Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Fire Hall?

Another Fire Hall?

Lets try and have an intelligent blog about the proposed New Hall for the Boston Fire Company.

From what I understand the Boston Fire Company wants to build another Fire Hall next to the Brick one on Mill Street.

I am up in the air about it.

I understand the need for Fire Protection but I dont want to pay increases in taxes every year for the three fire company's to compete for who has the nicest hall and the biggest trucks..

Does "A Step Above" ring a bell?

The fire company is not building an extravigant fancy fire hall like what was built in the north end of town. It is a simple steel building with 4 bays, no big fancy banquet hall, no fancy bar, they are still going to use the current fire hall for everything other than storage of their trucks. The only reason they are proposing the building is that new fire trucks are getting bigger and taller and they are out growing the small bays they have now. They have a rescue truck, an engine, a 4x4 brush fire truck and an ATV with a trailer that currently stays outside in the weather. this is all in a current 2 bay garage. If they get a call for something that requires the atv or brush truck to respond first they have to pull out the truck in front of it first which can cost time.

As for increasing taxes, this is not that expensive of a building from what they described. I also talked to one of the members about this because I had lots of questions at first also. He said they were putting everything they could into it to make it more efficient to save on utilities and such. They are going to be using in floor heating, high efficiency lights, things like that.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    As for increasing taxes, this is not that expensive of a building from what they described. I also talked to one of the members about this because I had lots of questions at first also. He said they were putting everything they could into it to make it more efficient to save on utilities and such. They are going to be using in floor heating, high efficiency lights, things like that.
    Take the cost increases for some of the "high efficiency" items and see if pay back is reasonable. One opinion I have is stay away from solar panels. Payback takes decades in some cases.

Universal Steel Buildings to Supply and Erect Local Community Fire Hall

http://ohiotwpfire.com/

Universal Steel Buildings has contracted to supply and erect an Olympia Steel Buildings pre-engineered steel building to house a new fire hall for the Ohio Township Volunteer Fire Company in Southwestern Pennsylvania. Construction of the steel building is to begin on January 19, 2011. The new fire station will be approximately 9,000 sq. ft. and contain garage space for fire trucks and fire fighting equipment, offices, training and meeting rooms, two bunkrooms, a lounge and kitchen, a fitness facility and other amenities.

“We supply and erect Olympia Steel Buildings metal building systems in every US State, in Canada and all over the world,” states Arnold Davis, president of Universal Steel Buildings, “and we have many overseas projects in such places as Turkey, Russia, Turkmenistan and Afghanistan. However, there is great satisfaction in making a difference in our local community. The new Olympia Steel Buildings fire hall will continue to serve the community well, as had the original building built in the 1950’s. It is our opportunity to make a difference in our local community.”
    “The new fire station will be a ‘Green’ building,” added Davis. “Not only are pre-engineered steel buildings inherently Green – state-of-the-art steel buildings are energy efficient and offer innovative building designs that can help qualify for LEED - we are also using crushed concrete from the old building as a base for construction of the new pre-engineered steel building.”

Custom Built Steel Fire Stations To Protect Those Who Protect Us

The Jewel of Your Community

Steel fire station buildings & metal fire hallsFirefighters work hard to ensure the safety of their community’s residents is top priority. Guarantee them the same security with a strong, sturdy and dependable fire station from which they can operate.

Metal fire station buildings promise spectacular strength and phenomenal durability that is sure to be the jewel of your community, all at an affordable price that won’t break the bank.

Compared to other building materials, steel is the most cost-effective option on the market.

Just because your fire station is made out of steel doesn’t mean it needs to look like a warehouse. Choose from any number of exterior finishes to complement the rest of your community’s overall architectural style, from brick to stucco, siding or even stone.

STEEL BUILDINGS FOR GOVERNMENT

For over 30 years, Prime Steel buildings has been supplying Federal, State and municipal government agencies. Whether you need a water treatment facility for the department of prisons, steel classroom buildings for a local school district or a metal building fire-station, we can accommodate your needs. If there is an emergency and a building is needed immediately, we can deliver on a short lead time with our government contractor program, which allows Fast Track Production Scheduling.

Our engineers can design your structure from 30� to 250� in width and 20� to 1000� in length. Every pre-engineered metal building is pre-cut, pre-punched and pre-welded for simple bolt together construction. This allows tremendous savings in labor and results in construction costs up to 40% less than conventional construction. This allows every government agency to maximize their building budget.

Our metal buildings can be designed for the heaviest snowloads and to withstand up to 160 mph hurricane force winds; they are also laboratory tested and state approved for the Florida hurricane zone code. Every steel building comes with 3 sets of stamped, certified engineer drawings for your state and can be designed to meet the codes for public emergency facilities.

