment, you have mentioned it many times in your posts, OK Dave.

Post Historically.......here we go again!

Does anyone else see a need for a push to a FIVE member LSD-BOE again?!?

Politics has reared its' ugly head too many times, why when one retired teacher years ago (not Mr. Sanders) was running he did not even know our kids did not have enough text-books to go around in certain classes.
    I would love to have a BIG meeting with the bigger kids and staff to dig all the dirt out but they probably would be too scared to open up. Sad. For all.

Post Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by literal View Post
    Now some of these posts are getting ridiculous!
    First the BOE does not hire. Their power is in their "vote." Each Superintendent from Nellie King, Mark Balen and now Nick Korach will be held accountable someday to a higher power for the "deals" they made that they knew were not in the best interest of the district. One of these people would go up the seniority list and fire everyone below to get to the one he really wanted gone. Just shameful.

Yes, the budget should be voted down. That is the responsible thing to do. The children will NOT be hurt!!! PERSONNEL is the highes cost of every district and given the number of employees to the ratio of students that is where the cuts should be. The PEOPLE allow the board to hold them hostage by threatening to cuts sports, activities etc.

WHO said that is where the money should be cut? NOT the state or any school policies. Clearly it is the BOARD who decides how to hurt the PARENTS, the citizens and the voters. Last year every district but Lackawanna made deep cuts. Lackawanna knows they must protect their family and friends like a surplus of teacher aides hired at $30,000 plus benfits.

To think voting no is wrong means you have NO idea what you are up against. A no vote this year will force their hand to cut PERSONNEL - the biggest expense. If this does not happen people have no one to blame but themelves. What you permit you promote.... We are close to a day where school as we know it will be obsolete. Everywhere K-12 on line learning is revolutionizing education. A building is NOT where learning happens. Learning happens outside that environment. Technology is changing everything so do not get married to the picture you have in your mind or what you see....change is in the horizon and Lackawanna most assuredly will be far behind.
    What else is new........So lots of poli-tricks being played on ALL sides! This contributes to why there has been a steady downward spiral in LA schools for many-many years now. Shame, I hope they are all enjoying the fruits of their pillaging.
    Can you do us a favor and post a list of the Super's job duties and the BOE'S?
    Thanks!

Talking OK.......we know who lack1 is now.....so,

Boy oh boy Greggy , I hope Dave Joyce doesnt find out its you posting this stuff.

Who is Greggy?

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information