Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposed garbage tote meeting.

Proposed garbage tote meeting.

This is my response to the Metro article about Mrs. Holtz garbage toes meeting:

After reading about this first meeting regarding the town of Cheektowaga new tote system made me shack my head while reading the article. First, the town will be spending money in a haphazard way by forcing town residents to use these totes. I have a 50 gallon tote I use which I bought for my home, and I use it not but many of my neighbors have theirs as well maybe not what I use but they do have cans, and you know what many of them just put out the garbage as the bag only because they are too lazy to use a tote or a can.

So the town ,and Mary Holtz wants to force me to use there town tote well Mrs. Holtz why don’t you pave me street it needs it instead of spending money on dumb projects like totes. Sure you can force the towns people to store them in their garages but mark my words you will not force residents to use them weekly unless you place a fine attached to the totes for not using them weekly. Otherwise, the rat problems will continue, and you would have spent money that could have gone to repaving my street, and other streets maybe you can finish the north creek drive project by paving the street the right way instead of keeping it lumpy.

But it seems Mrs Holtz you are bent on forcing the town to use something like Washington is forcing the country to accept things it doesn’t want. I am one town resident who doesn’t want a tote system because what about the elderly have you thought about them. Many can’t drag out their own totes to the street for pick up shall we just end their lives to make it more acceptable for you to have your tote system in place. Of course not, that would be a liberal demarcate thought process. What you should do is offer this system to those residents of the town who wants to use them, and leave the rest of us alone.

Even the article in the Metro you failed to cover grass clippings, shrubs, tree limbs, and other yard debris us home owners put of each week during the summer months. Are yo7u suggesting we will need to BUY more than one tote I really like other people who likes to spend my money when I am not looking makes me feel all warm inside. Also, your www.tocny.com does not exist it is a advertisement site that has noting about this tote information therefore stop blowing smoke over the towns people. I will make a point to be at the next meeting.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Some ornery Amherst residents made the same complaint when totes first came to Amherst. Less than a year after the totes came to Amherst 99% of the residents were happy they did. The other 1% were the jerks we wished would move out of town anyway.

Smaller sized totes are available for the elderly or infirm.

Here's a thought - why don't you offer to take out the totes for a neighbor who is elderly or infirm instead of complaining about the totes?

I take out my neighbors garbage and I'll be happy that I only have to take out one tote for her instead of those old non-wheeled cans she has.

I wonder how does this elderly today get her garbage out?

I want to see what the new santiation contract looks like If we are getting totes probably giving the Union everything they want for the extras hrs they are going to have to work

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post

Even the article in the Metro you failed to cover grass clippings, shrubs, tree limbs, and other yard debris us home owners put of each week during the summer months. Are yo7u suggesting we will need to BUY more than one tote I really like other people who likes to spend my money when I am not looking makes me feel all warm inside. Also, your www.tocny.com does not exist it is a advertisement site that has noting about this tote information therefore stop blowing smoke over the towns people. I will make a point to be at the next meeting.
    I don't think yard waste pick up will change. You still put it in either uncovered containers or paper yard waste bags. You can use your old cans for yard waste now.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I don't think yard waste pick up will change. You still put it in either uncovered containers or paper yard waste bags. You can use your old cans for yard waste now.
    Correct, per the meeting. It also is a done deal, so the meetings are just window dressing.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    I want to see what the new santiation contract looks like If we are getting totes probably giving the Union everything they want for the extras hrs they are going to have to work
    What extra hours? From what I hear they can put in 3 hours and go home. Is this true or not?

Will the totes cause them to work a full 8 hour day now?

Wny once agian from what you heard is totally wrong you are just the man of mis info the workers are there 6 hours,which it say in the contract try getting your info right next time thank you

To be fair, the workday will necessarily be longer as the totes take longer to empty using the newly outfitted garbage trucks (unlike a regular garbage can that is just dumped into the truck), (the taxpayers will be charged so that all trucks will be outfitted to handle the tote pickup arm).

Also, they should be able to cut the number of men per vehicle as the new truck tote pickup arm is a one man operation.

In my opinion totes are the way to go. More garbage per can. Less compensation costs due to the mechanical arm doing the heavy lifting. Less men per truck. Hopefully, the ongoing negotiations will address the issue of minimum workers on the town payroll (I believe this is currently 150). I am sure that Mary Holtz and the board are aware and doing the best they can with these issues. We really need to give them a chance to prove themselves.
    Last edited by mikenold; April 2nd, 2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: clarify
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

It will probably still be 2 men on the back of the truck. This way they can do both sides of the street.
    Buffalo has the same thing 2 men on the back

It will be that how most towns do it

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    To be fair, the workday will necessarily be longer as the totes take longer to empty using the newly outfitted garbage trucks (unlike a regular garbage can that is just dumped into the truck), (the taxpayers will be charged so that all trucks will be outfitted to handle the tote pickup arm).

Also, they should be able to cut the number of men per vehicle as the new truck tote pickup arm is a one man operation.
    there have been rumors (and let me repeat just rumors) that our newly elected businessman, Jerry Kaminsky, is pushing to have his company (Kaminky Trucking) get the business to modify the currrent truck fleet to accomodate the totes. anyone know if this is rumor or fact?

Quote Originally Posted by SabreTooth View Post
    there have been rumors (and let me repeat just rumors) that our newly elected businessman, Jerry Kaminsky, is pushing to have his company (Kaminky Trucking) get the business to modify the currrent truck fleet to accomodate the totes. anyone know if this is rumor or fact?
    I think the mechanics for the town would do it. Just purchase the equipment and they put them on

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreTooth View Post
    Who did they buy the trucks from?

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    I think the mechanics for the town would do it. Just purchase the equipment and they put them on
    i have not heard any talk about the mechanics for the town modifying the trucks. there is still going to be some monetary expense for putting the equipment on. my question is: is it true Kaminsky Trucking will be putting the arms on the trucks?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information