We offer 12 standard colors of sheeting and trim to choose from or our engineers can custom design the exterior to accommodate special facades, wainscoting or stucco requirements. Our 40 year limited warranty on our siliconized polyester baked-on enamel paint means years of maintenance free service.

Give us a call today and discover why government agencies rely on Prime Steel buildings for their building needs.

So how many brush fires suffered in response time due to this overcrowding ?? Everybody knows we have lots of them each year.

I know it's confidential, but for discussion sake, just an estimate - say - within 20 for last year.

If it's really to do as you say, why wouldn't you add a bay to what you have ?

Why did you spend so much money on the last overhaul of the main club house if the garage was so outdated?

A beautiful bar and lounge while all those brush fires have been raging out of control and leaving your ATV to sit in the rain is very, very hard to accept.

Just because its caller a brush truck does not mean it is ONLY used for brush fires. it is used anywhere you cant fit a full size engine, it is usefull on the powerline and on some of the driveways in town that get long, muddy, and uphill.

As for adding a bay. where would you propose to put the bay? where the repair shop is next door? maybe you could negotiate the sale for them.

Now Im not sure when and where they overhauled the "clubhouse" as It must have been a while ago because I dont remember that. But since it has been a while Im sure it was before the fire trucks started getting so much bigger, maybe not knowing the full extent of their growth.

You add a bay onto your lounge. Duh!

Again, don't be vague. How many powerline fires were delayed ? And how many long muddy driveways suffered due to the logistics ??

And don't count non emergency perks.

I know, I know this is confidential info, but if you want non club folk to support the issue, you need to play them along a little.

I'm trying to understand the benefits myself. Could we have saved the hotel with taller doors - maybe!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How many calls do the volunteers go on a week for fires?

Boy valley you are certainly mr negative nelly, Sounds like you have an ax to grind. No of course taller doors dont put out fires, but the point is they cant replace any outdeated equipment because the new stuff being made is larger that the current garage will fit. And I did not mean saving powerlines and muddey roads, Its called, the HOUUSES on powerline Rd., and HOUSES with long uphill muddy driveways, that a full size engine cannot get to. As for how many were delayed? every one technically. Because the truck blocking it needs to be moved out first every time.

By the way, the hotel was saved, did you see the bar area? you could have still served in there. The thing got torn down because the owner never sealed up the roof and rest of the open building for 2 years and weather, animals and other things like that made it a danger.

Not negative - just realistic.

First it was a "Brush Fire Truck". When asked how many brush fires we endure, what with the fire ban and all, the description was changed.

Then it was a tool of need for the powerline.

Now it's a necessity for long narrow muddy driveways.

The solution is not negative, but realistic.

Build a shed for the ATV and add a bay for the Brush Fire, Forest Fire Fighting, Narrow Muddy Driveway Brush Wacker. This way, nobody sees a delay, less money spent and everybody is happy.

Right away, you want to buy neighboring properties and run up the expense.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/fire_at...andmark_090128

If you can show that a new building will add to the overall service, then people will support it. Myself included.

You should also explain the call process. Does the 911 operator exclaim,"This one is a long narrow muddy driveway, so make some room and bring the Brush King, you're going to need it." ?

This will help us understand how the delay is developing and make further suggestions.

If it doesn't make sense to keep the extra Brushher, ask around for the highest donation and let go of it. Then you just need a shed for the ATV.

As far as the flyer and explanation that this is free money so there is no need to object is ridiculous. Was it a donation then or does grant money come free of charge?

If it has to be paid back and you're willing to take it just because you can, then the tax dollars you receive may be too high.
    Last edited by Over The Valley; March 12th, 2012 at 07:05 AM.

re read my post, its called a brush truck, not a brush FIRE truck. Its what its called. the firemen know where and what calls it needs to go to. the operator doesnt have to tell them because they spend many hours each year training and know what parts of the town, streets, and addresses need this type of truck.

as for how the residents feel, that is what this topic is about, to discuss it. you have said your peace, i have said mine. Anyone else?

Anyone else?

Sure, SUWNY is certainly not the place to talk logically. The anonymity of too many allow them to act like morons.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by slitter View Post
    re read my post, its called a brush truck, not a brush FIRE truck. Its what its called. the firemen know where and what calls it needs to go to. the operator doesnt have to tell them because they spend many hours each year training and know what parts of the town, streets, and addresses need this type of truck.
    May I ask which model, year brush truck are you looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    May I ask which model, year brush truck are you looking at?
    They already have a brush truck, I dont know model and year, just that its smaller and 4x4. I dont think they are buying a new one just looking to build a place to put there trucks so they dont have 4 vehicles in a 2 bay garage. Also when they do replace a fire engine its hard to find one that would be small enough to fit in the lower hight doors. These things are getting bigger and bigger.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Another question...

Where do the volunteer firemen usually buy the trucks from?

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information